Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Dr. Laura said :(

Anwyn, I think you're great. I don't blame you for being offended by her comment. I'm just posing another side of this conversation. You ARE allowed to have an opinion of her. I'm entitled the same right. She sits in judgement of other people because people ASK her to do that. She wouldn't have a job if no one called in and asked for it.

If someone is against racism and they point out racism does that make them a hypocrite? I think not, so it would seem that it should be okay to point out how judgmental the good doctor is without being labeled a hypocrite. I am simply "telling it as it is" something I hear is in short supply these days.

PS, I don't listen to Her

:(

What Nikki said. And then what Anwyn said! I've heard the twit, and she "thinks" she knows things but she's clueless. You can't speak on behalf of obesity without ever having walked in fat shoes. It's so easy for Laura (and the other Dork, Dr. Phil) to explain to the world how to lose weight when they've never been faced with an obsession as severe as us. Us morbidly obese people live life committing slow suicide because we're plagued with a disease that has yet to be cured. Many of us have had weight loss surgery in hopes of finding bits of the answer, so when anyone publicly speaks about obesity, they better darn well have worn polyester stretch pants for a good part of their lifes or just keep their holes shut.

If someone is against racism and they point out racism does that make them a hypocrite? I think not, so it would seem that it should be okay to point out how judgmental the good doctor is without being labeled a hypocrite. I am simply "telling it as it is" something I hear is in short supply these days.:(

Whoa, Tommy. I'm glad you're telling it like it is. I LIKE two sides to a conversation. Again, I still feel it's in short supply. People were still judging her about the topless thing without being informed about it, in case you missed that bit.

No problem here with the topless thing, I think everyone should be try it at least once a week. Although I am soon looking forward to being less well endowed than the good Doctor

What Nikki said. And then what Anwyn said! I've heard the twit, and she "thinks" she knows things but she's clueless. You can't speak on behalf of obesity without ever having walked in fat shoes. It's so easy for Laura (and the other Dork, Dr. Phil) to explain to the world how to lose weight when they've never been faced with an obsession as severe as us. Us morbidly obese people live life committing slow suicide because we're plagued with a disease that has yet to be cured. Many of us have had weight loss surgery in hopes of finding bits of the answer, so when anyone publicly speaks about obesity, they better darn well have worn polyester stretch pants for a good part of their lifes or just keep their holes shut.

DeLarla!

Very good post, I respect that. Personally, I WOULD LOVE to take on the Dr. Phills and Dr. Laura's of the world. Heck, I even want to debate Tom Cruise on depression - it just makes them look like an idiot. I myself have no problem when people make stupid non-informed statements. I love it when someone mentions within my earshot that wls is a "quick fix", or an "easy way out." I'd like to see Dr. Phil live a week in a fat suit. It still makes it easy on him since we've had to do it MOST OF OUR LIVES!

But then again, I'd like to rip cell phones out of peoples hands and pitch them when they are holding up a line at the store, or traffic. But that's another topic! ;-)

No problem here with the topless thing, I think everyone should be try it at least once a week. Although I am soon looking forward to being less well endowed than the good Doctor

LOL. Well at least you've got yourself a goal.

Guest firemeboy

I have to agree with puddinpie on this one. I don't really like to listen to Dr. Laura, but it's not because of her. It's because of the people that call in. There are times, in any person's life, when the best thing you can do for them is tell them they are an idiot. Ok, maybe not that harsh, but sometimes you need somebody to tell you you're acting like a fool.

Dr. Laura does that very well. She cuts to the heart of the matter, and lays down the smack.

If Dr. Laura was a character in the WWF, she'd be the one wielding a folding chair, and insulting 'yo mama'.

I personally don't understand why as a woman I'm NOT allowed to drive topless. How come guys can show their nips in public? Men's nipples look just like women's. I'm all for topless but I'm still embarrassed for people like Laura, Phil and Tom.

Lisa, come on. Didn't you know Dr. Laura is perfect and doesn't have any faults, get with it girl :(

Dr. Phil looks like a penis in a suit.

JMHO :)

Seriously. I don't care if she poses for tiny hooters monthly. Attacking someone's character is pretty serious business and I don't particularly find that one's character and overeating is connected. Does that mean that ALL skinny people who eat healthy have GOOD characters? Hmmmm....

I used to listen to her years ago. Too many horribly prejudiced fat comments made me turn the radio off.

If she made the same comments about RACE as she does about FAT she'd be pushing french fries at a drive through window instead of marketing hate to the masses.

I like Dr. Laura. She tells it like it is, which is in short supply these days. The fat comment might have been over the top, but you never know what this woman was telling Dr. Laura. I have to admit that I don't listen to her, but mostly because I can't stand the fact that people are calling in for advice with their moral dilemmas when they know how she's going to treat them.

Yup, it seems like the first thing she always wants to know is if you're shacking up or an unwed mother. She's real clear about her opinion on those issues. Anyone who calls and admits to doing either of those things is going to get torpedoed. They know it, so I can't feel sorry for those people.

I have to agree with puddinpie on this one. I don't really like to listen to Dr. Laura, but it's not because of her. It's because of the people that call in. There are times, in any person's life, when the best thing you can do for them is tell them they are an idiot. Ok, maybe not that harsh, but sometimes you need somebody to tell you you're acting like a fool.

Dr. Laura does that very well. She cuts to the heart of the matter, and lays down the smack. If Dr. Laura was a character in the WWF, she'd be the one wielding a folding chair, and insulting 'yo mama'.

Dr. Laura is blunt and gets right to the point. That alone is a novelty in these politically correct times. I disagree with most of what she says, but I'm willing to admit that sometimes she does have a point. The only issue where I'm fully behind her is the basic idea that when you decide to have a child, from that point on, you must consider that child's needs before your own.

{SIDEBAR} It's amazing how many people call in and don't realize this. One time I was listening to the show when a woman called in because she was having problems with her 14 year old son. She said he was disrespectful, disobedient, running with a bad crowd etc. The woman was completely bewildered that her son had turned into this nasty creature "overnight". She wanted to send him to live with his grandparents and wanted Dr. Laura's advice (read: blessing.)

During the course of the conversation, the woman revealed that she had divorced the boy's father 3 or 4 years prior and recently moved the family several hundred miles away from their hometown. (The boy's father was, of course, a deadbeat jerk). The woman had moved the family so she could be near her new boyfriend - who she hadn't actually met at the time because he was in prison. Soon after the move, the mother got engaged to the jailbird/future stepdad. Meanwhile, the boy was uprooted from school and all of his friends, moved hours away from his father, and presented with a future stepdad who is a convicted felon. Mom was so happy now - new home, new man, new lease on life - but her son was trying to ruin everything for her. Needless to say, Dr. L ripped that lady a new one. This was a clear case of someon who really did need to be smacked upside the head.{/SIDEBAR}

Anyway, regarding the caller with the overweight husband, Dr. Laura's comments have been rude, prejudiced, hurtful (and the same as many people who've never had a weight problem.) Obesity is a lack of character. What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Dr. Laura's show is offensive to many, but she must get ratings if she's still on the radio. I guess my point is, when you call into the show, you know what you're going to get. And when you tune into the show, you know what you're going to get. It makes no sense to be hurt by something that is said by a woman who is known to be offensive and unkind. It's like a heroin addict telling me I'm raising my kids improperly - who gives a crap about their opinion?