Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any ideas behind this reasoning...

I have my meeting with the surgeon on Monday (11/1). His way of doing things after surgery doesn't seem to go along with a lot of what I'm reading here. After surgery I will not have a fill, but I will be on 3 weeks of liquid then 3 weeks of puree. At 6 weeks he will do my first fill.

Now of course I have this 'question' on my list of things to ask him on Monday but just curious about your thoughts.:thumbup:

"His way of doing things after surgery doesn't seem to go along with a lot of what I'm reading here."

Interesting, I read this forum for 3 months pre-surgery and I was under the assumption no fill until 6 weeks was the normal. My surgeon does not do a fill until at least 6 weeks because your stomach needs time to heal?

My fill was on the 6th week following surgery.

My surgeon says the same thing. No pre-op diet, but three weeks liquids after surgery, then on to pureed, then on to solids. Somewhere in there a fill or two happens. :thumbup:

Dave

KU is a little more extensive than most i think. I have a 2 week pre op diet, then after surgery its 4 weeks liquid, 3 weeks pureed, 2-3 weeks soft foods, then regular food. . I also hear on here a lot of food amounts that are more than my hospital recommends. I am only to eat 3/4 cup 3 times a day when I get to my regular food. I have seen some eat 1 1/2 or 2 cups. I think it is different for everyone. i am choosing to TRY to follow my Dr.'s direction to the T as I trust the hospital and surgeon.

My surgeon also does the surgery by only making one hole in the belly button which is different. (Only 5 surgeons in the US can do that)

Thanks for the replies.. I didn't mean the 6 weeks to wait for a fill but more the 6 weeks of liquid/puree. Some people I have heard from only had 1 week post-op on liquid then off to solids.

Thanks again!

I had a one week clear, sugar free diet pre-op, one week clear liquid diet post op, one week full liquids, one week pureed foods, one week soft foods, one week modified normal foods, then off to normal foods, no bread/pasta/red meat for 8 weeks.

I'll have my first fill 6 weeks after my surgery date. Can't wait!

I had 6 weeks of liquids - 3 days of clears after surgery then the rest of the time was "full liquids" which included Protein shakes, well blended Soups, thin oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc. It was difficult but I made it without cheating (I did have a few bites of solids/soft foods towards the end).

I did & still do what my doctor recommends - I'm not going to mess anything up since it took so long to go thru all of the insurance stuff to get approved.

My surgeon has had me on two weeks (he prefers 3) of very low carb pre-surgery diet. On the last day before surgery (TOMORROW!) I will be on Clear Liquids only. After surgery, he will have me on 3 weeks of clear liquids, 3 weeks of pureed foods, and then "gradually" reintroduce solid foods. Apparently he will actually do a small amount of fill at the time of surgery, but after that the first fill is at 6 weeks.

I had two weeks of liquids and then two of mushies.

But six is not unheard of.

You need to give your body time to heal.

I don't think that sounds too unreasonable. I got the band on 09/08/10. I was on liquid pre-op diet for 2 weeks prior, liquids after for about 2 weeks after, then was able to start on soft, mushy foods. I've also been very careful about my chewing. I've not had any problems with any food and have not had any pains. I have had issues with taking some meds a couple of times, where I almost had to throw up, but was able to hold it down. Good luck to you. Let us know how you do.

Thanks again... it all makes more sense now :wink2: I appreciate the response.

I had 3 days of Clear Liquids. Then 2 weeks full liquid (and very liquidy puree), 2 weeks pureed/mushy, 2 week soft, and then regular foods slowly. It seems fairly normal. Ive read about people not following that diet (like eating pizza and stuff a week out of surgery)...maybe thats what you were reading about.

I have my meeting with the surgeon on Monday (11/1). His way of doing things after surgery doesn't seem to go along with a lot of what I'm reading here. After surgery I will not have a fill, but I will be on 3 weeks of liquid then 3 weeks of puree. At 6 weeks he will do my first fill.

Now of course I have this 'question' on my list of things to ask him on Monday but just curious about your thoughts.:wink2:

I look at it this way...You have to have faith in your surgeon to allow him to perform your surgery..why not trust him to guide you during your healing process. I was banded the 8th and I followed 14 days of liquids and then began to step up gradually. This process allows your stomach to heal properly.Follow his recommendations to a "T". I am only allowed 2 ounces of food 5xday. 2 ounces = 1/4 cup. until I am properly healed. I hope this helps in a small way...Blessings..Jill

I look at it this way...You have to have faith in your surgeon to allow him to perform your surgery..why not trust him to guide you during your healing process. I was banded the 8th and I followed 14 days of liquids and then began to step up gradually. This process allows your stomach to heal properly.Follow his recommendations to a "T". I am only allowed 2 ounces of food 5xday. 2 ounces = 1/4 cup. until I am properly healed. I hope this helps in a small way...Blessings..Jill

I do not get a fill until 6 weeks either:(