Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to site! Slipped Band & Failed :(

Hi everyone :thumbup:

Im new to this site & its great reading everybodies stories, the up's & down's, the success etc.

Here is my story -albeit, one of the not so successful at this stage.

I was banded back in 2004 in Sydney. I weighed 120 kgs and lost 86kgs. In 2007 i experienced over-restriction, when i was quite ill in hospital (with the flu), and had all my fill removed. From this point onwards, i neglected to get any fill for about 2 years. I then noticed my weight creeping on (around 100kgs). During this time i had moved interstate to Perth. I decided i would find a new lap-band surgeon who could give me a fill - and get the weight-loss ball rolling again. After having a barium swallow and confirming everything was fine - I had a 2ml fill. I then found it hard to keep fluids down and experienced bad reflux - so i had 1ml taken out, and figured it was too big a fill first time round after having none for so long. So, i sat on 1ml fill. I fell pregnant (2009). During my pregnancy i vomitted quite a bit, had terrible reflux and didn't have it seen too, and now, as a result of, i have a chronic slip and it must be removed!

I am faced with the decision a) being re-banded, :thumbup: have a gastric sleeve or c) leave myself with nothing except my willpower.

I am leaning towards a) being re-banded. Having 80% of my stomach removed via gastric sleeving would worry me way too much, and is PERMANENT. Also, the risk, albeit small, of having a leaking stomach scares me. c) Relying on willpower isnt an option for me at this point in my life.

My surgeon at the moment believes that such a bad slip that occured at some point within the last 2 years, could be due to vommitting too much, or because when i had my lapband procedure done, it was considered early days of for perfoming the procedure and the stitching may not have been tight enough etc.

So, decision time awaits me - but regardless, this band must come out anyway.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Sorry to whinge - but im still in shock and only found out 2 days ago!!

Your Dr is right, there is a newer 2 step process to install the band that significantly reduces the chance for slips. I read about it on pubmed.gov. You can go there and search adjustable gastric band and 2 step to find the clinical study report.

I personally will never go back to nothing, its forever the band or sleeve for me. Good luck with your choice.

Hi Cathy,i was banded only 6 weeks ago so i cant give you a ton of advice as im at the beginning of the journey,when i was considering the surgery and options i was the same as you,wasnt interested in the sleeve as its so permanent,im just hoping the band works out,i had my first fill of 1ml 5 days ago,it seems to be to be holding back my hunger,sometimes im not sure as nuts as that sounds,when you said you hd 2mls i was surprised as my doc gave me the impression 1 ml was a large fill,anyway im sorry to hear about your band slip,it sounds like youve had a rough time,i hope you decide to get rebanded,maybe this time have it monitored more closely,good luck,if you lost weight before,you can do it again.