Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it in the band or in the mind?

Heres my story, I was banded 4 week and 3 days ago and including 1 week pre op diet I have lost 32 pounds down from 278 to 236 and I am more than happy, I feel great - I had my first fill yesterday and feel no different, after I recovered from surgery after about two weeks I felt no difference to how I was before but I tried so had sticking to below 1000 calories a day but still eating alot of heathly food. I feel under pressure to do well as people who know you have a gastric band think the weight just drops off you but as we all know that isn't the case. After surgery I asked my surgeon if my band had anything in it and he said no, when I had my fill yesterday I was told I already had 4cc and he put another 3 in to make it to 7cc in a 10cc band. What I am thinking is that maybe I have felt restriction and thats why I had lost 32 so maybe it is the band helping me or is it that my mind has helped me lose the pounds by reacting in a way not to make me seem to myself and to others that I am failing. All my life, which I am sure that many of you can relate to, when I have dieted I am so committed and can lose alot but the second that my mind stops wanting to lose weight then the diet is over and I find myself looking for the highest calorie food!!. What I am hoping is that band is help even though I am not feeling a restriction and that in the next few weeks I will not fall off the band wagon as this is why I have had the banding in the first place - hope this make sense!! - next fill on November 23rd so have to stay strong till then!! p.s another thing is that I was self funded which I feel may make my mind stronger as I dont want to waste 7K pounds!

I felt the same way as you. I was eating less, and I didn't know if it was me trying really hard, or the band at work. I think it was a mixture of both. I wanted to have a good mindset, and also my band had about 2cc's.

I haven't fallen off the bandwagon yet, and I'm 4 months post-op. I've had my 4th fill on Monday, and feeling great.

Keep up the great attitude and you'll continue to do well.

Hi, I was just banded 10/4/10 and I am feeling better then ever. I too lost 32 lbs, but I came to realize most of it is Fluid weight.

The problem I had is I NEVER felt hungry or full before. I felt stuffed from overeating, but never hungry. Eating was a way of life and now it is changing. I am now paying more attention to the foods and how they are feeling after chewing chewing chewing. So I guess I feel the same as you, it IS part band and part the mind. After all it is a life changing system.

Keep up the good work and never feel like you failed. That is other people who will look at you and say "you didn't lose that much". But we all know the healthy way to lose and keep it off is losing 1 -2 lbs a week. That is our goal. :w00t::sneaky:

At the beginning, it's definitely primarily the mind. As you work toward, and ultimately achieve, restriction, the game changes quite a bit.

how does it change?

I needed to hear Betsy's post on this one!! I have had such a tough week with food!! Iv done great for the past 3 months but always felt it was mostly me doing the work. Iv had 2 fills so far and have a little restriction. My 3 month anniversary is tomorrow. I am getting back on track after this week but I cannot wait till I get the restriction so this mental mode switches for a change!!

I think it is both. Your mind and your Band working together. I was always an emotional eater and I must still be as I always want to eat when emotional issues arise even though I have no hunger, so you still have to control your thinking or off you will go to the kitchen. I am 15 months out and just starting to give in sometimes and then regret it. I am going to have to toughen up again and not let my emotions rule what goes into my mouth. I can not stop the emotions from coming just need to use the coping skills I know, instead of looking to food for comfort.

Cheri

Cheri,

I understand what you mean about emotional eating. What are the most effective strategies you use to divert yourself from eating when you are not hungry?