Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't lost an ounce...help!

I was banded on 10/11/10 and then I was on liquids for 7 days, I lost 10 pounds during that week. Then I went to pureed for a week and now I'm on soft food. I started logging my food just to watch my Protein intake. I have been eating between 500 and 700 calories a day and the highest I've been able to get on my protein is about 55. I literally haven't lost an ounce since I started the pureed stage, although I haven't gained. I'm not hungry so no complaints with that but why am I not losing??

Maybe try putting all of your meals and exercise logs into a fitday (or equivillant) account and see if the calories you're eating are higher than the ones you're burning.

You'd be surprised...Especially on pureed food. I had no idea how much sugar was in pureed fruit that you by from the supermarket :-/ eek.

Dont stress. I am/ was in the same boat at the same time. My scale of doom sucks. I went to the doctor today and his scale is much more accurate. I lost 3 pounds that my scale didn't even register. Stay off until your first post op visit. You are so soon out of surgery anyways.

I am not sure what to say. Are you exercising everyday/ If not I would recommend the gym or a brisk walk for at least 20 minutes 5 times a week. Watch the sodium intake too. It can help you retain fluids. You will lose eventually if you stay on track. You can do it and you will see the results soon.

debbie

I was banded on 10/11/10 and then I was on liquids for 7 days, I lost 10 pounds during that week. Then I went to pureed for a week and now I'm on soft food. I started logging my food just to watch my Protein intake. I have been eating between 500 and 700 calories a day and the highest I've been able to get on my Protein is about 55. I literally haven't lost an ounce since I started the pureed stage, although I haven't gained. I'm not hungry so no complaints with that but why am I not losing??

I don't think you're getting enough calories. Our bodies become extremely efficient at conserving energy when it doesn't receive enough fuel.

The first 3 weeks after surgery I only lost about 2lbs. I had to get back on regular food before the weight loss really took off.

I started at 384 lbs at my pre-op visit, 383 day of surgery (March 9), 381 on March 28. A month later on April 29th I was 350lbs. I am now 19 months out from surgery and this morning before Breakfast I was 215.

Two choices, either keep on as you are and be patient or try upping your calories just a bit (I'd try for somewhere between 1000 and 1200.. assuming you are average height..) and see if that helps.

If you are exercising, do something different, either more or just a different routine. If you aren't exercising, start moving. Even just walking will make a huge difference. If you think "I don't have time to exercise".. au contraire.. we can build exercise into our daily lives with small actions.

Make yourself walk one whole circuit of the store before you start putting stuff in your cart or basket. Park further away from the store. Return the shopping cart to the store when finished.. don't use the corral. Take the silverware one fork at a time from the dishwasher to the drawer. Do lunges across the floor when putting them away. Sweep your carpet with a broom instead of a vacuum (uses more energy). Carry the laundry one piece at a time to be put away. Hang your clothes outside if you live where you can have a clothesline. While none of these alone is a huge calorie burn.. over all they add up.

Walk your dog. Don't have a dog? Ask your neighbor if you can walk theirs. Be creative. :laugh:

Hang in there.. if you follow MOST of the bandster guidelines MOST of the time, the weight will come off.

You're healing. Before our surgeries and right after we, for some reason, have such high standards and expectations. While many people lose a lot of weight during the pre-op liquid diet as well as the post-op liquid diet, that rate of weight-loss does not last.

Point is, you're still healing. You will be until you're 6-weeks post-op, if not longer. Right now focus on that. Stay off the scale, as it really doesn't help you except cause obvious frustration and doubt. Allow your body to heal first before you're looking for it to continue to drop weight. Surgery takes a toll on the body, keep that in mind.

Continue to track your food. Maybe up your Protein if you can. Take a short walk around the block and see what it does for you. Get into the routine of exercising when your surgeon gives you the go-ahead.

I don't think you are getting in enough calories. Although during this stage it is hard and I would not worry about it until you can start eating normal again. I too had a hault in the scale during this stage.

I am with the other posts...NOT ENOUGH CALORIES! Also, you need to rev your metabolism up. Don't go longer than 3 hrs. without eating a little of something. The key is to keep your metabolism going by keeping digestion going. If you go long periods without eating your body conserves all the calories you take in and stores it as fat because it thinks you are in famine. If your body gets used to the fact that it knows it will get food again (ie. energy) in another couple of hours then it will allow the calories you take in to be burned because it knows it will get food (ie. energy) again in just a bit. Of course, exercise and lots of Protein helps alot as well. Good luck!