Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone worried it won't work?

I haven't had mine done yet, but like I was told and knew prior to the seminar I attended "this isn't a magic wand". Its about an extra tool to help control the over eating. Its got to be something in your mind that you are willing to do and work at. Its knowing this is my life, this is how I have to eat and excercise because I was not born in a family of twigs... the genes I've been blessed with are more of the oak variety :huh2:

Weight will always be a battle for those of us who are over weight, its how we choose to handle it.

Good luck! :)

How weird are people huh? Even today having lost all the weight I have because (in part) of the band, I still have people insisting on telling me stories about those people who got the band who didn't lose an ounce.

And yet the statistics show that the majority of people who get the band lose approx 60% of their excess weight. And there are those like me, who lose more than 100% of their excess weight. The difference is, I'm not really 'news', am I? Not as interesting as the poor person who went through the surgery and didn't lose.

I got to goal over 2 years ago and have kept it off. In fact, over the last two years, I've gone on to lose another 22lbs without even trying to. There are lots of success stories, many, many more, I suspect, than horror stories. It's just most people don't bother talking about success, but they do talk about struggling, and pain and lack of success a lot, it's only human nature.

Lorraine, you wrote:

"I have had horrible eating habits, which did not change when I got the band. The band only changes your stomach, but it does not change how you think about food, you have to do that on your own and that is the hard part. I often 'forget' I even have the band... Im being honest, i really thought everything was going to be different then it wasnt..."

Please don't get discouraged....you are only 3 months post-op.....I am 7 months out, and it took this long for me to get to enough restriction to lose....and believe me, if you are at the proper restriction it's pretty hard to "forget" you have the band. And someone else mentioned knowing someone who failed because she didn't go back for her fills....well of course it won't work if you don't follow up with your surgeon and get your fills! I can see how it could happen though, all through "banster hell" I COULD eat anything that I ate before, but when I finally reached restriction that changed, and I remember feeling a little panic set in, and thoughts like "wow, this is it.....now I can't eat like i did before".( For some people i think when they realize that they can't eat like they did before they choose not to have fills so that they can continue to eat what they want.) That was about a month ago, but now the weight is coming off and and I feel wonderful. It's a process, and it takes more time for some of us to get going, but all you have to do is read the sucess stories on here to know it CAN and DOES work!

I eat 3 small to medium meals per day but pick pick pick ALl day ---- I'M SO AFRAID of this with a band - what will happen? what should I expect?? i didn't realize that i was an emotional eater and that I ate out of boredom but that's exactly what I do - i'm READY to make the changes necessary to make this tool WORK but where do i start with making these changes? and who else is like me and how did it work for you? I can't fail yet again :thumbup:

Even though I had to wait 8.5 months for surgery I was still nervous the night before. I would compare it to getting on the rollercoster and the very slow assent to the top before you plunge down. You have all that time to ponder what the plunge will feel like. I was concerned I would not loose as quickly as other posters on this forum. To be truthful I do think I have been slower. However between my first consult and surgery I lost about 55 pounds. So I had lost all my Water weight lonngggg before the surgery.

I am scheduled for November 22. I was looking forward to getting my band but my mom mentioned today that a friend of hers was getting her band out. Long story short, I am now worried about it not working. I feel like I have researched the surgery enough to make a good decision. Anyone else been here?:thumbup:

I'm not worried about the band doing it's part, I know that's gonna work.

The part that worries me daily is whether I am doing my part! The band is only part of the puzzle, I still have to work to undo 26 years of bad eating habits!

I know my band won't fail me and because I am determined I will not fail my band.

I was banded yesterday and I did not even tell my mother or my sister because I was afraid of their negativity. I have great fears that this will be just another failure in my life of weight control, but I keep pushing those fears to the back and keep my focus on my new lifestyle. I will also say that very single person that dealt with me at the hospital was encouraging and supportive, which did wonders in reducing my anxiety.