Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone on blood thinner and banded?

I take Coumadin and plan to have the LAP-BAND® soon. Was informed that instead of a overnight stay, I would have to stay 3-5 days. Discouraged somewhat.

Anyone else experience this?

I was on coumadin to treat a blood clot. My surgeon also mentioned I may end up being in the hospital longer.

To test for blood clotting capacity I came off BT for 3 weeks (I went on Asparin). The test came back that I would need to continue on BT but my Hemotologist felt tht I could stay off it until my surgery; which was only a week away. After the surgery I went back on BT. The issue is that they worry about hematoma (pocket or localized collection of blood usually in liquid form within the tissue); near the port incision. I had NO ISSUES and only spent one night in the hospital (which is normal for my surgeon).

I would talk with your PCP or Hemotologist about whether you can stop coumadin 10 days pre surgery; or consider other options like Lovenox (an injected blood thinner). Lovenox apprarently is less likely to cause issues during surgery. I have never given myself a Lovenox shot but I've received them; and think if needs must I could have done the shots myself.

So I would see what your treatment options are.

I take Coumadin and plan to have the LAP-BAND® soon. Was informed that instead of a overnight stay, I would have to stay 3-5 days. Discouraged somewhat.

Anyone else experience this?

Just in case others have the same question or concern, here is what happened in my case.

I was admitted the day before surgery and Hephrin drip started. This IV was used throughout my stay at the hospital (5 days) until my Coumadin/Warfarin #'s were regulated. I could have went home on day four but was kept as a precaution. From what I understand, the Hephrin can be turned off 30 minutes before surgery and started afterward where the Coumadin had to be stopped four days prior to surgery and weaned back in.

Hephrin (fast acting) and Coumadin (long acting, stays in system).

Surgery went well for my Lap Band. I experienced a lot of shoulder pain from the gas and the first week was a lot harder than I expected but I am older (51). I was glad that I was in the hospital for that week due to the pain involved while I adjusted to the new me. I was back to work the following week although I did not stay a full day for a few days but day by day, I did better, felt better, etc. I am loving the results and would definitely do this again.

Hope this helps to all others on Coumadin.