Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have to have a third band replacement?

I was just told by my surgeon that they will be removing my band on 11/18 because this is my second band and they do not give their patients a third band.

The first band failed within two weeks of my surgical date. I kept trying to tell my doctor that the protien supplements he insisted on me using were making me sick and making me throw up. He decided I was just being a whiney baby and pretty much told me to keep doing what I was told to do and not question him.

The current band (my second) recently slipped. I ate some undercooked Pasta and it continued to absorb Fluid after I ate it. Since it was really Gummy, it formed a plug and I wasn't able to eat or drink for four days. On the fourth day, I tried to flush it through with a bunch of Water and ended up ripping the band out of place and throwing up the gummy Pasta plug.

You'll probably ask why I didn't go to my doctor and have him unfill the band. Here's some background info. In a presurgical seminar, I was asking some questions about things I've read here on Lapband Talk. I was trying to ask him what typically caused stoma blockage, but he interrupted me thinking I was asking about what to do if mine got blocked. He told me and the rest of the people in the room that if any of his lapband patients got stuff stuck in their band, "don't come running to me, I won't unfill your band and you can just suffer the consequences of not following my instructions, maybe you'll learn something and not do it again." Frankly, I wanted to bolt from the room and find another surgeon, but the procedure deposit was non-refundable and I was just stuck with him.

Two weeks after the pasta incident, I had an myleogram. The guy who did it also did lapband fills. He told me it had slipped and he contacted my doctor's office. Instead of calling me in, my doc just looked at the pictures and told me he'd put it in at an angle for whatever reason he had when he did the first revision. Since I wasn't having any eating problems, I didn't argue with him (not that this guy is open to any kind of opinion that differs from his). I started noticing my meds were getting stuck and started forcing the pills through the band. After three more weeks, I was unable to eat or drink anything without having to force it through the band and was aspirating stomach fluids in my sleep.

So, now I am only given the option of a bypass or band removal. I'm quite torn as to what to do. I'm asking for feedback. Should I just let them remove it and try to maintain the weight I've lost (108 lbs in the last 20 months) or should I find another doctor and give it one more try? All opinions are welcome, even if you agree with the doctor.

Thanks for any input,

Charlotte

Edited by Chuckie

Honestly? After that kind of ordeal, I'd look hard at alternatives. Sounds like your banding hasn't been good, so a third one almost seems like asking for more trouble.

Bypass is radical and irreversible. There are complications, and if you don't have lots more weight to lose, it may be unnecessary.

Have you considered vertical sleeve? You get the restriction you need, there is no slippage possible, no fills needed, you can take whatever meds you need to take, and you can manage your diet to suit your situation. Since you already know how to eat with a band, you can do the same with the sleeve. You'd be way ahead of the curve. So that's my vote.

Good luck, regardless of what you decide!

Dave

Thanks Dave. I've got 85 more pounds to lose. I've had my current band for almost two years. The first one was replaced four months after the first one. That one wouldn't have slipped if my doctor would have helped me find options to replace the whey protien supplements during the clear liquid post-surgical phase. I did finally find that a mixture of whey and soy protiens work best for me and don't make me barf my guts out. Too bad he didn't help me make that discovery before it was too late.

If my doctor hadn't told me not to call him if anything got stuck, the band would not have slipped this time. Had I been able to call, go in and get it unfilled to clear the blockage, I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now.

If it weren't for those two occurances, I'd just let them take it out without considering a third band. I'm just wondering if I'd had better support from my doctor, perhaps neither of the bands would have slipped.

As far as the vertical banding, I've been reading about it on the forum today. It sounds like it would be a good option to try if my insurance would cover it (which it does not) and my doctor hadn't discontinued using that procedure. If I could find a doctor that still did VB surgery and would be willing to duke it out with the insurance company to see if they'd pay since the band didn't work for me, I'd still need to find another doctor. The insurance company might make an exception since we've already tried an alternative method. If my insurance company is willing to pay, my guess is that they'd want it done at the same time the band comes out. So then the question becomes, should I bother or just let them take the band out?

Please find a new doctor and don't do any more surgery with this one. You need someone that can help you if you need it, no matter which surgery you decide.

As far as the vertical banding, I've been reading about it on the forum today. It sounds like it would be a good option to try if my insurance would cover it (which it does not) and my doctor hadn't discontinued using that procedure.

Make sure you're not confusing vertical gastrectomy with vertical gastroplasty. The first is the sleeve procedure that is still gaining in popularity. The second is stomach stapling, which most surgeons no longer perform because it doesn't work very well.

All else being equal, and if your insurance company won't budge, then I think I'd opt to having the band removed, and don't do anything else at the moment. Start saving like crazy, then self-pay with a better doctor for the surgery you want, if it turns out you need it. I'm seeing ads all over this forum for lap bands for less than $4K, and sleeves for less than $5K. You might want to spend a bit of time reviewing www.verticalsleevetalk.com, the sister site to this one. It is an enormous resource, and the success stories will amaze you. A great number of people on that forum are self-pay, since their insurance carriers won't pay for it either.

Good luck!

Dave

Dave, the gastric sleeve that you're talking about is the one where they actually remove part of the stomach and suture the rest of it into a tube-like structure, right?

I just checked. My insurance company does cover that. And it looks like I won't have to put up much of a fight for it since I've already had two band surgeries. They will cover a different procedure if you've already tried a less invasive method and it didn't work for you.

Now just to convince the hubby and find a doctor who'll do the procedure. I'm going to call my doctor's office on Monday to discuss this option, see if they're willing to do the procedure or whether they'll need to refer me to another surgeon. They don't list that as a procedure they do, but I know one of the surgeons has done them in the past.

As far as finding another doctor, this surgeon is the best bariatric surgeon in the region as far as his skill in the O.R. There are nurses that come all the way from Columbia University Hospital, a two hour drive just so this guy can do their bypasses. It's his bedside manner that sucks. He does have a new surgeon in his practice that I like a lot. I know the newer patients opting for the band are not being treated with the same disrespect as I have been now that the new doctor is here. I wouldn't mind if the (insert foul word here) does the surgery as long as my post op care is with the other guy.

Off on a road trip. Will be back tomorrow to read any further posts!

Thanks so much!!

Dave, the gastric sleeve that you're talking about is the one where they actually remove part of the stomach and suture the rest of it into a tube-like structure, right?

Yes. Different names, but the same procedure. What makes the sleeve work well is that your digestive tract is left intact. Your stoma and pylorus are not changed. Your intestinal tract is not modified. Basically, everything is left alone, except the stretchy part of the stomach is removed, so you can't eat very much. But if you're experienced eating with a lapband, you already know how to eat small.

One of the biggest advantages to sleeve surgery is removing the stretchy part of the stomach also removes the grehlin, which is where hunger pains come from. Imagine a life where you have to remind yourself to eat, because you never feel hungry.

And before you ask: I would love to have this surgery for myself, but my insurance won't cover it yet. I don't want to wait, so I'm having band surgery first. If I need further help later on, (and if my insurance will pay for it), I'll have it revised to the sleeve.

Good luck!

Dave

I just checked. My insurance company does cover that. And it looks like I won't have to put up much of a fight for it since I've already had two band surgeries. They will cover a different procedure if you've already tried a less invasive method and it didn't work for you.

Now just to convince the hubby and find a doctor who'll do the procedure. I'm going to call my doctor's office on Monday to discuss this option, see if they're willing to do the procedure or whether they'll need to refer me to another surgeon. They don't list that as a procedure they do, but I know one of the surgeons has done them in the past.

As far as finding another doctor, this surgeon is the best bariatric surgeon in the region as far as his skill in the O.R. There are nurses that come all the way from Columbia University Hospital, a two hour drive just so this guy can do their bypasses. It's his bedside manner that sucks. He does have a new surgeon in his practice that I like a lot. I know the newer patients opting for the band are not being treated with the same disrespect as I have been now that the new doctor is here. I wouldn't mind if the (insert foul word here) does the surgery as long as my post op care is with the other guy.

Off on a road trip. Will be back tomorrow to read any further posts!

Thanks so much!!

If I were you I would get copies of all test results, including operative reports from both surgeries, all upper GI's, etc..and then take all of this to another surgeon for a second opinion.

Whatever you do -DO NOT GO BACK TO THIS SURGEON - anyone who says don't call his office if you get stuck is irresponsible not to mention unethical. It is his job to help you when you have problems. You've already had several problems while under his care. You are asking for more trouble if you continue any relationship with him.

Don't even call his office except to ask for all the test results. If there are any CD's of the upper GI's available (from hospital records) get them. When you call and ask for this they will know you have a reason. Don't tell them why. It is your right to have access to them.

Good luck.

Sorry this is happening to you. I am having a revision surgery because my tubing is broken off. I had my surgery in Mexico and since I now have bariatric coverage, I can fix it at home. I am still debating between the band and the sleeve. My doctor says the sleeve is the way to go. He said once you have one complication, there is an 85% chance anther problem will occur. It's no fun having a broken band! I am just thankful I found a surgeon to fix my problem.

My opinion, for what it's worth, which is not a darn thing...I'd not hesitate to revise to another procedure.

If I had already had two bands. It would tell me that bands weren't right for me. I understand you feel there were extenuating circumstances, and it does appear there were, as to why the bands failed, but fail they did, and I'd not want to risk another failed band at this point.

I don't know much about the Vertical Sleeve, my insurance doesn't cover it. But I do know that for me, if I did not have some sort of surgical intervention, I'd put the weight back on, and back would come the problems that have been corrected with its loss.

Best wishes to you! I am sure it is not an easy decision!