Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CAUTION-study participation-read the fine print!

Hello - I thought I would share one experience I had with my banding process. With so much paperwork we (at least me) just sign without reading the fine print. In the first stack of paperwork was an optional agreement to participate in a medical study (basically, allowing my dr to relay my weight loss and blood workup, ..stuff that needs to be done anyway). I agreed and signed it.

I was in the pre-op room getting blood drawn, wiping my body down with antibacterial rags and getting ready for surgery in 30 minutes. A medical student came by and asked me to sign this paperwork to participate in a study. I read the fine print and they were going to take a liver biopsy (cut a chunk off my liver). First off I was overwhelmed with anxiety 30 minutes before surgery and couldn't believe that was in the fine print. The med student says "oh, everyone participates for the most part, its just paperwork". I said F U and told my surgeon when he visited me prior to surgery to not take a liver biopsy.

Happy banding!

My surgery was delayed like 3 hours while I lay waiting so I probably would not have been in the best mood either. My hospital is a teaching facility so there was a document I signed giving them permission to have medical students in the room (some of whom came to see me before and after surgery) and to film the procedure (with a guarantee that my face and name would not be used).

I ALWAYS read everything that I am given. It is wise not to rush me because I will not speed things up just so that someone can meet a timeline. It is ME on the table and I will not compromise myself by not reading everything on every page. Nope.

That said, I would be very willing to participate in a study anonymously. How do you think doctors learn and science advances? Were it not for study volunteers, none of us would be in this forum right now talking about being banded. I think of scientific studies as my opportunity to pay it forward for humanity. (not a pompous thing, just really what it is)

Besides, there are many times that you will get PAID to be a study participant. I used to do that A LOT when I worked at a medical school. There were always opportunities to participate in paid studies and several investigators called me back for additional - paid - studies.

I chose to participate in a fatty liver study. I get paid $100 for ever MRI they do and they will be taking a biopsy of my liver. Im not worried about it, and know they are taking it, and feel very comfortable about doing it. Maybe it will help someone else in the future?

I chose to participate in a fatty liver study. I get paid $100 for ever MRI they do and they will be taking a biopsy of my liver. Im not worried about it, and know they are taking it, and feel very comfortable about doing it. Maybe it will help someone else in the future?

Yes, yes, yes! That is exactly the point. Study volunteers = advances in science and medicine :blushing::thumbup::smile2: