Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Fill! Thought I had Realize Band??

As far as I am aware the swedish and realize bands are the same thing.

As far as I am aware the swedish and realize bands are the same thing.

I thought the same thing and I kept saying to my doctor arent they the same. However he says no and I have found info to support what he says.

Check out this info direct from Realize's site.

www.realize.com/dtcf/pages/lap-band-comparison.htm

Outside the United States, the REALIZE Band is known as the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB), and it has been used in patients since 1986.

There is still a band called the SAGB and not the realize band

Compare Adjustable Gastric Bands - LAP-BAND vs. REALIZE Band

• The REALIZE Band is based on the technology of the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB), the original soft, low-pressure balloon design, with improvements to the gastric band locking mechanism and injection port technology.

Three generations of improvements:

• 2009 - REALIZE Band-C
  • 2007 - REALIZE Band
  • 1996 - SAGB (Outside US)

Now you all got me confused...lol...I will have to bring this print out to my dr..lol...I just wnat to know how much I have in my band!...i specifically asked him if I had realize band and he said "no, you have the lapband 11cc same as the realize band cc wise"..oh well..will ask him again when I go back in! Thanks all..

Nicole, as far as how much is in your band, it really doesn't matter. The amount you need in your band is the amount you need for restriction. What is actually in there is academic. My doctor's notes said i had 4cc in mine when I went for my last fill. I thought I had 5.5. I asked for a small fill of .25cc. The NP loaded .25 in the syringe, entered the port and withdrew everyhting, just to check I've not had a leak. Low and behold there was a total of 6.0. We are not really sure where things went astray, but it really didn't matter. The fact was I had pretty good restriction, but wanted a little more. It is based on how you feel, not the amount of Fluid in the band.

If you have great restriction at 3cc in a 10cc or 14cc band...great!

I didn't ask what band I had until my 3rd or 4th post-op visit. I have the AP Standard, which is the 10cc band. But my surgeon tells me they can put more than that in it if I need it. I won't. I will say it is good to know what band you have from a medical device standpoint. If there is a recall or some such. But yes, all these different bands? Very confusing!