Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Fill! Thought I had Realize Band??

Hey everyone! I had my 2nd fill today. The doc put in 2 more CC's for a total of 6 in my 11cc Lapband! For those of you who have seen my posts Iv been struggling for the past month because I have not had any restriction since after surgery, my weight loss stalled for a month. I did finally lose a couple pounds in the past week. I have been working out alot and following Weight Watchers until I get restriction. Anyway, the whole way through my pre-op the dr.office advertised Realize band and that is what they used so I assumed that is the band I got. Today I happened to ask how much Fluid my band held and he told me it was an 11cc lapband..he said right before my surgery they changed back to lapband because in their practice they saw better results with lapband and the fills took better and were easier! Whod a thunk?? So im kinda shocked because I had myself convinced Realize was better after researching. Im not at all upset just surprised. Im switching teams now:) I have lost a total of 34lbs since my surgery on 7/30/10 and lost 7lbs since my last fill 6wks ago. I feel that is slow, slower than I wnt but they seem to think Im doing great. My doc only does fills every 6wks. I am really praying I have restriction now! this last 6 weeks felt like 6mnths. I am on mushies for 2 days than back to regular food. I need to refocus on the band rules now since I kinda been off track with chewing and taking small bites. I do have questions, how were you after your 2nd fill? did you get restriction if you didnt have it before? What should I look for when I eat or drink? and does it sometimes take a couple days to feel the full impact of the fill? Thanks!!

My doctor uses both Realize and Lap Band; he makes his decision based on the anatomy of the patient. He doesn't discern a "better," band-wise, but chooses the 11 cc Realize band for patients whose stomachs are smaller, and 14 cc Lap-Band for patients with higher BMIs and/or stomachs that are anatomically larger.

I am always interested in how different the doctors' viewpoints are.

As an aside, I'm amazed that you can follow Weight Watchers; even before I had restriction, I couldn't have eaten that much once my band was in place. Are you able to meet all the healthy guidelines?

I wish I were able to eat that way and lose weight; Weight Watchers put the last 50 pounds on my freakish body (no joke).

Yes, I get in plenty of food and have no prob meeting the guidelines. On WW im allowed 34points but I usually am getting around 25 a day so not quite as much as I could pre-band. I have had hardly any restriction since being banded so hoping I have more for this one. I agree about the doctors its amazing how different they are in EVERYTHING! Iv been a bad girl and since I dont have restriction havnt been measuring my food or watching how I chew or bite size so I am going to recommit to doing that now with this 2nd fill! Fingers are crossed!

My surgeon also does both types of bands and bases it on the size of the person's stomach/BMI.

Betsy, I also gained weight on WW. That was back when they used to applaud the losers and boo those who gained or remained the same that week. The head of the program who loved to brag about how "if I can do it, anyone can" actually told me I was a liar and cheat because nobody gains on WW. Then I also found out she only had 25 pounds to lose and that was her after baby weight. She'd never been overweight for more than a year in her entire life. What a dumbass.

Edited by ElfiePoo

How long did it take you to lose 102 lbs? I weigh in just a tad more than you did to start off. I was on the sugar buster diet 2 weeks before I had surgery and I gained 2 1/2 lbs the first week. I could not belief I starved myself without sugar and gained weight. But after surgery I lost 11 lbs in a week and half. Congrats on your loss! I have the Realize band also.:cursing:

Man, that sucks you had such a bad instructor..im not actually going to WW I have done it so many times that I just count my points during the day, that is basically how Im managing my food until I get restriction.

It is hard for me to lose weight, that is why I was surprised when I lost the 11 lbs, of course that was right after surgery and I did not eat much and was on broth. Now that I am upgraded to cream Soups and puree, we will see what happens. Actually the instructor is very good, it probably had to do that I am not as mobile as I would like to be.

I was asking ElfiePoo on how long did it take you to lose 102 lbs. I can not imagine myself alot smaller than I am due to I have always been big except in High School. Then I weighed around 150 lbs.

Sandy :cursing:

Wow 25 points on WW! When I did it I was never allowed more than 20 and I think at one stage it was 18!

Little bit confused as I thought the LB sizes were 10ml and 14ml, didn't realise there was an 11ml one as well.

That's so funny, I just went in for my post op appointment and they handed me a bag full of Lap Band materials. I was like, "no, I had the Realize band". That's what they told me I was getting. Apparently, everyone at who got banded on October 1st got the Lap Band because the surgeons needed to get re-certified at putting the Lap Band in. WTH? I'm not upset that I have the Lap Band, but rather the fact that they talk up one product and give me another without telling me.

Oh well. I'm doing well, I guess, but I don't feel much restriction. Did you all count your calories in the first few weeks. My doctor says that 600 calories a day is about average in the first month. That doesn't seem like very much to me, but I'm trying...

My doctor uses both Realize and LAP-BAND®; he makes his decision based on the anatomy of the patient. He doesn't discern a "better," band-wise, but chooses the 11 cc Realize band for patients whose stomachs are smaller, and 14 cc Lap-Band® for patients with higher BMIs and/or stomachs that are anatomically larger.

I am always interested in how different the doctors' viewpoints are.

As an aside, I'm amazed that you can follow Weight Watchers; even before I had restriction, I couldn't have eaten that much once my band was in place. Are you able to meet all the healthy guidelines?

I wish I were able to eat that way and lose weight; Weight Watchers put the last 50 pounds on my freakish body (no joke).

Betsy is my favorite poster on this site so knowledgable

I usually am eating around 1200-1500 a day right now but I dont have much restriction at all right now...hopefully the fill I just got will help me out.my dr never really said much about calories a day just to measure my food. @elcee for my weight Im allowed like 32 pts but I only get in 25..I always had that many points on WW. Im not sure about the band size but the doctor told me I had an 11cc lapband...

11cc lapband? I have never heard of an 11cc lap band. You must not have the AP series (3rd gen) or the first generation.

What does your band look like? What is the lapband type?

Sometimes they count how much the tubing holds as well. Shortly after I had my surgery I was trying to get a card from the lapband people and they needed to know what size band I had. I called the surgeon's office and they told me 12cc AP Standard lapband. I called the lapband people back to get the onfo on my card and they told me they only make 10cc & 14cc. After that I figured out they counted what the max fill level would be and the tubing from the port to the band holds 1-2cc.

i dont know what my band looks like..I mean when they showed it to me in the office during pre-op just looks like the ones I see on pictures. Im not sure whats up with the doctor telling me its 11cc if its not so I will have to confirm when I go back in next time.

Little bit confused as I thought the LB sizes were 10ml and 14ml, didn't realise there was an 11ml one as well.

Has me confused also. Lap Band has AP Standard at 10CC and AP Large at 14CC. They also did the previous versions at 9.75/10CC and 4CC.

Realize as a 9CC band and the Realize-C at 11CC.

Maybe the surgeon was using "Lapband" as a generic for gastric band?