Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting my First fill today!!!

I am pretty excited, it is finally time for my first fill in my band, I am nervous somewhat but really looking forward to it at the same time. My Doc does by feel only and then my nurse said they will keep me there to drink some Water and make sure I dont get sick and throw up as if I do, that will mean they added in too much Fluid.

Also looking forward to getting weighed at the office. Our scale here at home weighs me 4 to 5 pounds less than my doctors office one does. I always have to add on about four pounds to what I weigh here at home. Yeesh, one of these days I will have an accurate scale. Does anyone have any recommendations for a scale that is relatively inexpensive but yet yields good results? Should I go with a digital versus a regular dial scale which I am using now? My Doctor uses a big digital scale that they just recently got in the office.

Anyway, will post an update later on how my fill went.

Traciecat, How did your fill go and how do you feel now as far as restriction? Was it painful? I hope it all worked out well.

As far as scales go, I bought a $16 Health O meter digital scale at Wallyworld that is right on the money.

Oh gosh I am so sorry that I never got back to this thread to answer how it went for me.

I wasn't really all that thrilled that the Doctor opted to in with the needle on me with nothing to numb the area at first. He said he find that most patients of his do fine and don't end up needing it. Well YEEESH that sure hurt, because of the lumpiness from my surgery, Doc M had a difficult time at first finding where the entrance was located so after me gritting my teeth and him rooting around for awhile, he withdrew that needle, they filled up a syringe with numbing medication, injected that and like three minutes later, I blessedly no longer felt any pain at all.

Still took him a bit to get the right area but once he was in, it was fine, he withdrew the tiny bit of saline that had been leftover from my day of surgery, then put fresh saline back in. Had me sit up and then take tiny sips of Water. First sip and my throat made this horrid growl noise, every sip brought more of the same and I started with my "reverse hiccups" where it feels like I have a hiccup come up my throat but it goes back down. lol. And then I felt like I might bring the Water back up. I never even got to tell him that much, he could tell by the look on my face and had me lay back down and he put the needle back in and removed some of the saline and I could instantly feel the change, no more regurgitation feeling at all. I sat back up, drank more sips of water and it was all fine.

I had some good bruising after that fill, from him moving that needle around so much but no pain at all afterward.

I need to double check with the office as there was some confusion there, likely on my part, but am thinking I have 5cc in there now? So far I don't feel any huge restriction, but then I have seen some here and elsewhere say that they didn't feel real restriction until about second or third fill.

I still don't feel any real sense of huge hunger, but then I think my body is getting more used to getting by on smaller amounts of food. I do feel some hunger in the mornings and I just have a couple of egg whites or a bit of oatmeal or a Protein shake and I am fine all day.

I still am having difficulty with the "head hunger" issue, mostly when hubby and I sit down at night to watch a movie together, then I feel the snack attacks hitting me and I know it is more psychological then physical. I have been trying to stick with using my Protein powder to make frozen smoothies and I am loving those.

Thanks for the heads up on the scale, I am getting really sick of this giant rotary one we have now, that thing weighs a holy ton and is really bulky so takes up alot of room in the bathroom.

oh my, i have been scared to get my first fill, and the idea of them digging around, and taking awhile scares me.

Not looking forward to this.

I think that in general, most patients seem to do pretty well with the fills though and dont feel anything but a tiny pinch from the needle. My case with all the lumpiness is more of an exception I think.

If you are really worried, talk to your surgeon about it and tell them beforehand that you are afraid and would like to have the numbing medication first off. You have the right to ask for it and I hope that your first fill goes well for you, when are you scheduled for it?

Next fill for me, I am asking for the numbing medication before they even try attempting another fill. Not that I dont trust my Doctor, I trust him completely but I know my body and I know that I DON'T want to go through that again with no numbing med.