Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK so i'm about 5 weeks post op and i'm not sure if i'm eating right. I talked to the nurse last week and she said low carb and high protien, so thats what i have been doing. Seems like i am losing about a pound a week which i would like to be losing a little more than that. I do some exercise, mostly cardio...the biggest loser video but it's hard to stay on a normal routine with it because i hate it, but know it's important. So anyhow, how often should i be working out? How many carbs do you eat daily? What about fat? A lot of stuff that has no carbs and more protien seems to have more fat! I did the Atkins diet about 5 years ago and lost 30 pounds in 2 months but gained it back plus some so I dont want this to be a repeat! Oh and one other thing...in my smallest cut, where they put in the scope...there are white stitches haning out. It's not sore or infected but what the heck, should i be concerned about this?

starting weight- 226

weight after 6 months diet with pcp-220

pre op diet-208

post op visit-206

current weight-202

You want to have those stiches hanging out removed. I had one and it led to a minor infection- it wasn't a huge deal. As far as low-carb, I did it while I was loosing. I ate about 20 carbs a day-mostly from veggies and berries (berries are low in carbs compared to other fruit). My Protein Shakes and bars also had a few carbs. I also watched my fat intake very closely. I ate lots of lean protien (still do for maintanance) like chicken and fish. I also like marinated pork loin and bocca burgers. Turkey would also be a good option. I eat nuts (almonds), lowfat cheese sticks, beef Jerky for Snacks. Good luck to you!

I aim for 800-900 calories, 80-100 g protein/day (now that I have good restriction, it's usually around 80), <50 net grams of carb/day (from veggie and legume--and occasional fruit--sources only), and --and this is really the most important part, IMO--exercise every single day, often twice.

I really think that exercise is the most crucial aspect, if you want to know the truth.

Re: fat intake. Yes, some Protein sources provide a wallop of fat. But when your caloric intake is so low, and you focus primarily on lean sources, there's plenty of leeway, fat-wise. I don't choose lowfat cheeses; I simply don't eat enough of any single food to be concerned about fat. I keep an eye on it (I journal on fitday.com), but never exceed the AHA's guidelines for fat intake.

Getting adequate fat is important for satiety, and paring down too far can cause other problems.

I have lost consistently well. I suspect that you would not think the rate particularly fast, but 2.5 pounds/week over 8 months--well, look at my signature.

Edited by BetsyB

I think if you found an exercise you did'nt mind doing you would not mind doing it everyday. Growing up I never liked going to pools/swimming because I had really bad reactions to chlorine (town pools use sooooo much chlorine). I belong to a private gym and they use a lot less chlorine (and use Water disinfecting lights) and what a difference that makes. I have a Water proof MP3 player and do an hour of lap swimming a day. I try to do enough cardio to burn off 3/4 of the calories I eat. Keeping in mind your body has to also burn calories just to keep the lights on persay.

When I started swimming (presurgery) I was so miserable I did'nt want to go anywhere do anything because I could hardly walk (really bad knee). So starting a regular exercise program was a big change for me. Now I really feel it physically if I don't swim every day.

I think the reason they stress low carb (usually means less than 60-65gm a day) is because eating too many can set us up for craving more...a vicious circle. I've always been particularly sensitive to carbs, both from a craving standpoint and blood sugar levels so I try to eat low carb just because I feel better.

I aim for 800-900 calories, 80-100 g protein/day (now that I have good restriction, it's usually around 80), <50 net grams of carb/day (from veggie and legume--and occasional fruit--sources only), and --and this is really the most important part, IMO--exercise every single day, often twice.

I really think that exercise is the most crucial aspect, if you want to know the truth.

Re: fat intake. Yes, some Protein sources provide a wallop of fat. But when your caloric intake is so low, and you focus primarily on lean sources, there's plenty of leeway, fat-wise. I don't choose lowfat cheeses; I simply don't eat enough of any single food to be concerned about fat. I keep an eye on it (I journal on fitday.com), but never exceed the AHA's guidelines for fat intake.

Getting adequate fat is important for satiety, and paring down too far can cause other problems.

I have lost consistently well. I suspect that you would not think the rate particularly fast, but 2.5 pounds/week over 8 months--well, look at my signature.

Hi Betsy,

To get that 80g of Protein on the 800-900 calorie restriction, I find to be very difficult. How do you pack the punch? I love the low carb/high Protein shakes, but trying to avoid them for more filling Proteins, since I dont have good restriction yet, so how could I get the protein in?

Also, have you recently changed your pic? Wow you look great! Congrats!