Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain before post op appointment

Went to see my PCP this morning and I gained 10 pounds do you think when I see the surgeon at my preop appointment he will say anything? I don’t start my liquids until Nov 3rd. My preop is Nov 11th. I seem to be eating like I will never be allowed to eat again. I have decided to start to Protein Shakes a day and a small healthy dinner in the evening and see if I can make the extra ten pounds go away J I was hoping not to have to do that as I don’t want to get burnt out on the shakes before I even get the band.

Edited by poppieswife

You're not banded yet; do you mean you're concerned about a gain before your last preop appointment?

My surgeon would have cancelled my surgery if I'd gained 10 pounds; my insurance required a 3-month supervision, and my surgeon required that during that period, I lose 6 pounds. If I hadn't done so, the 3-month clock would have been restarted, no ifs, ands, or buts.

I don't know what your surgeon requires, but a quick phone call to his office will ease your mind.

I called the nutritionist and left a message. I reread all the paper work it does say to start 3 to 4 weeks before surgery to eat better and exercise so I’m going to be doing double time the next few weeks. Thanks Betsy oh and by the way love your new picture!

Thank you!

I think I misunderstood. I was thinking you were already on the PREOP preop diet; you're referring to the sort of supervised pre-op period. My doctor had a specific requirement for loss during mine, but it was much longer than your 3-4 weeks. I bet you don't have anything to worry about.

Do your best, and when you get to the liquid stage, pay attention to those rules the best you can.

(If you get a choice of Proteins, I strongly recommend the Inspire and PURE Protein powders from bariatriceating.com. If you order now, they'll come in plenty of time for your preop liquids.)

My Surgeon's nurse said during our orientation that if you gained 1 pound you would be declined surgery. I gained seven and they didn't bat an eye.

That being said, the person you are really hurting is you. You are having a head hunger episode. You WILL be able to eat after the band, especially before it filled. After it is filled you will not feel as hungry. You are not going to starve. Feed your body, not your head.

I called my nutritionist and she told not to worry that this was the reason I wanted the surgery was to help lose. It was common for people to gain a little right before surgery. She just told me once I start the 14 day liquids I had to lose 10 pounds, she said when I go for my pre-op appointment to make sure the nurse documented my new weight so they wouldn’t think I did not lose on the 14 day liquid. She did encourage my to taper off now and try not to gain to much more before my start date that it would better for me all around.

Perhaps because I made my shakes with fat free milk they did not bother me that much. For several weeks presurgery I would have a shake for Breakfast, a Protein centered (chicken) lunch, and a shake for dinner. I think the hardest thing is to refocus your brain about eating and food habits. What I want from the band is to help me control portions. While I don't keep Cookies, cakes, brownies in my house I haven't told myself I can never have them again. In the past that has been my problem. Feeling like I could NEVER have a brownie again was very depressing.

Having grown up poor another issue is that healthy food is more expensive than junk. This summer a pound of Cherries was four dollar where as Little Debbie's are 1 Dollar. A couple days pre surgery I bought my cherries and did'nt give a damn.

Im glad that they aren't worried about the 10lbs. My surgeon told me that if I passed the weight I was on my initial consult they would postpone my surgery, and wouldnt allow me to start the liquid diet until i was back down to that initial weight. Then, I needed to lose 15 lbs during my 3 week liquid diet. If I didnt do that, the surgery would be canceled in itself.

Tough stuff, but they say it shows dedication to the program. I agree with them, it does, but its a lot of pressure. Dont they say stress in women helps you keep on the lbs?