Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op and in pain.....Scaredy cat

I am 2 days post op and sill in incredible pain. It hurts to breath and move. I also have this pressure, but feel this is still gas trying to exscape. I have walked through stores both yesterday and today for about 1/2 hour to try to help, but stop when I feel dizzy and hot.

I am jsut wondering what is normal adn what is not? Also how long untill there is very minimum pain. Someone plz help I am just very nervous since my pain pill got stuck last night an i power puked.

Everyone tolerates pain differently. If you were only given pills, call and ask for a liquid pain medication.

Walking is truly one of the best things you can do to help the gas pain. You don't have to leave the house or have great speed, just do circles in your living room or go up and down the hall for a few minutes at a time several times a day.

Heating pads also go a long way to help.

If the pain is intolerable to you or something doesn't feel right, call your surgeon. That is what we pay them for.

I don't understand why they gave you pain pills, poor thing.

Ask for the liquid pain meds or get some liquid tylenol.

Walking is the best thing you can do for your gas pains. I agree with the other users ask your doctor for a liquid pain medicine like Loratab. That's what I had and it worked wonders for me. The initial pain wore off for me around day 4. I'll add you to my prayer list for a speedy recovery.

Thank you guys! I just got really nervous if this pain was normal when i breath deep? I was given liquid vicodin but have to take it with liquid benadryl because i get the itchies so when im not out of it i try to get up and move around.

I'm just new and get myself worked up...i guess i am not used to this feeling on my belly lol and I am trying to make sure all this is normal. Also can't wait for the dicomfort to leave so i can move around better. Thank you everyone:blush:

Wow I can't believe they would give you pills! I had liquid lortab. I totally understand your pain, it is awful the first few days but i promise you will get through it! I wanted to go back and undo it I was hurting so bad! After about 5 days I started to feel normal!

You can also use Gas-X strips to help get rid of the gas. Wishing you all the best.

I am wrapping up day three, post op... and I'll tell you that gas pain is no joke. I have a high tolerance for pain, but this is an annoying, uncomfortable, DEEP pain. It's hard to describe but it's awful.

I've been walking my butt off and popping Gas X strips when I can and nothing is really helping much. The narcotic nasal spray my surgeon prescribed just makes me very tired so I'm not taking it. Hopefully it'll subside for us soon!!

I'm praying for ya.

I am also 2 days post-op. I had some pretty terrible gas pains in my chest the first night and for the first half of yesterday. I started sipping peppermint tea and this was an amazing help. Peppermint is said to encourage digestion and help with gas, GasX strips are peppermint but they didnt really work for me. I think the warmth of the tea and the constant sipping really worked. My only issue now is some pain when swallowing, trying to figure out if this is normal or not. As of this evening the pain when swallowing has gotten better though, so I am hopeful that by tomorrow I will start to feel normal! Sip some peppermint tea (its naturally caffeine free)!

I am almost 14 days out from surgery and I agree with everyone else... get the liquid pain med. The horrible painful pressure in your chest will go away by day 5 or so- I feel great! I asked my surgeon at my post op appointment what that deep pain pressure was and he said that it was inflammation from the surgery.. Hope this helps and just hang on, it will get better :smile:

Hello everyone! Feeling a tad bit better this morning...hoping it stays. I am pretty amazing with pain also so I think this is why its so new to me lol. I have been taking liquid hydrocodone and it helps. I am taking thisngs slow but find that even though i am not hungry (but the belly growls lol) I love my tomatoe Soup time lol! Thank you all for the advice i will pick up some gasx strips and pep. tea...yum!

I am also 2 days post-op. I had some pretty terrible gas pains in my chest the first night and for the first half of yesterday. I started sipping peppermint tea and this was an amazing help. Peppermint is said to encourage digestion and help with gas, GasX strips are peppermint but they didnt really work for me. I think the warmth of the tea and the constant sipping really worked. My only issue now is some pain when swallowing, trying to figure out if this is normal or not. As of this evening the pain when swallowing has gotten better though, so I am hopeful that by tomorrow I will start to feel normal! Sip some peppermint tea (its naturally caffeine free)!

I was wondering how my band-sister twin was doing! I am glad you are ok and doing well...please keep in touch!

I am 4 wks post op and I had all of the above. Gas X strips are a God send. They helped and as someone said I walked around the living room etc. The gas will work itsef out and everyone is different. I also didnt have a bowel movement for about a week and dont worry about that if it happens. Doc says there is no food or solids to let go of. I was told that pain and pressure is jsuswelling etc. you gotta remeber the be shuffling around our insides and also blowing your belly up with gas during the operation. I had a pain when I tried to breathe deep and it took about 2 1/2 weeks for it to go away. Im just now finsihed with all the swelling around port area etc. any way it will be fine, dont panic. Also try to distingusih pain from pressure. I stop taking darvocet tablets after 2 days cause it was pressure and discomfort not pain. I had no problems swallowing pills just cut them and took a 3rd of tab or 1/2 phenergan tab

Thank you for your advice...I had cut my pills into quarters but after that came up I kind of gave up. I alos tend to not take the pain meds unless when i mover i feel my entry sites very sore. I know alot is gas and its soooo crazy how in the morning im ok but as the day progresses it just gets more painful. I have also been getting alot of nausea and yesterday threw up nothing....I have even took the pills my doc gave me to prevent nasuea and vomiting. I am just taking it 1/2 a day at a time and i am trying to walk around my lil apartment but told my fiance that tonight because its raining we can walk around a store while i can handle it:)

I was wondering how my band-sister twin was doing! I am glad you are ok and doing well...please keep in touch!

Hi Angeleyes,

I really am doing well! I have really had to learn in this week what I can do and what I can put into my stomach to avoid this evil annoying gas that seems to come and go. Yesterday I realized that the gas pains working up my esophagus had to do with going too long without putting anything into my stomach. I haven't been keeping up with the prescribed diet because I was afraid and not really hungry, but realized that when I do eat the right thing in good time it seems to keep the gasses from coming up. I stopped taking the vicodin after day 2 since I didnt really have incision pain. The only time my incisions hurt anymore is adjusting to the gravity change when laying down to go to sleep. I do so much better in my lil pillow cacoon on the couch. I tried for the first time last night to lay in bed with my poor lonely husband, but the stretched out stomach from laying flat was not comfortable at all and was even causing some pain. Walking around a lot really does help, but for some reason I havent left the house all week. I guess I have enjoyed this experience as time to be alone and figure out my body and help it get back to some sort of normalcy. Maybe I'm afraid of driving past temptation too! I don't have anything but what I need at home, so I guess its safe.

I hope that you feel better soon, I do love hearing the experiences of others and its especially interesting and helpful from my bandster twin!!

Keep posting! Keep in touch!:)