Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being banded in Dec, Few questions about skin/exercise

Im researching my ass off, and honestly I want some serious answers from some people who experienced it. Im aware that i may have excess skin, but working out will reduce it, when i gain that muscle mass it will help with not only to get me to my goal quicker but I won't be loosing muscle mass as if I did nothing. So what Im really curious about is what is best for me to reduce the amount of skin Im left to deal with. Im 18 years old, so Im hoping my skin will be gracious, but I was wondering if any of you had any tips, suggestions, or certain workouts, that worked best for you on tightening those parts of your body especially the stomach where your left with that unwanted skin. :/ It's what worries me the most, being so young, and cosmetic surgery is so expensive!!!

I just joined the gym today was my first day, and i did 25 min on the elliptical. I also have asthma so im going to have to work myself up, but i feel good....when im done!

Well from the sound of it we weigh about the same or have about the same to lose. I have started exercising 3 days a week and as I lose weight I will increase my activity level so i can tightening my skin back up. It may never be in like a six pack but I don't want a Tummy Tuck so I am just going to work out as much as possible probably hire a personal trainer with my extra money from not eating out.

I am not sure exercise is going to help with the skin much. At your age I think you will be ok. When I was 26 or so I lost 100 pounds, and my skin bounced back pretty well (not so much at 39.) I would definitely encourage you to continue a rigorous workout to help with the weight loss and general appearance of your body though.

Try researching which Vitamins and other supplements support healthy skin. Those will most likely help the most. Also I have heard tanning does a lot to shrink excess skin.

Be careful to not bulk up until you have achieved the weight loss. I am pretty dam built from a muscle perspective, but its all hidden under the fat so I still look fatter than I am. Loose the weight first, then you will know what areas to build muscle to "fill in"

Unfortunately there's only so much you can do to get your skin to tighten up. You certainly have age on your side! You'll maximize your chances by significant exercise, hydration (inside and out), and plenty of sleep.

Brad