Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help-I'm Really Hungry

That's right. No carbs for a year. No veggies that are grown under ground so no potatoes, carrots(rarely), sweet potatoes, etc. Can't eat bread, Pasta or rice. He is strict, but he is also very successful with his patients. With over 1900 bands placed, I think he is probably on to something. Will I slip, sure, but I didn't risk life and limb during surgery to blow this. It will suck big time, but honestly, these past two weeks with virtually no carbs has been so much easier than I could have ever imagined. I ate carbs like a crack addict smoked his rocks. Without the daily carb crashes I feel great. I have a major sugar aversion right now which is from not eating any. I am happy happy!! One day at a time is how I'll approach this.

My doctor has a very similar approach. Protein + nonstarchy veggies, plus fruit (one a day) until 75 percent of excess body weight is lost. I've lost 75% of what he wants me to lose, so I'm "allowed" to add bread, rice, Pasta, etc. Back in. But I don't miss them at all and feel a zillion times better without them. I am continuing with the original regimen because I love the way I feel.

mdhannant, it doesn't suck at all--I promise, if you're already feeling better, you'll find, when you reach restriction, that you are completely satisfied without the starches. There's just no room, most of the time, for foods that aren't nutrient-dense.

Gracie, hunger is normal at this stage of the game. I powered through by telling myself it was the last time I'd be hungry in the name of weight loss. I do aim for a little more protein/day than my doctor requires, so I add a Protein shake to my morning and my evening; this helps with hunger a lot.

When I really couldn't take it, I called my doctor's office; they scheduled me for a fill a few weeks earlier than planned.

Edited by BetsyB

Any reason you feel compelled to be rude? I am not moaning and bitching. I asked 2 simple questions. While I appreciate your constructive feedback, you can keep your destructive one liners to yourself.:smile:

I was not being rude. I disagreed with the thread starter (on the other forum) who called your type of posting "bitching and moaning" (when someone complains about being hungry). I was taking YOUR side. Didn't you understand when I said I took the opposite opinion of the person who characterized these posts that way? And then I offered some advice.

Go back and read my post. Geez.

Yes she was being rude! She was talking to her like she was 5 yrs old. Yes that is a good thread i agree...but the girl wasnt bitching. She was asking for help and advice...which is what these forums are for. Good lord people.

Seriously - what part of "I took the OTHER position" (from calling this type of post bitching and moaning") don't you people understand? Learn to read the whole post before you criticize - better yet, read my responses on that other forum. :smile:

WOW! Your sarcasm is really annoying!!:smile:

Her post was asking for advice because she didn't feel full. It wasn't anywhere near the bitching and moaning described in the other thread. But I guess you really need to prove a point and keep this "disagreement" going. Well you won. Hooray. :glare:Now let's focus on helping someone who asked for help!!

Sorry gracierose for crashing your thread.

My nutritionist has told me many times, if you eat the type of balanced meal you describe and you're still hungry and you absolutely "have to" eat, go for a little more Protein.

Here's what the thread starter (on that other forum) -called "your bitching and moaning is hurting not only you but others":

Instead of posting about how hungry you are during the pre-op and/or post-op diet:

• take that time to ask yourself if you are really hungry
  • remind yourself that it is only for a short time
  • find something to do to take your mind off of the hunger
  • reassure yourself that it will all be worth it in the long run
  • smile!

Sounds to me like her post would fall under his opinion of "bitching and moaning" and was not only "near" what he described but was exactly what he described as bitching and moaning. So my reply to her was in defense of her problem which I DON'T consider bitching and moaning.

And your defense of the criticism of the so-called bitching and moaning is annoying. :grouphug:

Edited by Cleo's Mom

She wasn't being rude. There is a thread called titled bitching/moaning in the General LAP-BAND® Surgery board. If you go and read her response, it is very helpful. Go ahead and take a quick trip over there and then you'll realize she wasn't being rude. :smile:

As for your hunger, that is normal. Pre-Band you're probably used to eating all of the time. Now, that you can't your body has created the need for food - whether it be physical or mental. It will get easier with time.

Thank you. You obviously "get it" (what I was saying) while the others who criticized me seem clueless.

I don't know why someone (who hasn't been banded all that long) would feel compelled to start a thread saying "your bitching and moaning is not only hurting you but others" about complaints of hunger. That type of post is counter-productive, in my opinion, and can scare away those who have problems because there are so many smug, judgmental people who post here and they fear their criticism.

You do know that baby food fruit probably had more carbs in it than some fresh cooked vegies (i.e. broccoli)? :smile:

Yeah, but for the next two weeks he doesn't want me eating foods like broccoli. Just soft foods and the fruit is ok with him. I added the Benefiber to up my Fiber intake. 70 calories and 19 grams of carbs is minimal.

I was not being rude. I disagreed with the thread starter (on the other forum) who called your type of posting "bitching and moaning" (when someone complains about being hungry). I was taking YOUR side. Didn't you understand when I said I took the opposite opinion of the person who characterized these posts that way? And then I offered some advice.

Go back and read my post. Geez.

Dear Cleo's Mom,

I did go read further into it and apologize for jumping to conclusions. As I stated earlier, I am a bit crabby and easily put off. So sorry. I realize you are trying to help.:smile:

Dear Cleo's Mom,

I did go read further into it and apologize for jumping to conclusions. As I stated earlier, I am a bit crabby and easily put off. So sorry. I realize you are trying to help.:smile:

That's okay. We all have off days. Good luck with your lapband journey. I think you will be successful.

I'm 14 days post op and just saw my doctor this morning. I was on a two week liquid diet and now I'm on soft foods. One thing that he is very strict with is carbs. None, ziltch, nada for a whole year! Yes, a whole year no carbs. He said it will stop up the band, get stuck, make your blood sugar spike and stall weight loss. He did say I could have refried Beans provided that they are fat free and mashed well and lentils. Those are really high Fiber healthy carbs, but I can only have them occasionally. You might want to cut out the potatoes right away. I'm not a fan of this no carb rule being that I am a carb whore!! I love them. I like to say that I'm not fat, it's just the Pasta you're seeing. Carbs will sabotage your weight loss.

Keep eating more Protein and drink a shake. The shakes will fill your stomach and give you even more Protein. I'm sure you are sick of the shakes like the rest of us, but they give you a good bang for your buck. Even drink some milk. My doctor told me straight up that the next two weeks I'll be hungry so I know I have to deal with it.

Today I ate very thinly sliced turkey, tofu, a tiny bit of meatloaf, and one bite of fish. I also had two jars of baby food fruit. I added some Benefiber to the fruit since my body has been virtually fiber free for two weeks. I found that I was eating out of bordem a few times today so I have to be super diligent and keep busy so I don't slip into my bad habits again. Hang in there, take it hour by hour, day by day. I'm reminding myself that this is a slow process so I have to foucs.

I was super tiny for years from not eating any carbs! Why not go on a low carb diet vs getting the band if that's all you need to do? That some what irratates me. I need portion control! I cant stand the low carb diet anymore after 5 years of having NONE... An egg makes me want to vomit just looking at it! My sister eats whatever she wants on the band and has lost 60lbs so its while its preferred, its not the only way! Just wanted to throw that out there! but thanks for all the tips on what you eat... That gave me some good ideas!

Dear Cleo's Mom,

Its easy to get crabby when you havent figured this thing out yet. Most of these people that comment that way have already figured it out and have lost their weight... They forget we are beginners! And I have wanted to kill someone lately... We will get through it though!