Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Positive or negative mexican lapband experience?

Hello!

I am doing some research as to the safety, satisfaction and success of those who traveled from the US to Mexico for the Lap Band surgery.

I do not qualify with my insurance and I cannot afford the out of pocket fees where I live.

Please share with me your experiences. To those of you who have done this, would you do it again? Have you been successful? Were you able to get the aftercare you needed in the states? Any thing else about your experience you would like to share....I would love to hear!

Thanks in advance! DRP

Hello!

I am doing some research as to the safety, satisfaction and success of those who traveled from the US to Mexico for the LAP-BAND® surgery.

I do not qualify with my insurance and I cannot afford the out of pocket fees where I live.

Please share with me your experiences. To those of you who have done this, would you do it again? Have you been successful? Were you able to get the aftercare you needed in the states? Any thing else about your experience you would like to share....I would love to hear!

Thanks in advance! DRP

Hello...

I went to Mexico for my Lap band and had a very wonderful experience. I was picked up from my home since I live very close to Tijuana and was driven to the hospital. It was very nice and clean all the nurses and Doctors were very helpful and made me feel at ease.

I would do it again in a heart beat I got better care in Mexico then I have ever gotten here in the US.

As far as after care I go back in 2 weeks for my fill and will again get picked up from my home, I was always able to get a hold of the doctor or his assistant if needed.

So yes I was very happy with my experiance and will/would do it again.

I had a great experience. I was banded July 3d..

I have had surgeries in the USA before I got the band, and the experience in Mexico was tons better than any surgery I had here in the states!

I went with Dr. Kuri. He has wonderful people that you can talk to before and after surgery. They also have a nutritionist that is very helpful..The hospital was great and the staff was all wonderful!

They also have a great network of follow up doctors in the USA, almost every state. Mine is a wonderful doctor here at the county hospital! He is wonderful..Not only that, but the doc here commented on how nicely the band was placed.

If you would like more info about my experience, feel free to message me! Good luck in your decision!

Cindy

Thanks for the feedback!

Any other Mexican Lap Band experiences out there?

DRP

I was banded one month ago in Mexico, (TJ) and had a great experience. Of course i would rather have my surgeon in the same city that i live in, but with the 2 year waitlist and zero coverage, i would choose this option again and again. I made sure there was a surgeon in my city that could support me after and do my fills. All of the Mexican doctors were great and answered all my questions. The nurses were great and spoke english, one of them had had this surgery 4 years ago and she lost 125lbs. They picked me up at the airport, preop assess, bloodwork and IV, surgery, one night at the clinic post op, and a night at a beautiful hotel, then back home.

I would do it again and recommend it to anyone.

Good luck in your decision!

(the only downside was the night nurse was not very generous with the pain meds, i am a nurse and i would've offered it way more, just sayin.)

Edited by bandalley

Hello!

I am doing some research as to the safety, satisfaction and success of those who traveled from the US to Mexico for the LAP-BAND® surgery.

Thanks in advance! DRP

Hi DRP!

I had my sugergy in Mexico just about two weeks ago. It was in Monterrey at CIMA (the hospital there). The experience was great. I was picked up from the airport and brought to Four Points hotel. The next day I was picked up from there and brought to the hospital. My luggage was checked at the hotel so I didn't have to carry it around with me. Then at the hospital I was given a chance to lock up my purse in a banker bag and also lock my other clothes in a locker. They did all my blood work, EKG then I met with the doctors and taken to surgery. I was then given my own room an they were very attentive. I left the next day and stayed that night and the next in the hotel. I had a driver the whole time so I didn't have to deal with that. They sent me back to the hotel with a bag of goodies-drinks, (tea, chicken broth, mangarin orange, peach nectar, Jello and water) and a cup. I also had a patient coordinator who checked on me a couple times a day to make sure I was ok. It was good! I ended up going by myself so it was nice to have her calling me.

Since then I've lost almost 22lbs. No problems, but I was given all contact information so I can get back in touch with anyone if need be. The surgeon to the nutritionist.

I also have a hospital here that will work with the Allergan band. I had to make sure to ask because some of the American doctors won't work with certain bands.

I hope this helps! I'd be willing to answer any questions you have.

~Mandy

I had a really fantastic experience with Dr. Roberto Rumbaut, who is banded himself (and speaks perfect English). The hospital was immaculate, I had a private room (and they set up a bed so that my mom could stay overnight with me), and the level of care was fantastic. If you go to the beginning of my blog, you can see photos and the account of the surgery that I wrote right after I had it.

I would recommend this to any close friend or family member. I have not regretted my decision for even a moment.

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine

Thanks for the feedback!

Any other Mexican Lap Band experiences out there?

DR

I was also banded by Dr. kuri and had a horrible experience. I have had my lapband two years ago this month. I had several complications. When I called his office, I could never talk with a doctor. I went to his office and was told I had to get in line with the fill people to talk with a doctor. I was told to drink hot tea and sent home. Two weeks later I again went directly to his office after being unable to talk to either Dr. Kuri or any other doctor. I was doubled over and holding my stomach. This time the office manager started hollaring at me for posting a complaint about the first time I went and couldn't get any help. Amazingly, they wouldn't help me. I went home and got on the internet and found a wonderful lapband doctor in Tijuana who I went to. He corrected the problem the next week.

To answer your question, I went to Tijuana last week for my yearly checkup with my amazing lapband doctor. It was not at all crowded walking over the border, but everyone said it was safe, and there were police all over the city. I was a little apprehensive, but everyone welcomed me and I did not see anything that alarmed me or made me think there was any danger. My taxi driver said there were problems mostly in certain cities and mostly with known drug runners

Hi,

Thanks for posting such amazing photos. I have a BMI of 31 and I am very interest in Dr. Rumbaut for single incision lap-band. It is very re-assuring to hear people's success stories. It's also very helpful to see before/after photos of people who were not morbidly obese prior to surgery. You look really similar to me so I hope that I get your results.

Thanks again!!!

I had a really fantastic experience with Dr. Roberto Rumbaut, who is banded himself (and speaks perfect English). The hospital was immaculate, I had a private room (and they set up a bed so that my mom could stay overnight with me), and the level of care was fantastic. If you go to the beginning of my blog, you can see photos and the account of the surgery that I wrote right after I had it.

I would recommend this to any close friend or family member. I have not regretted my decision for even a moment.

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine