Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexican Bandsters

I was recently denied surgery by my insurance company and I'm considering going to Mexico. I'd like to hear any stories or information any of the Mexican Bandsters would like to share (good or bad) that might help me make a decision as to which Doctor to choose (there seem to be many good ones). I've also heard that many include free fills after surgery (of course you pay your own airfare for the fills) Is this true?

Thanks for all your posts. I love reading them and I love this site!

Marsha

My surgeon was Roberto Rumbaut Diaz in Monterrey, Mexico. He practices in a state-of-the-art teaching hospital in the third largest city in Mexico. This was important to me, as there are plenty of physicians of various specialites at the location at all times of the day and night, in case of any emergency. (The hospital situation is very different in Mexico. There are the high-rent teaching places, and there are some teeny tiny one or two doctor places. There are places where the wealthy and foreigners go, and there are places where Mexican insurance pays. So there may be four hositals on one corner, all serving different populations. You should be very sure of what you need to feel comfortable and what is being offered before you decide on your doctor.) There is nothing "budget" about Rumbaut's hospital accommodations or care. His prices are around $10,000. There are about four or five patients per nurse after surgery on the wing where you stay in your private room with your private bath. Your hospital room will have a little sofa or extra bed for a family member. It's cultural thing; Mexicans generally accompany family members at the hospital, they don't usually take them and leave them there. Patients stay at the Hampton Inn (not included in the price) in Monterrey. That hotel is the budget end of the Hilton chain. It sits next door to an Applebee's and a great Italian restaurant, and a shopping center with an HEB Market (a Texas chain) is adjacent.

Rumbaut has placed around 1900 LapBands, and proctors US and other doctors on a regular basis. I was 55 at the time of my surgery and he was most concerned about me that day (he usually does about five bands per day when her has surgery days), due to age and other health considerations. But the surgery was textbook.

Office fills (in other words, the doctor's services) are free, but if the fill is done under flouro, you have to pay the radiology place...about $100. (In the states, it runs much more.) Dr. Rumbaut usually asks his out of town patients to have flouro, so he can check band placement etc. while you are in town.

The other well-respected Monterrey surgeon is Dr. Sanchez, I think. He has done even more bands, and does several types. Some people have complained about staffing issues, but no one complains about his work.

In Tijuana, I've had fills and unfills...but I'll let those patients have a chance to answer. Where do you live? That would be important. Also, don't exclude Europe. Airfare is cheap, some of those doctors are VERY experienced and you can still get fills in Mexico, or locally if they ever lighten-up.

Sue

Marsha

I had Dr. Sanchez and stayed at the same Hospital and the same Hotel as Sue.

It sound like the same trip as Hers and everything she says is correct.

Cost was $10,850.

Good Luck:cool:

Hi Marsha,

I was banded by dr. verboonen in TJ on Aug 7,2003. I was very pleased with everything. The cost was $8500 (although I think it's been increased to $9000) but it included everything, tests, surgery, hospital stay and hotel stay. I was very well taken care of. I think dr. verboonen owns a floor of the hospital because I was put in a private room with my own nurses that checked on me every 15-20 minutes. It was great care, one that I would not expect in the USA.

Good Luck,

Mary

Hi Marsha -

I was banded by Dr. Lopez 1/23/03 in TJ. He is an excellent and caring surgeon. I paid $9995, and that included all my testing, surgeon, hospital, hotel, and transportation to all my appointments and the hospital. It did NOT include tips to drivers or hotel meals.

Fills are $50, plus $110 if you want it done by fluoro (recommended). Fill appointments have been very flexible, and Saturday mornings are a popular fill time.

Sometimes it can be difficult to get a response from office personnel, but eventually everything gets taken care of.

I am very happy with my choice of surgeons.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will definately be going to Mexico. In the beginning, I had a list of six or so surgeons that I've heard good things about...but for me right now, I think I've narrowed it down to Dr. Sanchez or Dr. Kuri. (for different reasons).

I'm also trying to consider the cost of getting fills along with the surgery. No sence in having surgery then not being able to afford a few fills!;)

Well, I'm hoping for February. I just finally convinced my husband that I NEED the surgery (he's one of those skinny people that can eat anything and not gain a pound (he doesn't understand what it's like on this side). Now, I'm in the process of convincing him that Mexico is a safe clean alternative place to have surgery.

Vera and Sue: Did you fly into Monterrey?

Thanks again to everyone who posts. This site is so amazing...it's pleasant and the people dont fight all the time like other places! I feel like we're a big family.:D

Marsha

Originally posted by marsha

Vera and Sue: Did you fly into Monterrey?

Yup. First time LAX-MEX-MTY, business class. Next time was a direct, non-stop LAX-MTY flight, in coach and it was ever so much better because we didn't have to go through Mexico City and change planes and all.

Rumbaut has a limo guy (taxi, actually) holding a sign with your name at the airport...I imagine Sanchez does the same.

Correct!

Dr. Sanchez has someone who picks you up from the airport-to the hotel-to the hospital...back to the airport. There may be several people to pick up here or there so theres a bit of waiting but your all there for the same reason.

I flew out of San Jose CA, stop in Huston- into Monterrey flight cost me $560. RT check expedia..cheap tickects...

I went by myself but there is room for a guest in your hotel room and in the Hospital. Pack lite, you don't want to carry heavy luggage back after surgery. I brought a few waters and some gatoraid, it came in handy the day after back in the hotel and till I got home.

My other half was supportive "Your Health comes first" was his concern. Others could'nt understand why I wen't to MX and by my self.

If you use this tool correctly Your husband will see the difforance. Its good your looking into fills , also decide what kind of band you want and demand it. (I have and AMI) I am also still paying for my band via credit cards.

Dr. Sanchez did a wonderfull job!!!

Good luck

I understand your planning, once I decided the band was for me I made it happen.

When your in the airport think of me, I'm with you all the way Good luck

Guest ctoro

I took my daughter Tati,16 to TJ to have Dr verboonen put a midband on her in Oct. so far she's lost 40lbs. The hospital was great and the care we received was beyond that of here in the states. I researched everything very carefully because of my daughter's age I if I were to do it again I'd go the same route.

Marsha:

I was denied by my insurance company too and I thought that would be the end of it, but my husband said that we've scraped up money for less important things and we'd do it again. So we bought kind of got obsessed researching this and other types of surgeries. We felt this was the safest. Especially when you are paying out of pocket - if something went wrong you could lose everything you own.

Anyway, while going through all these Web sites, we came across Dr. Sanchez just by chance. It sounded like he had a lot of experience, so I filled out the form on their Web site and e-mailed it to them to see if I qualified for surgery. Somebody called to talk to me, I asked them some questions - but didn't make any commitments - and they didn't pressure me. We just kept reading all these posts and never found anything bad about him - only very, very positive stuff. So we got the money and I called and made the appointment for about 2 1/2 months down the road, so I had plenty of time for it to sink in and also change my mind if I wanted to.

I still kept reading and reading and for every positive thing I read, my confidence grew and pretty soon I was really looking foward to it. In fact, all the way up to the time I was laying in pre-op having all this time to reflect - I never got nervous. And this is not something I do every day. I still can't believe I did it. I want to tell you, though, that every single thing I read about my doctor, his staff, the hospital, the surgery, the pain, etc. was absolutely true. It is still very fresh in my mind and it was exactly like I expected it to me because of all I had read.

The only thing I would do, if you have never been out of the country, is find out exactly how going through the Mexican airport works, what forms you'll need to fill out, etc. That was the only part that caused me some anxiety. It wasn't bad - I just didn't know what to expect - and I hate surprises.

If you'd like to know more, e-mail me. I'd be glad to talk to you while it's all fresh in my mind.

Hi does any one know anything about Dr. Joya from Peurto Vallarta? His price is 8,000 us includes air fare. The surgery is 17,000 in Canada. I to am nervous about Mexico but 17,000 is a lot of money to come up with.

Just FYI,

Dr. Sanchez was killed last year..early November. I still went thru his office for my surgery with Dr. Chapa. Dr. Sanchez' son was my liason when I was down there and took very good care of me, after they figured out when I arrived ( on time by my schedule, but they were expecting me four days later--an error on their part. But all went well.

Shawn

I was recently denied surgery by my insurance company and I'm considering going to Mexico. I'd like to hear any stories or information any of the Mexican Bandsters would like to share (good or bad) that might help me make a decision as to which Doctor to choose (there seem to be many good ones). I've also heard that many include free fills after surgery (of course you pay your own airfare for the fills) Is this true?

Thanks for all your posts. I love reading them and I love this site!

Marsha

Hello I was also banded by roberto rumbaut in monterry mexico.and my experience was the same as sues..if that will help..i was banded 10/16/07 he has now done over 4000 of them.the care was excellent!!

I was banded by Dr. Sanchez as well last year, in Monterrey, MX. It was a very positive experience. I was shocked to hear what happen to him.