Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you kinda wonder about the Band for losing only 60 lbs?

I always thought you had to have 100 pounds to lose, taken into consideration with BMI and comorbidities. I see some people who only have 60 pounds to lose, and to only have that much to lose but fit into the medical standards I know of, you would have to be a bit on the shorter side.

I am certainly not knocking anyone. If you need the help, nothing has worked, and surgery is safe, I am ALL for it. I know the frustrations of weight loss all too well. And I wish everyone great, healthy weight loss. :laugh:

Nope...wish the band had been available when I was 16 and already 70 pounds overweight...and gaining every year.

I have a bmi of 31..have hit 32 before. Due to pcos and my issues I can tell you I have to feel hungry all the time & be on a diet ALL THE TIME to stay at this weight. So I suffer to still be fat.

My feeling is why should I be miserable waiting for the weight to finally get to 100lbs to loose. My weight has slowly creeped up so I know it will happen but I dont want to suffer thru it.

I know you didnt ask in a negative way but there has been a lot of negative reaction to my getting the band at such a low BMI. I think if it was as easy as putting your fork down no one would have a high BMI because they would have all stopped at 31-where they are expecting me to have controle.

What makes me wonder is why you have to get to the point of being 100 lbs obese in order to get help from insurance!

i only had 68 lbs and i am only 5'4" (used to be an inch taller but something happened somewhere). my bmi was over 35 and i fit the requirements with my insurance. i really think the lb thing is just a number...it's hard to loose weight whether it's 68 or 100. before long it would be a 100. the more you weight the harder it is on your mind, body and spirit. and also we must include your relationships with family and friends. i carried my weight well and i hide alot of it. so to some i might not have looked like i fit the requirements but everyone has a different story. i figure as long as your insurance approves it and you are willing to work for it (remember the band is just a tool) then it's all good. so please don't knock anyone whether it's 60 lbs or 260 lbs. we are all the same and we are all working towards the same goal. :laugh:

i only had 68 lbs and i am only 5'4" (used to be an inch taller but something happened somewhere). my bmi was over 35 and i fit the requirements with my insurance. i really think the lb thing is just a number...it's hard to loose weight whether it's 68 or 100. before long it would be a 100. the more you weight the harder it is on your mind, body and spirit. and also we must include your relationships with family and friends. i carried my weight well and i hide alot of it. so to some i might not have looked like i fit the requirements but everyone has a different story. i figure as long as your insurance approves it and you are willing to work for it (remember the band is just a tool) then it's all good. so please don't knock anyone whether it's 60 lbs or 260 lbs. we are all the same and we are all working towards the same goal. :laugh:

Couldn't agree more. People think the band is an easy fix, but I haven't worked so hard to educate myself, eat well, and exercise in my life. I just hit "the line" of 100 lbs to lose and the aching in my knees and back and a history of weight related anxiety helped get me approved. So I was just asking about how "the line" is different for different people...not the appropriateness of surgery.

I have never understood why doctors don't use helps such as surgery and Rxs to help patients lose weight, when all the doctors do is tell you how unhealthy the weight is. What is going to hurt me worse...a surgery that is done by a professional who follows my healing closely/Rxs or extra weight?! Silly doctors and insurance. :tongue_smilie:The WEIGHT is going to hurt my health!!!