Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Supportive doctor

I'm just happy and need a place to share. I haven't told many in my life about heading in the band direction yet, so as of yet I'm still limited on the # of people I can blab to!

I had my physical + bloodwork this morning in preparation for submitting my pre-approval paperwork to my surgery clinic. When my PCP asked what had brought me in I told her I was hoping to get a letter of recommendation from her for the Lap-Band. Well, not only had she heard of it & supports it, but she also has 8 other patients who have had it done. I had no idea!

She talked to me about it for a good 45 minutes, about how it's her opinion that doctors who don't support it for people who are physically good candidates for the procedure & for surgery in general need to spend more time reading their literature, and also about all the reasons why she thinks I'm "probably the best candidate she's ever seen" (relatively young, mobile, actively exercise, no meds, normal BP, good heart, no surgical history, no disease, etc.)... and also wanted to "prep" me for some things to expect, in case I hadn't done my research such as the possible discomfort if I don't eat right, the possible loose/saggy skin issues, etc.

She says she thinks it's an excellent choice for me, she would definitely recommend it, and that she will do whatever she needs to on her end to help make sure I get approval.

I'm really thrilled!

So, you guys don't even need to respond, I just had to get this off my chest to someone. :D

You've got a great doctor.

As word spreads about this surgery and more doctors educate themselves, I can assure you more will be open to it.

No need to assure me, I know it!

It's great to hear that this is gaining support amongst PCP's. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your surgery! :D

I love my physician. She is young, talented, beautiful and so supportive of my getting the band. I am 60+ and although she frowns on GB (especially with my medical background) she is all for the lap banding and wrote me a great letter to the lap band surgeon. He told me how impressed he was by her taking time out to tout the praises of lap banding. She thinks it will be excellent for me, so I guess we share something in respect for our GP. Mine is a treasure and never too busy for me or any questions I have.

My PCP has been a jewel in other ways. I scuba, and she does too, so she has been bale to proactively suggest some things that have really helped (e.g. Nasacort to help keep my eustachean tubes open).

She too is young and very pretty. Dody, you don't live in Missouri do you? :D

She also told me she has told some patients no, because she truly didn't feel it was a good fit. She told me, "If any of this were filled in (pointing to the part on my medical history that lists major illnesses) or if we were having this talk 5 years ago, I wouldn't be advocating this for you."

She also said that she knows a lot of insurance companies are going to quit covering lap-band (mine currently covers @ 100%, including fills) because they're starting to see that it doesn't pay off in the long run, because the average person doesn't stay with their insurance company long enough for the company to see enough decrease in general medical expenses to offset the cost of the procedure.

I will be getting my butt in gear with paperwork this weekend, so that as soon as my blood test results are in & I can mark yes or no to high cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. -- everything's ready to go!

I'm from Tennessee. Maybe these two gems are twins. Mine is into showing horses (dressage I think she calls it). I have a riding horse and love riding so we have some things in common too.

I'm glad we both get such wonderful care. Although my physician is young and beautiful and talented she also has a nurse that is a sweetheart. I think we just got very lucky to find such caring people. She told me about the lap band actually and told me that is something she would allow me to do and encourage me to do. I was happy to hear there was an alternative to more serious surgery, so I'm saying a prayer that when the time comes it works for me, as well as some people on here.