Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got a hospital bill for$60K for my Band!!

My total bill was $30,000. My insurance paid $5,000 and that was the end of it.

I'm sorry but there is a problem here. My hospital billed about $18,000, which of course the insurance had negociated rates for so they did not pay anywhere near that much to the hospital. I think you need an itemized bill where they tell you every single thing they claimed to have given or done for you. There are companies that specialize in looking at bills and fighting the hospital on charges. If once you get the itemized bill you can't negociate on your own find one of those companies and fight this. FYI had my surgery done at a major Boston, MA area hospital so I live in a expensive area and the cost of living is pretty high. Based on that I don't see how ANY hospital can try to bill that kind off money even in Midtown Manhattan or LA.

I do have an itemized bill now and everything is correct is just that they are billing an arm and a leg for every item.They billed 9K for the OR. 4K for the recovery room. $2400 for an anchor/screw, $33,407 for the band itself, $5100 for the scalpel, $3400 for an endoscopic suture device?

It's just outrageous amounts. I had a family emergency yesterday so I didn't get to call my insurance but I will be calling them today. Legally the hospital CAN'T bill me b/c they are contracted with my insurance. They billed me first for these charges and didn't submit them to my insurance. I'm sure my insurance company will put an end to it today.

$33,407 for the band itself Outrageous!

My hospital tried to bill like 3,000 and the insurnance agreed price was 1,700. That is what the hospital paid.

If you have the choice I would never use that hospital again.

Last year I had a mini stroke and was admitted to Mass General (Boston); and was in ICU for 3 days and a regular room for 4 days. Including all my tests (MRI, Multiple Cat Scans), all the drugs etc they billed my insurance like $60,000. I would see if there is a state office to which you can complain regarding pricing. I think they are pulling something shady.

Okay here's the deal.

My insurance company only allows a 90 day filing time. As of today they have not received the claim for the additional $60K. They said they will pay it at 100% of the negotiated fee IF they receive it in the next 30 days. If they don't get it in the next 30 days then the hospital has to write it off and they aren't allowed to collect it from me.

Either way I'm not responsible. Whew! But man the prices are outrageous!

I had a hysterectomy at the same hospital last month and stayed as an inpatient and it was only $30K total.

Out of the additional $60K my insurance paid an extra $46K and wrote off the rest. That's ridiculous! I can't believe they charge that much for this darn band. It took them this long to process it though. They kept going back and forth on it.

Okay here's the deal.

My insurance company only allows a 90 day filing time. As of today they have not received the claim for the additional $60K. They said they will pay it at 100% of the negotiated fee IF they receive it in the next 30 days. If they don't get it in the next 30 days then the hospital has to write it off and they aren't allowed to collect it from me.

Either way I'm not responsible. Whew! But man the prices are outrageous!

I had a hysterectomy at the same hospital last month and stayed as an inpatient and it was only $30K total.

I worked for an insurance company and they have negotiated rates with all the hospitals. Once they write off a portion of the bill that is it, it is gone and done. Sometimes the hospitals have idiots in the billing department that then tries to charge you for the write off. Also, everyone bills the insurance or they are supposed to, so there will be a bill from the radiologist who read xrays and then other care. I do not believe those dingalings sent the bill in, so it is important that you call them today and say, "my insurance covers this and did not receive your billing, if you do not submit it with in 30 days you guys have to eat the cost." They will send it in that day, trust me.

EDIT: Didn't see you posted a response that it was taken care of. LOL

They already billed my insurance $15K. My insurance paid $11K and wrote off the rest. Now the hospital is billing an additional $60K in charges. They said they actually charge $75K TOTAL for Lap Band surgery. They get $33K just for the band!

I think that's ridiculous! They billed me for it b/c they tried to bill my insurance and my insurance denied their claim and said I was not responsible.

Now I'll have to call my insurance tomorrow. I'm not worried about it. I know my insurance will either pay it or force them to write it off but that's an astronomical amount.

Those of you that had insurance pay for your band how much was the total hospital claim?

My bill from the hospital was approx $27,000. There are some other bills trickling in, the most was around $250.00 so far. Yes you need to find out what those additional charges are for. Let us know what happens, so we can all be aware of something like this might happen to the rest of us.

I received my hospital bill today. It isn't really a bill, it says, but it is a schedule of the charges. It was over $33K. I surely hope that the insurance doesn't dick around with it!!! I cannot believe how much surgery and the associated costs are.

I was glad to have my band done this year. It has not been a good year Healthwise (emergency surgery in the spring, complicated by an infection, requiring another hospitalization) so I had met my maximum out of pocket expenses for the year. I will owe nothing on it.

Jackie

They billed my insurance $32,000. The insurance paid $18,000. Since they're 'in plan', they have no choice but to accept that as payment in full.

Coding error:angry:.. . Followup with the hospital Admin and it will be corrected... Do not stress, It happens all the time.. Luckily my inusrance pre approve everything and my Dr do not set surgery without the approval...So hopefully I am good .. Surgery was done 11/18/10...No bill yet.....:D

Coding error:angry:.. . Followup with the hospital Admin and it will be corrected... Do not stress, It happens all the time.. Luckily my inusrance pre approve everything and my Dr do not set surgery without the approval...So hopefully I am good .. Surgery was done 11/18/10...No bill yet.....:D

Wonderful!! It's a shame we have to watch everything, or we will pay for stuff we are not supposed to, and unlikely anyone would give us a refund. Have a great rest of the holiday, and I see ya smiling...