Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if you never get to your "sweet spot"

I had a lot of time this weekend and read through a lot of post band surgeries stories from this forum and other places. I have found similar stories where it seems like some people are almost filling up their bands to the max and they really haven't found that spot yet. I read a post they had 9.3cc in a 10cc band and they said they really don't have it where they need it. It's scary. Did they get the wrong size band? I know when I was talking to my surgeon I had no choice in what size band he was going to give me, he was going to make that decision when he opened me up and saw my stomach. Do any of you worry if you have the right size band or ever finding that spot? My bestie has 7cc in a 10cc band so she still has some wiggle room but that is he sweet spot. She says she is tight and likes it that way. Just wanted to hear your opinion on this.....

I have 8cc in my 9cc band and I am not at that elusive sweet spot. Although, I have never been able to eat the same amount of food as I did pre-band since day one. For me it seems that my quantity of food stays the same (5oz at a meal) but the time it takes to get hungry in between meals is slowly changing.

There is no definite guide to where the sweet spot is.

Everyone has their own definition.

To my mind it is feeling full and not getting hungry between meals.

I think you will find that almost everyone experiences this to some degree.

For me (I have an older 4cc band) it wasnt that way, it was more a matter of each fill caused me to fill up a bit more quickly which was just right for me at the time. I didnt have to find a 'sweet spot', I lost weight at 1cc for a while, and then that dwindled so I want to 1.5cc and that started off weight loss again and then a bit longer and that had dwindled. So as my body needed less and less calories to lose weight, I had a bit more fill, but I lost steadily throughout.

I have been at 2.7cc for the longest time, but truth be told, when I eat carefully and follow the rules, as I have been doing lately (have to have an ufill for a surgery and have been being ah, careful), I've lost an almost alarming amount of weight taking my BMI down to 20. So truth be told, what I call my "sweet spot" or long term maintenance restriction is really only a level of restriction that allows me to eat small enough meals that I can afford to eat a lot of treats - wine, Cookies, chocolate *guilty shrug*. when I eat as I should, this is too much restriction for maintenance although I never have "tight" symptoms such as vomiting, getting stuck, being unable to eat foods like bread etc. So you really need to be honest about what you're eating and focus on eating the right things, not on eating only half a cup of food at a time. Its a fine and shifting balance and all about what you can manage, not about a number or a particular level.

Edited by Jachut