Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Sweet spot or not

I had my surgery on March 30th and to date have lost 55 lbs. which I am very happy with. But since my last fill I am getting stuck a lot and so I am throwing up a lot. I don't know if I am eating too much, too fast, the wrong food. And what exactly is the "sweet spot"? Is that where I am at and just don't know it because of what and and how much I am eating?:puke:

I had my surgery on March 30th and to date have lost 55 lbs. which I am very happy with. But since my last fill I am getting stuck a lot and so I am throwing up a lot. I don't know if I am eating too much, too fast, the wrong food. And what exactly is the "sweet spot"? Is that where I am at and just don't know it because of what and and how much I am eating?:puke:

Judy,

I thought I knew what the sweet spot was and ended up being overfilled. I finally had a long talk with my doc and he said if I was taking small bites and chewing well and still getting stuck a lot, then I needed to get an unfill.

I think the sweet spot is the place where, when we eat thoughtfully (paying attention to our body and our meal), we know it's time to put down the fork...or when we eat what we know is reasonable, we're able to put down the fork and feel content to our next meal.

I have 7cc in a 14cc band. I was up to 8.5cc and getting stuck all the time. Now at 7cc, I can eat anything I 'want' but I do have to take smaller bites and chew well or I will get stuck. I can also eat as much as I could preop *if I wanted* but I fix my portion, I take my time eating it (usually takes me 20-30 minutes) and I push my plate away. The difference between now and preop is that I do feel content after eating...something that didn't happen in the past. Perhaps that's what true 'full' is. I don't know.

At any rate, I would say to thoughtfully pay attention to the size of your bites (maybe eat with toddler's silverware?), chew thoroughly and pay attention to what you're getting stuck on. For awhile there, I had to give up eggs and chicken because it didn't matter how well I chewed or how small the bite, they always set me to sliming. Then, if you're still getting stuck, you might consider getting a slight unfill. Also, not sure how long ago your fill was, but giving it a few weeks to allow any swelling to go down. Your problem may only be temporary.

Thanks you your help I know whats the deal with eggs? I can't believe I have problems with them, I don't understand, chicken yes me too but the eggs???

Judy- I am going through the same thing that you are. I got a fill last week and although I can keep liquids down- my gut is telling me this is not right, my mind is telling me I don't want to live this way- because I cannot imagine eating any type of solid food (I am on full liquid/purees). I feel like I would maybe rather do this slower and develop better eating habits. On the other hand I lost more weight these last few days than I have in a long time so a part of me things maybe I should keep it this tight. I know there are people that do that- but I just don't think its for me.... sorry about the rant but wanted u to know you are not alone.

(Elfie I am listening to your advice and waiting until Wednesday to make my decision)

I really tried to chew all my food until it practicallyl disolves in my mouth, really hard and not enjoyable. But I am finding when I do this is don't throw up after I eat. This is the first time I ever thought about having the surgery was the wrong thing to do. I enjoyed (past tense) so much especially going out to eat with my husband and friends but now all the joy is gone. I know it will take a long time to change my mind set. One thing I do LOVE though is shopping for clothes again, no longer in the plus sizes. That part is really fun and since I am a shopaholic I have a new fix.

I really dont get it..

I lost 6 pounds right after my fill and then for 15 days nothing.I stayed in 800 calories , 90 gram Proteins, 30-50 grams carbs and 30 fat,eating at least 4 times a day and i dont lose.When i dont eat i lose,when i get 800 i dont.On other threads i read that you should eat at least 800-1200 calories so you can lose more.

So.. sweet spot makes you eat less (i am not hungry at all) but you need more calories so you can be able to lose.

Am i the only one not getting this?:laugh:

Sliders and liquids seems the only (unhealthy) option to me.That..or chew to death all of my food 24/7 so i can get some Protein in.

JudyDF i dont enjoy food as i used to (like pigs enjoy mud) but i enjoy it in a more "normal" way.I eat so i can nourish my shelf and pumper it with Vitamins, minerals, Protein, healthy(low) carbs.

It is a totally new way of approach to food and although at first it didnt feel good,i felt deprived, now i really start to enjoying it even if i am bored chewing and chewing and chewing and chewing .. :laugh:

I think sometimes it is very hard to decide about the sweet spot. For many months I was very tight, but not hungry between meals. This was a good sweet spot for me during most of my weightloss. Right now I am hungry between meals, but dread being any tighter so I'm putting off getting even a tiny fill. I toss around the idea of a fill all the time. For now this tossing around the idea has become my green zone.

I have found that no matter how tight I am there are many things I just can not eat. eggs are one of those things. My stomach is very sensitive and I have just learned how to deal with it. We are all so different in that way. I think you have to dance around that sweet spot very carefully sometimes. Sometimes it does get passed up and you end up in the red zone of being too tight and have to go back for a tiny unfill to get it right.

One key point to keep in mind is throwing up is never good. You have to figure out why you are throwing up and take care of the problem ASAP. Too tight? Not chewing enough? Eating things your stomach can't tolerate? Only you can figure this one out.

I never chew my solid food to the point where it is liquified and grossing me out. I just make sure every bite is well chewed.

The same thing happens to me I lose 5 to 6 lbs right after the fill and then it takes weeks on end to lose another lb or 2.