Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be able to eat starch foods if I ever had the saline removed from my band?

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knows that if I had the saline removed from my band at some point in my life, would I be able to eat things like bread, rice, and Pasta with no trouble? This is not something that I am considering anytime soon, I was just wondering if I will ever be able to eat a sandwich ever again :puke: Thank you!

Caitlin

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. Are you thinking that you can not have those things while you are restricted? But if you empty the band the passage will be big enough to tolerate those foods?

Everyone is different in what they can tolerate. I can tolerate breads, Pasta and rice with 8cc in a 9cc band. I don't have them often since my doc wants us to eat in a certain order (protein, vegetable,fruit - then you should be "full") I do know that I have a more difficult time with potatoes and thick foods like hummus.

I would say the only problem you would have is weight gain:sad:

Best of luck.

I don't eat these foods,but not because I am unable; I am still actively losing weight, and choose to focus on different foods.

I do have restriction--and still am able to eat nearly anything most days. (Some days, I am tighter than others; stress, PMS, and other factors can contribute to this.) When I get stuck, it is usually due to "user error." It's when I don't respect the tightness of my band, and act accordingly.

I do know people who have aimed for tighter restriction during loss, and have subsequently had a small unfill once at goal so that they can eat a broader range of foods.

I've chosen to work with a level of restriction that does not cause me discomfort, and rely on my decision-making to make generally wise food choices (which is not to say I don't occasionally opt for something less-nutrient-dense 'cause I really want it).

I know that bread is tricky for many; it seems like there are some breads (bagel thins, deli thins) that work for many who do have trouble with bread. Toasting also seems to help. I haven't gone down the bread path--I don't have room for it, and I don't miss it. But chances are, you will be able to find something that works.

I can eat all those things just in small quantities.

The short answer is that if you have a newer band 10cc or larger, if unfilled, you should be able to eat everything. An empty band provides restrcition for very few people.

Thank you everyone for all of the help! So far I have been okay to eat small quantities of Pasta and rice, I just tend to stay away from them at my doctors advice. I have yet to try bread again (probably a good option for me!) but i suppose I will just have to wait and see once I am at my weight loss goal! Thank you!