Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Real food = bad habits?

My surgeon had me wait 4 weeks post-op to start eating "real" food again. I have started this past Wednesday and I am FIGHTING to keep myself from falling back into my old habits. I practically had to slap my own hand from reaching for the tortilla chips and need to put my fridge under lock and key.

Tomorrow, Sunday, is my "weigh day", the day I weigh myself once a week and I am terrified that I may have actually gained because I am back to eating regular food.< /p>

Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

I know how you feel. It is really hard to start a new eating habit, but for all we've put our selves through it's not worth it!! Keep up the good work. It does get easier.

My surgeon had me wait 4 weeks post-op to start eating "real" food again. I have started this past Wednesday and I am FIGHTING to keep myself from falling back into my old habits. I practically had to slap my own hand from reaching for the tortilla chips and need to put my fridge under lock and key.

Tomorrow, Sunday, is my "weigh day", the day I weigh myself once a week and I am terrified that I may have actually gained because I am back to eating regular food.< /p>

Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

It's not uncommon to gain a little bit when we return to "real" food. Don't beat yourself up if the scales do have numbers you don't like.

I fight the tortilla chip demon too.. and saltines and any kind of crispy crunchy carb. The only solution for me is to not have them in the house. Doesn't work too well with 3 other people here who aren't trying to avoid carbs... LOL

The only saving grace I have is that I'm the one who does most of the grocery shopping .. and I don't buy them (most of the time). If DH buys them, I ask him to put them in a cabinet out of my sight. Helps, but doesn't work 100%.

Congrats on making through the liquids/mushy phase. When you start getting fills, and start getting some dimming of the appetite..it will be a little easier to fight the food demons. Keep in mind it may take more than 1 fill to get really good appetite control. Most of us have been where you are and made it through.. you will too.

Whew! I weighed in this morning and have lost. I am obviously please but still scared that this trend will not continue.

I appreciate the advice and encouragement from those who have traveled the path before me.

I have my first fill on the 20th, and while I know it probably won't happen with the fill #1, I am looking forward to "restriction" that everyone talks about.

Thanks again!:)

Kim,

I had no problems eating things like tortilla chips even when I was overfilled and couldn't eat things like chicken, steak, broccoli, etc. so restriction may not help either. You don't need to give them up though...just rethink how you eat them. Tortilla chips don't have to be bad if you can make them a rare treat. Weigh out that 1 oz or so into a bowl and put the bag away...and don't go back for another helping.

It's really common for there to be an upward blip on the scale when solids are added.

The thing to be mindful of is the kinds of solids you choose. You don't have restriction yet, but as you approach it, it will become increasingly important to make sure that the foods you choose give your body what it needs nutritionally. And now is a great time to start doing that.

My surgeon is one with lots of rules. "Real food" had a completely different meaning to him than it does for most of us. For the first year after surgery, he really expects his patients to be compliant with his eating regimen---and those of us who do actually find our own definitions of "real food" changing, too.

Many people bridle against food restrictions. For me, it's been really good guidance; learning to first choose what I need has completely changed my relationship with food.< /p>

The fact that you can eat tortilla chips doesn't mean you should eat tortilla chips. But you already knew that :)

The band is a great tool--you will find your way, and learn how to use it to your best advantage.

Well said as usual. Its just so important to give food its proper place. There's no problem with eating chips, occasionally and in moderation, but you have to first concentrate on what you need - and even their our own personal philosophies differ.

Really, and I mean REALLY think about whether you want something. I'm a no restrictions eat what I like kinda dieter, but I dont eat at every whim. If I really truly want something, I can usually distinguish that from just grabbing and shoving it in my mouth - which after five years banded I am still prone to doing.

No food is truly bad or evil even if its not nutrionally fabulous. It only becomes bad when you let it have power over you.

The other day I was making dinner (squash with marinara for me, baked Pasta for my husband) and I absently popped a penne noodle in my mouth, then realized what I'd done and spit it right back out. Just a moment where I realized how thoughtless some of my eating habits are, and how I'm going to have to be really careful for a long time to be mindful of everything I eat until I learn new habits.

It's tough, but we can do it.

If you can, put your family on a healthy diet to go along with you. They may complain, but healthy eating isn't just good for fat people. When my husband wants a treat,he buys it himself and puts it in a cabinet, but otherwise when I open my fridge, there's really nothing in it I can't eat and that helps a lot.

I've also seen people who do really good meal planning-- that seems like a good idea too since it takes the guesswork out of eating even real food.

It's tough though.

I agree that putting the whole family on a healthy 'diet' or really a new healthy way of eating is beneficial for everyone in the long run. Since I was banded two weeks ago my house has become incredibly healthy and no one has made a fuss. My husband has wanted to lose 10-15 pounds( I know, we all wish that was all we needed to lose) so he said salads for lunch and many dinners would be good. He isn't a big carb fan which is great because Im a carb whore and that is what got me into so much trouble. I've been feeding everyone a lot of veggies and Protein. My kids have always eaten healthy anyways so the veggies aren't a battle. I've stepped up the organic food shopping even more so which is totally free of nasty junk and preservatives. Having really nutritious foods and no really snacky trigger foods has made me two weeks in the liquid diet so much easier. I know that when I'm on to my two weeks of soft food and then on regular foods, keeping the temptations out of the house will be the key. I have no more willpower than anyone else here, but I am taking this band so seriously. I will not mess up my stomach and my life for food anymore. I'm trying to keep myself occupied when I think I need to eat.