Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't want a fill...

Guest CindyLooHoo

Guest CindyLooHoo

I've been pb'ing since my surgery 9 days ago (it's gotten remarkably better since last night-it's like my band finally gave in and said "Ok, ok, you can keep some fruit juice down!"). I don't even WANT a fill for a long time. Anyone else out there who doesn't like the severely "restricted" feeling? Granted, I want to eat less, but I'm scared of not being able to eat at all!!!!

Cindy

I got my first fill on Tuesday. I am on mushies today and tomorrow.

You are still very sollen give yourself time to heal. When you start getting hungry and eating almost as much as you used to you will want a fill.

Yes, its given me a bit of a fright this week too (I'm on day 8). During the middle of the week, despite feeling fantastic after surgery, I began to feel really unwell, with leg cramps and fainting. I knew I needed to eat but it was very scary that I couldnt. What would have made me feel better was a large meal, but it wasnt going to happen.

I wont be surprised if I'm tight in the mornings in future, though for me it appears to be only for a couple of hours, so my routine will probably involve getting up and having a cuppa and then Breakfast at 9 am or so.

I'm concerned about falling into different bad habits - not eating Breakfast, not eating enough fruit and vegetables etc.

I think though the best thing about the band is the flexibility you have with it. It's YOUR decision. I am more than willing to trade off having to exercise a LOT in order to be able to be filled less and eat a bit more, I want a healthier life not simply a thinner one. I also wont be backward in coming forward if I dont want a fill. Just because its scheduled if I'm continuing to lose at least half a kilo a week I'd consider not getting filled at that point.

I think you have to remain open to the fact though that things could be VERY different in a couple more weeks. I know I cant imagine having a fill now, but we will get hungry again and we will find we can eat more than is ideal.

Yes, I do not want to be severly restricted. I have had two fills, and this one is just about right for me, or so I think right now. Do this on your terms, you know what I mean? Do what's right for you today, and if it's the same for tomorrow, fine. If not, figure it out and do what's right for you then. Baby steps, baby steps. Feel you way through it.

Just wanted you to know I understand. Cindy

i felt week and nasty like I was literally starving, and can I tell you when I drank my first protien shake within hours (you really have to sip) I was feeling awesome again, and for the first time in 5 days was able to get up and clean house, slowly, I became more and more hungry, sip very very slow, and soon you will be feeling better!! if you get the powder protien mix i suggest making it with Water and a quarter of a banana for one will be easier to sip and not be thick and the banana to cover up the powdery protien taste!!

If you are having problems keeping liquids down try limiting the amounts you drink at one time. I found I did great with just an ounce or two at a time. Sip Sip Sip. Dont try to get the whole glass of anything down in one sitting. It is less stressful if you still have some swelling. Also, the canned protien drinks I had were too thick at first and I found they went down much more comfortably if I thinned them slightly with some Water.< /p>

Now isn't the time for you to even be thinking yet about your first fill. You are 100% right though, about not ever wanting a fill that's too tight, it's dangerous and painful, I know, I just had fill removed this week because of it. It's so good though that you are paying such close attention to your bodies warning signals. That will be very helpful to you from now on in with the band. She(the band) can be very fickle, sometimes it doesn't have to be a fill that's too tight. Once in awhile it can be from eating something irritating to the stoma(area where band is around the stomach). You'll know right away that it has happened and you will be able to put yourself on liquids for a few days before attempting more food.

Sounds to me like you have what it takes to become a very good bandster. Sorry you are still having this much swelling since your surgery, I know it's painful, but it won't always be like that. Patience with yourself and the band will come in handy right now and I'm sure you will do better. Just remember, teeny, tiny bites, chew, chew, chew, then swallow. If drinking, sips only, no gulping or large swallows. Try same nice warm broth, tends to be soothing to have something warm and helps reduce the inflammation.

Hope you are feeling better very soon.

Happy Holidays

Cindy

Anyone else out there who doesn't like the severely "restricted" feeling? Granted, I want to eat less, but I'm scared of not being able to eat at all!!!!

Absolutely. I didn't get a fill until I was 5 months out and lost 50# during that time. After my first fill I was MIZZZZERABBLE. I snacked more during the day and on high-calories mushies--and POTATO chips since they were about the only thing that didn't choke me after 2 bites. GAINED 3.

I went & had half my fill removed. Now I'm at 1cc and this is about right. I'm still getting used to it. Make no mistake the psychological fear of being hungry and not being able to eat will do you IN. I think because so many people get their fills 4-6 wks there is a lot of pressure to do that. It may take some time to find it, but do what works for you and do NOT get a fill until you are absolutely ready. ...And when that day comes ask your doctor to go easy on it.

Unfortunately, on its own the band does NOT make it so that you don't want food. It just makes it harder to eat it as fast and as much as you want. If you don't get some control over your desires you will find ways to eat around the band.

It is no fun at all being too tight! I'm sorry you are still having issues, but try to sip smaller quantities, take true sips as opposed to big swallows. I'm sure you already know that :(

Put all thoughts of a fill far from you mind. It is possible that if you are still this tight that you might not need a fill for quite a while. We have several bandsters who didn't get a fill until months after they were banded because they didn't NEED a fill.

Cheers and welcome to the Banded Gentry!