Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you go to a Gastro or Family doc for stomach problems?

I have been having issues with digestion or something to the point I am afraid to eat. I have been to the band doctors twice in a week. The first one gave me a script for Pepcid but said it does not sound like the band is the problem. Come back in two weeks if it does not help they will plan an endoscopy. I asked him if I should see my primary care doc about it and he said, no - anything to do with gastro problems I should come to them. Well, I could not wait 2wks as the pepcid was not helping so I went back yesterday thinking they might unfill me a bit to see if that helps. Nope, that doc (the head of the practice)said it did not sound like the band and told me to take 2 pepcid and if it does not get better in a MONTH they would schedule a endoscopy. I can not go through a MONTH of this. So, I am wondering if I should just see my primary doc about it? I figure it can't hurt since the lap-band docs can not come up with a solution. :thumbup:

At my final consult before surgery, my dr stressed that if I had ANY issues to come to him. He had just come from the hospital with a patient that had some stomach issues that were being treated by a family dr.

I think your surgeon knows exactly what was done during surgery and not all physicians completely understand what a band patient has gone through. I would probably trust my surgeon, after all you trusted him to cut on you.

Not sure what your problem is but have your tried GasX? The ones that dissolve on your tongue really helped me. I took pepcid 24 for the first month along with gas x.

Hope you get better soon!

I am 8 months out so this is not related to the pain just after surgery. All though I did try gas-x. I constantly feel as though I have an upset stomach. All of my problems are located below the band. It actually feels like as soon as food passes through my pouch into my lower stomach, all of the problems begin. Like something is just sitting in there stewing and percolating. I will have to go to my primary anyhow to try to see if I can get a referral out of him for the endo (I am self pay). I just want to feel normal again. :biggrin:

On a good note, today I feel a wee-bit better. I am nibbling saltine crackers and they seem to be helping (knock on wood!)

Go to your surgeon. Some gastrointerologists don't know enough about the band and that can be trouble. I know of someone who went to a gastro instead of her surgeon and the gastro messed her up big time! Your surgeon is probably giving you the Pepcid and waiting because your issue may just be irritation and inflammation of the lining of your stomach and that takes time to heal, you don't want to jump in and start doing invasive things if that's whats wrong. Try to be patient and take the Pepcid, don't eat any acidic foods or drinks.< /p>

I agree that you should only go to your lap band doc for stomach problems. I wouldn't let any non band doc scope me. Persist with your LB doc.

Mimi

I would go to my bariatric surgeon, no doubt about it.