Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Doctor Won't Tell Me

I went for my second fill yesterday. After it was all over my husband asked him how much he put in and he said that is not important. What is important is how I feel and that is what I should concentrate on. I kinda understand, this way I don't obsess with cc's I pay attention to how much I can eat, how slow or quick and when I feel full instead of thinking oh I have so-&-so cc's I should feel this now.

My first fill wasn't even a fill, I found out he had put in 3cc's during surgery and he decided to take a smidge out on my first fill which caused me to eat like I always did. Although I did my best to control myself but there was nothing I couldn't eat and no amount that was too much. I didn't gain or lose weight during that time.

So this morning I have eaten a banana but I'm scared to make my usual scrambled eggs, not sure if I can eat. Also don't know what to take for my lunch, usual chicken breast or Soup?

Is anyone going through this in the dark on how many cc's they have? Is it working for you? Would knowing be more helpful?

My doctor tells me if I ask, but honestly--I have no idea where I am now. I haven't remembered since my second fill (maybe 5 months ago)---after a while, it really does become unimportant. (I know we place a lot of emphasis on it at the beginning, but your doctor is right.)

I wouldn't ask unless I felt my doctor was being overly conserative (ie, giving me tiny fills that took me nowhere, but kept me going into the office and paying).

So this morning I have eaten a banana but I'm scared to make my usual scrambled eggs, not sure if I can eat. Also don't know what to take for my lunch, usual chicken breast or Soup?

Is anyone going through this in the dark on how many cc's they have? Is it working for you? Would knowing be more helpful?

When I get fills, we (the NP and I) always discuss the amount, and while I get input, the Nurse always has the final decision on the amount. I think I could probably ask for less than what she thinks I need. :thumbup:

Knowing the exact amount isn't really important, what is important is whether or not your appetite is dimmed for 3 to 5 hours after a meal. You can estimate that you have at least 3cc's (the smidge he took out was likely replaced on this fill) and perhaps a little more. I had 3cc's at time of surgery too and had reasonable appetite suppression.

As what to eat after a fill, did your doctor or his staff give you guidelines? If they didn't, please call the office and ASK!!

In the meantime, what I'm told is to do liquids the day of the fill and soft/mushie foods that evening (love fill days, that's the one day I allow myself mashed potatoes!! :thumbup:). If I tolerate the mushies ok, then back to regular food the next day. If anything causes trouble, to back down and take the progression a little slower. But please call your doctor for his preferred way to eat after a fill. They're all different and you need to adhere to what your doctor wants as much as possible.

Congrats on the fill and the impending weight loss.

IMHO.....it should be like finding out the sex of your baby. Up to you to want to know. It is YOUR body after all. Still, I can understand the doc not wanting pt's to focus on the number. Best of luck.

I havent had 1st fill yet but doc told me band size but cautioned about this site in terms of getting caught up in band size and CC's for a fill. He said its a custom tailored thing. I understood what he meant as what someone else gets even if they have same size band may not work for you and dont want us basing it on reading the posts of others. I nervous about my 1st fill cause I dont want to have to go back and forth spending money for fills. But I have to trust that Doc knows his stuff.

Me either. I would not try chicken yet,especially for lunch.Somehow i cant eat things like chicken or meat before 5,6 am.Usually i save it for dinner and it works better with my stomach.Take it easy and really really slow.You will figure out on your own what works for you best.:biggrin:

I went for my second fill yesterday. After it was all over my husband asked him how much he put in and he said that is not important. What is important is how I feel and that is what I should concentrate on. I kinda understand, this way I don't obsess with cc's I pay attention to how much I can eat, how slow or quick and when I feel full instead of thinking oh I have so-&-so cc's I should feel this now.

My first fill wasn't even a fill, I found out he had put in 3cc's during surgery and he decided to take a smidge out on my first fill which caused me to eat like I always did. Although I did my best to control myself but there was nothing I couldn't eat and no amount that was too much. I didn't gain or lose weight during that time.

That seems very strange to me and not something I would be at all comfortable with. I feel we have a right and an obligation to be involved in our own health care.

If you have no problem with not knowing, then no problem. I see my doctor as nothing more than one source of expert advice. Ultimately, *I* make all the final decisions in my medical care and I can't do that if he/she keeps me in the dark about any aspect of that care. If my doctor told me it wasn't important, I would firmly explain to them that while it is not important to them, it is to me.

Go with you're own comfort zone.