Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting a long and new journey

Well I am 26 and have been big almost my entire life. I am starting this long and scary journey. I have a great support system at work and home but they really don't understand exactly what I am feeling or going through. I have been really lucky that I don't have any health problems that are too bad. Luckily the only thing I have to face is asthma along with the weight. It is a little scary for me starting this journey but I am really excited to start it. I want to live life and not sit by and watch as it passes by. Anyone have any advice for someone starting out? :thumbdown:

I am just begging this myself. I feel like I have been in this along time. Months of internet searches. I don't have a ton of advice, I have had my consultation, Psyche appoint. all I have left is lung function test. I am in the process of quitting smoking, I had blood work done testing me for H. Pylori a bacterial infection that apparently is common. I do have it and I am on a round of horse pills. Then I can schedule the surgery.

When are you scheduled or have you already had surgery. Its very exciting:thumbup:

I have had my initial appt, my psych testing, initial appt with dietician. I have 5 more months of the diet program and my surgery will be scheduled prob for either April or May 2011. I don't have any more tests until I do my pre-op (ekg and cbc blood work)

Hey WV Girl. We're the same age. :thumbdown:

My advice is if you're really wanting this surgery is to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Talk to your PCP and research a surgeon in your area. Start making some phone calls for consults and meetings. You'll probably be required to do some testing before everything is all said and done so the sooner you start the better!

And my main advice is just do an ungodly amount of research. Read the forums ... they are extremely helpful and there are a ton of awesome people around to help.

I wish you the best of luck and feel free to drop me a line if you have anymore questions I can attempt to answer. :]

A positive attitude goes a long way :thumbup: Enjoy the small accomplishments. Expect the small setbacks, but know you just have to get back up and get going again.

You will do great. I am also 26 and was 25 when i began my process. I've been banded almost 2 months after a 6 months insurance requirement. It's been the best decision of my life :thumbup:

Good luck!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! So far I have done good especially when i thought I had gained the past 3 weeks but I infact lost 7.3 pounds to bring my total to 19.3 pounds in 7 weeks since I have started my process. The thoughts and advice are great and mean alot to me since I am a little afraid of my changing body, I am seeking the couseling that is offered through my surgeons office.