Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plz help me to help my sister

I apologize if I overlooked anything when I registered and am posting when I shouldn't (I read the intro material quickly and may have missed where it said that this forum is for patients only. I checked the "pre surgery" box because it's a required field, even though I'm not a LapBand or a LapBand-to-be patient). I found this forum while looking for info for my sister.

Friday morning, she had the LapBand surgery. Last night, she ran a temperature of 102. The fever is gone today, but she's getting horrific headaches that come on all of a sudden. It's not her BP and her blood sugars are no higher than they usually run (two hundreds). It's not caffeine withdrawal. She gave up caffeine about a month ago.

All that I can come up with is the possibility of it being the pain pills. She's no longer on Dilaudid but is still on Vicodin. Opiates don't bother me, so I can't be of any help. The medical staff have offered us no possibilities. We're only told that they don't know and that the doctor is being informed.

Please be assured that this post is not meant to ask medical questions of non-medical professionals. I'm only asking that you share your experience if it can shed any light on what my sister is experiencing.

I hope your sister feels better soon. In the 200's for blood sugar is quite high. However, if she always runs that high than I guess that's probably not it. That's good you have a call in to the doctor. Again, hope she feels better soon.

when my thyroid is too high I get the most horrible headaches! has she lost weight in her pre-surgery diet? because any amount of weight loss will affect the thyroid levels. hope she feels better! and you are a great sis for being so supportive and concerned

I would also try and get her off the pain meds. They could be the issue too. I used liquid tylenol when I had my surgery and I did ok. Some discomfort but nothing that was unbearable.

Still, the doc is your best resource. Even the ER if you are really concerned. Make sure she is hydrating because that could cause headaches too.

for me the headache is the first sign of dehydration.... is she getting enough to drink?

Well I am an RN and the first thing that comes to my mind is the question is she drinking enough fluids. She should be drinking at least 64 oz per day, more if she can. I would also suggest (as an RN I am not giving med. advice only suggestions) that she try something like tylenol for pain, but I would make sure she is drinking enough, as others have said being dehyrdated can cause terrible headaches. Hope she feels better soon, keep in touch with her doctor. :)

Thank you to everyone for replying. They have started my sister on an IV saline solution because they think that her headache may be partly due to dehydration. My sister (also an RN) said that her urine is very dark and is really hoping that's the cause.

She's been on the IV for over 4 hours and is again having a horrific headache. Toradol barely touched the pain. Dilaudid finally took the headache away for about 2 hours, but then it built back up again. She's been given a second dose of dilaudid. They are also doing blood cultures. So, they are working at trying to find out what's wrong. I just hate to see her in so much pain.

She has said that the surgery was a piece of cake compared to this headache.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm praying that she does okay through the night.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Also an RN, and also thinking first, "Is she getting enough Fluid?"

Vicodin can, indeed, cause headache. It, too, may be the culprit. It may also be the aftereffect of anesthesia and even surgical positioning (extension of the neck for intubation).

My sister was discharged yesterday and I brought her home from the out of town hospital where she had her procedure done. Her headache resolved Sunday night. It appears that the headache was due to dehydration.

While I was out of town today (my son joined the army), my sister was admitted to a local hospital. She had developed pneumonia after the surgery (my sister is a severe asthmatic and contracts pneumonia very easily). I haven't been able to check on her yet, but I will tomorrow.

I've told my sister about this forum and about how wonderful the people on here have been. She's excited to get the information to join.

Well I am glad to hear her headache is better; now she just needs to get rid of the pneumona and she will be able to start her journey to her new life.:thumbdown:

Good luck to your son to, and tell him Thanks for serving our country. :)

Thank God you got her to the hospital. I hope she heals quickly and gets home and feeling better. Give her our best and tell her we are anxious to hear from her.