Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op and I ate an egg white!

I know, I know, liquid diet for 2 weeks my doctor said, but seriously, if I have to taste one more fake sugar laden Protein Shake I'm gonna puke. I'm having a very difficult time getting enough Protein in and I'm super lethargic. I'm drinking fluids fine and chewing a Vitamin, but I just couldn't take the taste of Sucralose anymore! Every single high protein shake has some sort of fake sugar which I do not believe belongs in anyone's body. It's nasty. I broke down and ate a hard boiled eggwhite tonight. I feel kind of bad, but in a way I don't. I mashed it in my mouth as much as you can possibly mash an egg white and drank Water so it would pass through my new little stomach fast to avoid irritation. I'm not trying to cheat. I'm not hungry and haven't been since surgery on Tuesday. Please tell me I'm not going to blow it though. I was just looking for some safe protein to alieviate this crazy fatigue. I asked my husband if he though it would be ok since it is in liquid form before coooked!

I'm stuggling the same way with Protein Drinks. I just can't put em down. i had my surgery on sept 29 and all i've had was Water. so today i went back to the thicker Protein Shakes but i watered it down a bunch. the hunger pangs are so bad that they hurt! I read on the mushy stage i can have Tomato Soup. sooooo i thought i'd try that out now. i only did about 3 tblsp though..i didn't want to over do it. it went down good with no bad problems. let me tell you i've never tried Tomato Soup but it was the best thing i've ever tasted! i'm sure it's the hunger speaking.

i'm really looking forward to the egg stage too ..also says we can have cream of wheat..again something else i've never tried. ..right about now i'd enjoy anything i'm sure.

I know the hunger can get really bad but remember you all need to heal. Dont force your stomachs to digest right now it needs to rest and heal so the stitches can settle in.

If you cant stomach sweet Protein drinks try Isopure Ready To Drink Protein Drinks. You can buy then at GNC and come in all kinds of different fruit flavors.

I remember what it was like on the liquid stage and believe me it gets better just hang in there!

I was given the ok for Soups since the day of surgery. I have had Tomato, tomato rice(again, mush the hell out of the rice), creamy chicken ones(pureed) and just broth. You should see my kitchen. It literally looks like a Soup kitchen! I have every type you can imagine. I'm trying to find one that taste decent enough, has enough nutritional value, not too much Fiber and can be pureed well. Tomato has been on the top of my list. I made the Campbells Tomato Rice with one wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese. I blended the cheese to make the soup slightly creamier and it too was the best freaking soup I've ever had and I hate Campbells soups!

I am also 4 days post op and can't really stand the consistency of the shakes. Someone recommended Protein "bullets" that come in a liquid form. I purchased the iSitori Liquid Morph from GNC.com which actually had 45 grams per. They don't taste great but they are so much easier drink.

Good luck to you both! And if you find any tips, fill me in!

whats wrong with eating the whole egg? whites taste disgusting all alone

Nothings wrong with eating the whole egg... it's just the egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol and fat in them... and are hard to get down sometimes post band... My doc had me make egg salad... it goes right down...

Also, my doc kept me on Protein shakes and Soup 1 week post op and then he skipped the mushies all together and had me go to soft foods... He told me that every surgeons office is different.. and just because it's their rule doesn't mean that you will destroy your efforts if you slip up on the meal plans. That said, don't go cart blanche and pig out or anything but call the office and tell them how bad the hunger pangs are and ask them if you can go to thicker Soups.

Good luck!

Bariatric Eating has an unflavored Protein (it's called PURE) that is outstanding. Add it to broth---but stick to liquids if that is what you were told to do.

My doctor has his patients start on pureed Protein on Day Three--but there's no way of knowing if my doctor's surgical technique differs from yours. Your surgeon gave you instructions based on what he did to your body--and you need to follow them.

Find a way to stick to it.

(The bullets are made of protein that is not as bioavailable--readily used by the body---as whey protein isolate. It's better to find a low-volume whey protein option; bariatriceating.com's Inspire and PURE lines require just 4 oz. of liquid--and are very good. I happen to like them with more liquid--but that's just me. I drink the Dutch chocolate protein warmed and it's something I look forward to rather than dread--and I never wanted to see a protein shake again, either. These changed my mind.)

Yes they are going to have sweeteners but Cosco sells a ready to drink chocolate Protein shake that is really good more like chocolate milk. I keep them for quick breakfasts on the go now that I am on solids. I highly recommend watching real surgery videos on you tube (not the animated ones.) so that you can see how your stomach has been stitched around the band. I also second the idea of getting unflavored Protein. Try Vitamin Shoppe or GNC so you don't have to order it on line.

This is about healing your body. You can do serious damage to your self eating solid food. A hard boiled egg is solid food. I could not have solids for 4 weeks.

Does your doctor know you are pureeing rice in Soups? At four days I was on Clear Liquids, so broth nothing else. Yes it sucked. By the 7th day I was straining out Soup and having the liquid because it was better than regular broth.< /p>

liquids are tough but stay on them as long as your doc recommends. You might be able to eat other things but you have no idea what damage it may be doing to your stomach. When you drink liquids the stomach doesn't have to do much work to process it and send it along its way... the more solid the food the more it has to work to send it off to the intestines- the more work the more pulling and pushing on your incision/staples/stitches/band- the more risk of complications.

When I got sick of the sugary stuff I got egg drop Soup and strained it. I also used other strained Soups and added non flavored GNC whey Protein to them to increase the Protein.< /p>

My surgeon only had me on Clear liquids the first 3 days, then day 4 to 6, regular liquids which included Soups, Protein drinks etc. Then day 6 through day 9, mushy food (scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes and yogurt). Day 10 on soft foods and steamed veggies, day 14 can attempt regular food but stay away from Pasta, bread etc..

It so strange to me that we are all on such different post op diets.

I haven't had any problems except my 3rd day, could not swallow any liquids at all. Called my surgeon, he had me come in and he unfilled my band by 3 1/2 cc's. going in for a fill mid october. When he attaches the band, he fills with 4 cc's - I hadn't even known that...

Its so frustrating that everyone's doctors are telling them different things. I was told shakes, thin juice, broths, strained Soups and whatever thin liquids I could down would be fine and then at the end of this week, about now, I could puree some fruit into a shake. Funny how each doctor has a differing opinion on what is safe. I am supposed to be doing the liquid thing for two weeks and then onto light meats like sliced turkey, fish, fruit sauces, yogurts, etc. I'm guilted over the egg now! Trust me, I'm really not trying to sabotage myself after 5 days. I've lost 10 pounds as of this morning and that included two pre op days of just liquids so I'm excited. I had about 6 oz of a shake this morning and some Tomato bisque which was awesome. I guess that I need to put my big girl(quickly shrinking!) pants on and suck it up for 9 more days. I think a trip to Macy's this morning to go buy some new pants two sizes smaller for my trips in November will be a motivator. My husband doesn't care if I get the $155 7 For All Mankind jeans as long as they come from the normal sized section of the store. Shop on I say!

They really need to make a system standard for post op because all the different requirements of different physicians can make people think they can try other things. I'm just saying it would be nice.

They really need to make a system standard for post op because all the different requirements of different physicians can make people think they can try other things. I'm just saying it would be nice.

You are so right! If there were a standard that all doctors would agree to we wouldn't be on fourms like this trying to figure out what to do.

I had a much better day today. I found the Protein shots at Rite Aid and liked them much better than the shakes. Off to shop for more tomorrow.