Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Statistics (longer term)??

Does anyone know where I can find some stats on lap bands longer term? My sister, who is working on insurance approval for the band, went to a weight loss options seminar yesterday given by a local endocrinologist. He was extremely negative about the band and it's long-term success rate. She felt that he was really presenting an unbalanced view of lap band as an option...he was overwhelmingly more favorable to the GB and basically dismissed the band as not worth anyone's time and money. I would love to send him some information including statistics for more than a couple of years. Her PCP was really not familiar with the band, but he was willing to write her a letter in favor of it as long as it was a legitimate option. We're sending him a packet of information and would like to include the stats for him, too.

Thanks...

Emily

A lot of doctors that offer lap banding don't offer GB or DS. They normally plug their own product. The GB doctors will give you info that the band is not proven; that the success rate is very low; that they don't do it because it requires more than ONE surgery almost always. On the other hand the seminar that I went to for GB scared the heck out of me, and I also learned that whereas I thought DS was simpler it is actually more dangerous. The dr. told me it can't be done laparoscopically and they need a huge incision. That scared me plenty. As for the GB, the drs. that do it rave about it, but they don't tell you all about the horrible "dumping syndrome" that always occurs, nor do they tell you that they are going to completely rearrange your intestines and leakage is a major problem that can lead to death even.

Maybe you can't lose 90% of the weight you want in a yr. on the lap band, but it certainly sounds much, much safer and less invasive than having something as permanent as GB. Actually, if you are my age, which is 60+ they don't give you an adequate amount of time to live to enjoy the GB, so it isn't for me. If I need more than one surgery to fix something it isn't the end of the world, but it could be with GB.

That's just my two cents worth from what I learned going to the seminars, and the fact that my GP said absolutely NO to the GB surgery because she doesn't think it is safe by any means.

Every dr. touts their own surgery.

Dody~

This doc doesn't do any of the surgeries as he's an endocrinologist rather than a surgeon. This was supposed to be an impartial informational seminar for people interested in some type of WLS. It really annoyed me, which is why I'd like to "educate" him a bit with some stats. I actually did consult him when I first started thinking about WLS a couple of years ago and he wasn't helpful then, either.

Emily

I was going to get banded at UCLA where (until recently) they did both GB and LB. They stopped doing bands very recently - a month or so ago. When I found out, I asked them why and the program coordinator said the band has low success rates and requires too much follow up care.

I was told that due to port problems; erosion; and slippage that very few people just have the one surgery for the band. Now, this is a dr. touting GB, so I don't know how much stock I can put in what he says. He said the same thing; the band has a low success rate, but for me it sounds like the answer. I am happy to lose slower and not have my insides arranged.

That is just what I was told; that lap banding rarely stops at one surgery.

I do not blame you for wanting the doctor to be fair and educated about his comments. Unfortunately, they rarely change their own opinions and not concerned with the actual stats. I don't really understand why a physician would be so strongly set against the band, perhaps it's personal, who knows.

It's really not important what one physician or even one person thinks. The only opinion that really counts is that of the individual making the decision, period.

I have very sound and solid reasons for chosing the band over GB, but that doesn't mean that I ignore the feelings of those who have chosen that path.

Each of us is different with different goals, reasons and issues. For the band to truly be effective, you must be willing to do the work and relearn your dietary and exercise lifestyle. If you feel that you are not ready for that, then maybe GB is better for you, I cannot say. The success or failure of each, with the exception of problems such as slippage, erosion or dumping and malnutrion, lies pretty much at our own feet.

Each WLS has it's own pros and cons and each have success stories and sadly failures(for lack of a better term).

I am banded, that was my educated choice and I have never, ever regretted it, even to this day. I love that I have control and that I can learn to live with a new lifestyle. For me it's perfect. But that is my experience and certainly not everyone banded feels this way. We have all made choices that we have come to regret, thankfully, for me, this wasn't one of them.

Good luck with your efforts. I sincerely hope that you can shed some educated light on this doctor and if not, it won't be due to your lack of trying.

Happy Holidays

Cindy

A post worth reading. I think I am informed that the band is the right decision for me too.

Did you find out anything about the slippage you thought had occurred?

Out of curiosity; have you truly required only one fill, because that is awesome.

Dody

Does anyone know where I can find some stats on lap bands longer term?

There are tons of studies - and you can access most medical journals on-line, now. Someone started a "Links" thread. I posted a few of the search engines for Medical Journals on that.

People are always biased toward what is most familiar to them - and for now, for most people in the US, that means bypass...

Take Care!