Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my Portless Band

Okay, so I asked a local doc to remove my band. He isn't a band doc or even a surgeon, but he gave me a referral for an Upper GI that came back normal. But Penni had a normal Upper GI too, so I went back to the guy and cried for an endoscopy. I told him I either wanted a port and support, or just take the thing out before I hurt myself. I would rather have a simple band removal than something like what happened to Diane Beck, or 40 staples like poor Francesca ended up with.

I'm scheduled for my endo next week. I'm brining pictures of Penni's erosion, plus I need to call Dr. Billy and ask him if he'd dictate the endo procedure for whoever does mine since nobody here is familiar with the band. Penni said Billy didn't see erosion on his first pass, so if it's THAT difficult for a seasoned band doc to detect, imagine how hard it will be for someone with no band experience?

I was also given a referral to a local surgeon, but I need my endo results before making the appointment. I have no idea what my insurance will cover. Will they remove a healthy band? Will they consider a port necessary enough to pay for replacement? I don't know.

I also asked this doc for a referral to my insurance plan's weight loss support department, which I lost (that's my subconscious working for me.) So today I'm starting DeLarla's Diet. I have absolutely zero willpower these days, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to follow it. I've let all my band rules go bye-bye. Thanks to naughty tricks I learned right here at LBT, I now drink with meals to get more in and eat past a PB. Tsk tsk. Where did Square One go?

Lisa, good luck in your process and decision. I hope they find out everything is okay and get you a port (covered by insurance). If not and you have your band taken out, I hope you have phantom band like some others are experiencing.

I have read all the difficulties you have gone through and your patience, endurance, and humor have provided many of us with hope, laughter, and patience of our own.

Here's wishing you the best and asking you to keep us updated. I know these decisions must have been difficult for you to make. Good luck. Celeste

Well, so far the surgeon refuses to see me and referred me to Fisher, who also refuses to see me.

Hmmm....is it a sign? I'm jus' sayin'.......

What kind of sign? If I'm eroded, the only choice I have is to shoot myself in the stomach and get taken to the Trauma Center. I'm sure they'd decide "the band must come out if we want to get to that bullet."

Thanks for all your support babies, but can I borrow a gun?

I was ref'd to a general surgeon, who said I need to see a bariatric surgeon. They told me to see Fisher or Atkinson (Lopez's best friend and his associate.) Fisher is the one who has refused to see me all along. Back to Square One.

I know you aren't thrilled with the guy are the moment, but what about placing a call into Lopez, and having him call someone he knows in the states. Like a 'direct referral' not, "hey I know this guy, give him a call"?

Maybe Dr. Billy knows someone in Nevada??

I am not sure how far Tahoe is from Vegas but Billy does business out of an office there now too. SO you might wanna call and see if he can see you there. Not sure if this is even an option now either though. Just a thought.

Uh, I'll never look at Lopez again. No way, no how. Billy will be my last option. I'll just show up on Penni's front step acting like my crazy mother, she'll shoot me in the gut, John will call 911, and they'll rush me to the closest bariatric surgeon, who happens to be Billy. Phew, feels good to have that worked out finally.

YUP 12 gauge loaded and cocked. LOL!!!! Car running! Heater going! Billy alerted. OR ready.