Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in Melbourne about the get banded?

Well I have my date to get my band on the 27th of October. I'm a little scared, but know that I will be fine.

Just wondering if anyone else is getting there band done soon as well.

Sorry about the titile - was supposed to be "about to get banded"

Edited by Tory101
cause i'm stupid

Well I have my date to get my band on the 27th of October. I'm a little scared, but know that I will be fine.

Just wondering if anyone else is getting there band done soon as well.

Sorry about the titile - was supposed to be "about to get banded"

Hi, my surgery date is 21st october....a few days before you...now on the Optifast pre-op diet...not as bad as I thought it would be :-)

My date is 15 November how are you going???getting more nervous...Im wondering if Im doing the right thing

My date is 15 November how are you going???getting more nervous...Im wondering if Im doing the right thing

Hi, getting pretty close now...Thursday! Both nervous and happy about it. Have been going ok on Optifast, but last couple of days have been really difficult, dinner out on Friday with family at a Chinese restaurant (I had a small bowl of very ordinary vegies mostly canned!) and then Sat night, family wedding, again a serve of vegies only, but I did cheat a little by eating 2 very small baby new potatoes! Have lost just under 6kg in a bit over a week, so that's keeping me motivated. I hope that my liver is now in much better shape! I do worry a bit though about whether I will cope ok, not being able to eat all the foods that I've loved for so long, and if my 'mind' hunger will cause me any grief....anyone had any thoughts on this? Cheers, Ishkahara

Good luck for Thursday,im not having to do the Optifast thing as I am a Low BMi Bander

BMI 33,I have 3 co-morbids though

But have lost alot recently to prepare I hate Optifast and all simular things I find it really hard and I had a long stint with them a while back

I am heading to Dr Chan for surgery on 15th of November I live Outer East melb where are you?

6kgs fantastic start what are your stats?

I am also worried about my mind hunger worried it wont recognise the satiety feeling ??? I am worried I will only recognise full

i think I will struggle but do as they say and stick to the advised food portions even if I dont feel the satiety so I can tell them how much I need to be filled , I just hope they give enough fill asap so im not waiting too long in between!!

I have read on here some people can take upto the 3rd fill before its right and they feel satiety:eek:

Anyway hope all goes well and looking forward to hearing all about it when you are up to it :)

cheers

My starting bmi is 38, which is considered 'low' for this procedure, but also have co-morbidities. Down to 37 now, with the loss so far on Optifast. I'm not minding the Optifast too much, as long as I don't have any more social outings! My surgeon is Andrew Smith, being done at Glen Iris Private as a day patient. I'm also from the outer east. Trying to finish off everything at work, before I start leave. It's good to have a chat, as I've made the decision not to tell any of my friends or family that I'm doing this (except for my partner of course). There's always the naysayers out there, and I consider that this is a very good thing that I am doing for myself. My partner is not altogether supportive, he thinks I should just lose the weight and keep it off, all with will power and exercise. Of course he isn't overweight, and never has been! Stocked up the pantry / fridge yesterday with the necessary items for the liquid phase. Can't be worse than the opti phase...can it? :thumbup:

weight.png

Edited by Ishkahara

Not about to get banded, have been banded five years but I am in Melbourne. Where are you going?

Hi, any tips for us newbies? looks like banding has been a huge success for you! :-)

Hey Ish any news how was the surgergy, what liquids are you taking

Hi Redoz...going well, now 12 days post op, still on liquids...optifast shake for Breakfast, mainly pureed veg Soup for lunch dinner, a little bit of custard, and some liquid yoghurt ...that's about it. Have an appointment on Thursday with dietician, and hopefully will move onto some soft foods after that. Not feeling much hunger, although last night I had a bit of a bad spell, and ate 3 scoops of icecream with custard!!!!!! It went down a little to easily too, but hopefully it was a one off. How are you doing? Cheers, Ish

Hi again hope all is well with you did you have to stay on Clear Liquids at all for a few days? Are you sore or were you ? I cant belive I only have a week to go!!

as you swelling gone down and have you started to feel hungry again when is your first fill

How are you goimg with small mouthfuls chewing slowly etc

Well I hope you are enjoying the soft foods by now :)

Hi again hope all is well with you did you have to stay on Clear Liquids at all for a few days? Are you sore or were you ? I cant belive I only have a week to go!!

as you swelling gone down and have you started to feel hungry again when is your first fill

How are you goimg with small mouthfuls chewing slowly etc

Well I hope you are enjoying the soft foods by now :)

Hi there, going very well indeed! I was on clear liquids for a couple of days, then onto the 'straw' diet for the remainder of the 2 weeks, which was really quite easy, as I felt no hunger at all (very strange sensation...for me anyhow...:crying:) I started to feel a bit of hunger developing about mid last week, but then I had my dietitian appointment on Thursday, and started on the soft foods phase, which is also going along very well, although I do have to go very slowly with my eating, and as you say...chew chew chew.....another new sensation for me, as I've always eated far too quickly (always in a hurry). I do find not having anything to drink with my meals a bit difficult, especially my cup of tea with Breakfast, but I guess I will adapt. The swelling for the most part is gone, the wounds are healing over nicely, and only a slight amount of pain, if for example I lean over, or press against my desk at work. The first couple of days were a bit uncomfortable, but not overly painful, but I was sensible about taking the pain killers, so that I could be up and mobile as soon as possible, and they certainly help you to do that. I know some people try to do it without the pain meds, but they serve their purpose, in that first week or so. I have been walking most days, and also been for a couple of rides on my new push bike...which is another new experience! I've only fallen off twice so far!!! :w00t: Overall I am extremely happy with everything, have lost just under 12 kg's since the start of Optifast. I see my surgeon in a fortnight, and presume that I will get my first fill then.

So you only have a week to go? How are you coping with the Optifast phase....or didn't you have to do that? Where are you having your surgery done? Keep in touch, and keep smiling, because the LAP-BAND® is definitely going to be one of the best things you could do for yourself. Best wishes, Ish...:)

Hi I am a newbie here from South east Melbourne. Day 3 of pre-op Optifast. Surgery date 24/11/10. Nervous, scared excited, dreaming. I have waited 3 years from date of my referral from my GP to have it on medicare. Can't complain. My BMI is 53.3. For all of my teenage and adult life I have been overweight, so it is going to be a weirdly wonderful. I have been reading some posts and it has been most Helpful.

Well im on the other side too now felt silly at the hospitial being al ow BMIer and the nurses were bigger than me and seemend to be judging me !!! , I have had a few problems with frothing up, which from what I have now read is from the band intially being too tight and finding it hard for even Water to go down the salivia mounts up trying to lubricate then you can vomit, I found this happened when I drank a little too much or drank then lay sown afterward if I stay upright for a while Im ok .

Today It has only happened once thankfully as its not pleasant, the doc said that when the swelling goes down a little it should pass and if it didnt then I would have to have some fill out.

Im down 3kgs since surgergy, and blending my Soups well & still having shakes I made macoroni for the family the other day and made some extra cheese sauce for me YUM.

My port hole is a little sore still but ok having trouble swallowing pills so ahve avoided them

I havent really felt hungry and when I did a little a sip of tea and it dissapears, a 1/2 can of Soup a day and berocca at this stage is what my body is getting.

Ish have you had your first fill? did you get hungry yet?

Hope you are well

Welcome Pene hope all goes well for you soon on the 24th where are you going ?

I went to DR Chan in

Hello there Redoz, good to hear you are coming along nicely...albeit some frothing problems. I didn't have that at all...at least not yet. I am to see my surgeon next week, and presume I will get my first fill then. I'm probably needing it too, as I have been experiencing some hunger. I also think I've been eating a bit too much sometimes, as I get a pain on my left side after eating...or perhaps I am eating too quickly. I will ask all the questions when I see the doc...

Welcome Pene and hope to hear about your experiences as well.