Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

She's approved, I'm trying to be supportive

Stress test was not hard

I had to walk on a tread mill and they just kept increasing the incline and speed.

Mine wa done by a cardio.guy and they took some pics before and then as soon as i got off they did again to see how quickly my heart recovered. It was nat as hard as i thought it would be. Make sure she wears good comfortable walking shoes and comfortable clothes. and be prepared for her legs to be tired that night!!

Good luck guys!!

I wish I had a support like you when I was starting this whole thing!!

Sounds to me like she already has the best tool for success in all of this, you. What an incredibly sensitive and compassionate person you are and I am sure you will make things soooo much easier for her.

As a spouse you too will need support. It can be an exhausting and sometimes frustrating and helpless feeling when someone is needing support. Coming here should be able to help both of you greatly.

I wish both of you the very best luck. It is so nice to hear from partners who really care for each other. It is an invaluable resource and I'm quite sure she is aware of it.

Keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Happy Holidays

Cindy

Cheri, Tina and Cindy, thank you all. Tina, if that's all she has to do, this is going to be a SHORT stress test.....LOL All I know is that I want her around for the rest of my life and this seems to be a great tool to help ensure that happening. Do any of you think I should go out and buy some of those "socker bopper" things? *mischevious grin*

What a great hubby. It might take a sec, but she'll get over the "easy way out' metality. It takes lots of hard work in the beginning to be banded...lots of thinking, planning, learning how to eat, etc...but once she gets it under her belt, she'll be so happy to share her good news with the kiddos!

I asked my hubby not to play "food police" with me and that was helpful. He tried to make sure I was doing okay, doing the right things, and I just needed him to not worry. It's a tough journey and many of the food issues are also head issues. Just let her be, research for her when she has a question or concern, keep your "yes, dear" handy, give her hugs and make yourself available...I think you are off to a great start!

Your wife has a huge advantage already in having you to support her...she's a lucky woman! I wish both of you the best of luck on this journey!

Emily

And Shirley, I enjoyed the trip thru your webpage and your blog...but you really need to add some more to it. I was ready to go out and kick some doctor butt. All you had to do was point me in the right direction.....hehehe

Hey Jack, thanks. MsJoy is obsessing right now over not passing the stress test, then catching a cold (you've never seen anyone with hands that clean) and not being able to have surgery. She's also not looking forward to being on a liquid diet through Christmas (she's the pecan pie queen...mmmmm mmmmm good pie). And that's a good idea about the pictures, I'll get started with them.

So Kathy, are you saying that I will have to let her suffer a little to learn what she can and can't do?

Exactly! And no "I told you so's" either...not even the knowing looks that say the same!! LOL

She may want the food Police at times, I just know lots of my eating issues were/are having control when everything else is spinning out, taking care of me by feeding me, and the like. It takes a bit of head work to eat through those things and change those habits, learn NOT to do that, you get the picture. Having DH hover made it more stressful. Ask her, do what she needs you to do. She'll figure it out. You are a good hubby!

OK, back home. Stress test went fine and she was cleared for surgery. Dr. Gopal did put her on some free samples for high blood pressure. Went to Dr J's office and they took us back and scheduled the surgery for Dec 28th at 7:15 am. WoooHoooo! I'm more excited about it than she is, I think.

What a cool christmas present you guys are getting this year!!!

So are you going to wrap a can of chicken broth to put under the tree for her to use as a symbol of the present?? HAHA (you just wont be able to unwrap that one in front of the family)

Let's see: the most helpful things my hubby does:

1) Doesn't say a word about my weight unless I say something first.

2) If I say "I've lost another pound!" he congratulates me

3) If I whine that the scale is up he says "you probably just ate something salty"

4) He doesn't pressure me to work out, but he encourages me when I bring it up (things like asking what time to set the alarm in the morning, skedaddling out of the room when I want to do a workout video, watching our toddler so I can run to the gym, inviting me to walk or swim with him for fun)

5) If I have bad gas pains or swallow something too big and get that deer-in-the-headlight look he doesn't play food police -- he just sympathizes and asks "what can I do to help?"

6) He asks me what I want for dinner and makes it.

7) If he wants junk food, he hides it so I don't see it. Pop cans are kept in the bottom crisper in the fridge where they can't be seen when I open the fridge. Candy/chips are heaven knows where.

8) He never comments on serving sizes. He never comments if I bring home something like Cookies. (no food policing again)

etc.

Such a sweet guy. :D