Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op and all I want is water!

Hey everyone,

Well I got my band monday!! I'm soo excited about it, and the surgeon said everything wen't really really well. I'm home now..doing my thing (walking, Water, and breathing exercies) and the pain really hasn't been too bad.

At this point I'm released to eat full liquids...jello, protien shakes, pudding etc, but I have absoultely not been intrested in drinking anything but water! Not hungry for any of that in the least bit.

Anybody else kind in the same boat? I guess were just supposed to suck it up and get down what we can? It's kinda nice that I haven't been hungry in 3 days but I know it won't last forever. Thanks for letting me ramble :drool:

I'm pretty much the same way I was banded Tuesday (9.28.10) and so far I've been drinking Water and sometimes add crystal light. I've had about 2 bouillion cubes but other then that water's been my "best friend" and even that I don't have a desire for, I'm always feeling full.

Your body needs Protein to heal so force yourself to drink your Protein shakes. Also, while it may be exciting that you don't want to eat, if you deprive your body of Protein, it will go after your own muscle *and* you'll set yourself up for starvation mode and your body will become very efficient and weight loss will actually be slower.

I felt similarly post op. The Protein is important though... At Wal Mart they have Protein Shots which is two ounces of a watery cherry flavored liquid that mixes well diluted in water! Lived on that for the first 10 days or so...They are called Pure Protein Shots and come in a tube. I'm almost 6 months post op and I'm down 50 pounds so I must be doing something right!! LOLOL

Remember to be like a turtle... slow and steady wins this race!!

Hugs and congratulation on being a Bandster!! WOHOO!!

Its not about what you "want" anymore as far as food goes. You have to concentrate on feeding your body the right stuff to heal. I remember forcing myself to drink the Protein drinks, and struggling to get in the daily Water requirements.

You will have to change your thinking from what you "what" to what does my body "need"?

You can do it, slow and steady wins the race!

I'm in the same boat. I had surgery yesterday but im forcing myself to drink the protien shakes. I think the pain is over powering the hunger :drool:

I just had mine done Tuesday. I've been so up and down since then. I can't get over the fatigue. I am so dang exhausted. I am trying hard to get enough Fluid in me. I was told yesterday to not worry about the shakes for a few days, but to just hydrate because your body has enough reserves to keep you going. I'm trying hard to get some pureed Soups in me, but I find that just a few teaspoons is way more than enough. I was proud of myself that I actually had maybe 3 oz of a Muscle Milk shake and finished off a Vitamin Water today. I have to remember to get some more Water into me today though because I fear the dehydration.

I'm really surprised/disappointed that I feel so lethargic still. I swear I had more energy after a c section. Please tell me that this isn't going to be the norm? I have had 3 knee surgeries before and didn't feel so tired on day 3. :drool:

Same boat. Had my surgery Tuesday and I'm still feeling like crap!! I am living off broth and mellow. The creamed chicken Soup was ways to thick. Glad I'm not the only one:)

Hi Julie,

I'm feeling a little more normal tonight. Managed some more Muscle Milk, a tiny bit of juice and some chicken broth. I'm forcing Water down as well because my very yellow pee is telling me that I'm really dehydrated. I have a feeling that tomorrow will be a nice turning point. Thankfully the kids are in school all day, my house is pretty clean and I have nothing but TV, the internet and my iPad to keep me going. I think I'll do some 'window' shopping for some skinny jeans for motivation. I have lost 6 pounds since Tuesday which is nice, although I know most is Water, it's nice to see the scale say 229 instead of 235! Stick in there and send me an email. Lets chat.

Melissa

It's okay to focus on fluids for the first few postop days; that is what your body needs the most. Yes, ultimately, you will need to get your Protein and other nutrients in. But a clear liquid diet is NOT designed to do much more than hydrate you---and Water does that just fine.