Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on Monday and have questions plz help

So I was banded on Monday and was taken back by how much this surgery hurts. Ofcourse I didn't picture it as a walk in the park but wow it is so much more painful then I expected. I took some of the pain meds yesterday and ended up throwing them up. I called my doctor and they said not to worry about it. Anyways I would like to know how to get rid of this disgusting taste in my mouth. I've tried spitting, brushing my teeth, and drinking some Water and it will not go away. Also how long did it take to feel somewhat normal again after being banded?

So I was banded on Monday and was taken back by how much this surgery hurts. Ofcourse I didn't picture it as a walk in the park but wow it is so much more painful then I expected. I took some of the pain meds yesterday and ended up throwing them up. I called my doctor and they said not to worry about it. Anyways I would like to know how to get rid of this disgusting taste in my mouth. I've tried spitting, brushing my teeth, and drinking some Water and it will not go away. Also how long did it take to feel somewhat normal again after being banded?

Congrats on your Lap-Band! Things will be getting better with each day! If you need to, cut the pills in half and drink slower. I dont remember the taste being bad, but it was definetly "off", if you know what I mean. The worst of the pain was gone after 5 days. The port incision was tender for a long time, but not really painful. Hang in there and you will be fine!

Hey there,

I got banded on Monday as well!!! Congrats! I'm sorry youre not feeling well. My Dr sent me home yesterday with liquid hydrocodone...it doesnt taste good but it totally takes the edge off and I havent felt nauseated once since surgery! When the pain does creep up on me I've found that walking helps more than anything!!!

Good luck to you...I think the worst is over for us!! On to a brand new life!!!! B) Holly

What I have been doing with my pain meds is sipping it slowly alternating with a sip of Water. This may help dilute it a bit. Take your time getting it down. Don't forget to take it again every so often as you don't want the pain to get ahead of you. I was banded last wednesday and it has been rough but it gets better every day.

You could also have some lingering affects of general anesthesia, did you doctor give you suppositories for nausea? I haven't had to use them luckily but when I was overnight in the hospital I had terrible nausea whenever I sat up.

How long did it take to actually lay down and be-comfortable in bed??

I was on the recliner for 6 days.

I made it through the night last night in bed actually but I put like 3 pillows under my knees and that helped a lot.

Today in between walking I've been going back in forth to the reliner and then on the couch. I think just changing positions every once in a while helps. Make sure you take some pain meds if you need it!

I love reading this, I'm subscribed to the thread "looking for September bandsters", I hate to be a complainer so I kept kinda quiet, but it seemed to me everyone was doing better than me. I too didn't think the pain would be like it was. I banded last Weds. and am just now feeling a little more like myself. Your body goes through a lot of changes in such a short time, believe me, rest is the key if you don't feel great. I just didn't push it once I realized I was wiped out! I'm feeling about 70 percent better than I did last Weds. It's a longer process than imagined, this is a major surgery whether it takes 1 hour or 5 hours, your body needs rest. Keep trying little bits of things until you find what you like. Here's what I had, pureed Soups, yogart (greek), sugar free pudding, mashed (very, very mashed) potatoes. I tried to get all the Protein in, and that's all you can do is try. I started to have what I could tolerate and I figured even though I wasn't doing exactly what I was suppose to, any food was better than having no food and no nurioushment whatsover. As the days pass you figure it out and you just take it slow. Today I had scrambled eggs ate them slow and mushed with the fork, it's Protein and it went down OK. Hang in there. If you can't take the whole tablespoon of meds take half, take a sip, do what you can do. As all surgeons are different, so are patients. Once you can eat better, you will be able to get the balance in. Stay strong and rest, rest, rest, and sip, sip sip!

Brenda

oh, I did lose 10lbs in a week, so I didn't do too bad!

Edited by highlojack
mistake on spelling

It took me about 2 weeks for me to sleep comfortably, but it does get better everyday. I am so happy with my band!! B)

I was in a lot of pain too for a few days. The night of my surgery I went home and was miserable because the liquid lortab made me vomit, so not only was I not getting pain relief, I was in MORE pain from the dry heaving. My doc switched me to pill-form lortab (cut up) and it was so much better! I was back to work 5 days after surgery and I felt so much better by then, and at about a week out I stopped taking the pain meds.

It gets better, I promise!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded. Your words and similar situations make me feel a lot better. I was able to actually sleep in bed last night and slept like a baby! i woke up this morning feeling so much better. I decided to start my morning off with a Protein Shake and a walk. I will then shower and put on a new outfit to go to a birthday party that i have to go to. It will be interesting when I am the only not eating and everyone tries to hug me. I have not told these people and do not plan on telling them....I guess I will just have to see how it plays out. Any advice??? thanks again! <3

I was banded Tuesday Sept 29th and honestly other than the no bowel movement until this afternoon I feel absolutely wonderful. i've been up and out of the house shopping with my daughter and mother. Today i'm relaxing but crushing the pain meds will help to keep them down.