Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 fills in 1 month - anyone else???

Just wanted to give a reply to those to responded. It's been 2 days since my doctors appointment. I was given the green light to go ahead and start eating mushies. I was a little apprehensive about starting when they decided to leave the 9ccs in the band.

I have to admit I have had no problem eating food or getting things down the old pipes. Tonight I had shredded beef (BBQ) and loved it.

I don't know what the amount that most people are able to eat but 1/2 cupped filled me up with no discomfort.

I feel great about my start and the past 2 days.

Cathy

So glad to hear that things are going well for you Cathy. After reading the posts here I would not have been surprised if you were afraid to take even a bite of food. LOL Good to know all is well. This is the first time I've seen your post or I would have responded sooner. My doc is very liberal with fills. I had my post op one week after surgery and started getting fills every two weeks after that. My fills were not as big as yours, he started with 1 cc, then 1.5, then another 1.5, etc. I have a 10 cc band. At one point I thought I was at my sweet spot so when I went in for my next fill I asked for less than he intended. It worked out okay. It took a while before I hit my sweet spot, but I have been there a while. I was supposed to go back to the doc about 3 months ago, but ... I really don't need a fill, so I didn't go. My doc was liberal with my fills and I have had no problems with slippage or any other problems with the placement of my band.

The one thing I will say is that being so tight so soon you probably should heed what others have said and pay close attention when you are eating. Be sure to chew your food well. I say this because, whether you get to restriction fast or slow, you still have to adjust to new habits with the way we eat food.

I wish you continued success on your journey.

My fills have been over a longer period of time--but my surgeon was willing to do both my second and third fills 3 weeks ahead of schedule. (He usually does 6 weeks between fills; I asked for my second fill early, had it at 3 weeks, then used my 6-week appointment for my third).

He fills fairly aggressively--though with recent fills, it's been more cautious (I'm at that, "Is this enough? Will more be too much?" stage.)

I would trust your doctor knows what he's doing--as long as you're aware that as you go forward, the fills will be smaller and their effects MUCH more dramatic (i.e., you may find yourself experiencing more swelling/discomfort at first), you're golden :smile2:

If nothing else, you've been spared a prolonged bandster hell.

You'll need to be very cautious as you introduce solids, though--they are a whole different ballgame. My doctor starts his patients on solid Protein (first pureed, then regular) on Day Three postop--so all fills take place after we've resumed eating. The ability to tolerate food is one thing he assesses when determining the need for fill. Removing this from the equation, I wonder what criteria your doctor uses to determine whether you are too tight. That's the one thing that gives me pause; what happens when you start eating?

I agree with everyone else. I can't believe your doctor is making you have all those fills. I don't get my first one until 10/07 and I was banded on 09/08 and I'm just starting to feel like it's time for a fill.

I had 3 fills by my 8th week post op 4cc-2cc-2cc in a 15cc band. I am currently @9.5cc and I amvery close if not at the sweet spot. My next appt is in 2 weeks. If nothing is changed I will pass on my next fill.