Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got stuck for the first time

Today at lunch I was eating some chicken and working and not really paying attention (my bad) and I was not chewing properly and I got stuck. I had no idea what it would feel like, but WOW now I know. I almost threw up right on the spot at my desk, then tried to drink some Water which just made the feeling worse and I had to run to the bathroom where I thought I would be sick. Then I remembered reading on the forum that if you feel like you are stuck, then stand up and flap your left arm like a chicken for a bit and it should help it pass. Do you know...IT WORKED!!!! It only took a minute and it really did work. I guess it is a good thing that this happened to teach me a lesson. I will have my first adjustment next Tuesday and this made me realize how closely I MUST pay attention. Dont want that feeling again...ever!!!

Whoever posted that little tidbit of information...THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!! :smile:

Tyna

wow..thanks! i had just asked someone else what to do when that happens! i bet people were wondering what you were doing.. lol sounds funny [the flapping] but hey if it worked..awesome!

It really was funny, but thank goodness I was in a closed ladies room stall. LOL. My husband said that it was a good thing I was eating chicken (flapping like a chicken) and not beef or I might have had to moo and stop my hoof!! LOL

It worked this time, but I am going to do my damndest not to ever have that happen again! It was painful, scary and I really almost threw up all over my desk! I would have stood there and flapped like a chicken right away if I knew it would have worked right away!!! It was sort of like the last resort type of thing before having to do the finger down the throat thing.

The first time I got stuck, I drank orange juice and the orange juice ended up coming out of my nose at an insane high velocity. It scared the crap outta me!

Yesterday, I got stuck in front of a coworker because I was trying to eat a muffin. Sometimes you either have to just breathe and let it pass or try to bring it back up. It really isn't fun, but I'd rather have these little inconveniences than be fat for the rest of my life (that's a good thing to say to someone when they ask "do you throw up all the time?") :smile:

alilbit...lmao..that is so funny [the hoof] well i'm glad it helped you! i read that even Jello could get stuck! i tell ya, you learn something everyday! thank God for this site huh? I want to join a support group closer to where i live but I haven't found any!

Manda...why orange juice? was it just to drink something or what?

Yeah, mine was going quick. I dont know how I was able to contain myself, but I managed. I was ready to grab the garbage can, but decided to run for the ladies room instead. I didnt want anyone to know if I did have to bring it up myself.

I have been really good and I have not tried anything I am not supposed to in 5 weeks. I am pretty proud of myself, but now I really need to concentrate on my chewing. You are right though. I would rather this than be fat too. I am 4.5 weeks post op and have lost close to 25lbs! I already feel so much better.

Manda...why orange juice? was it just to drink something or what?

It was Breakfast and orange juice sounded good at the time. It really does hurt when it comes out of your nose. :smile: lol

Too funny ......had to laugh at a few of these posts. Thanks for the smile!

It's all about the learning process. I really have learned to chew everything well and when I'm full without thinking about it much.

A few stuck episodes or bites past full will teach you well.