Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded in a week and trying not to freak out. Hi I'm Rose

Hi rose and all,

I was banded 8-17-10 and I did very well, I have healed up well and have lost 21 lbs so far. I had my first fill 9-24 and I was so nervous about that and really nervous about the banding. But it all went well and the pain level was not bad at all. I only needed toradol post op and had no opiates, I liked that because I get so nauseated historically.

I was one of those who went to Mexico, because I could not afford it otherwise and I have no complaints at all. I am 56 and my BMI was 44 to start. I am so thrilled I did it but I can plainly see it is a tool and I must use it and do my part,so get ready because it is not a miracle but what a help not to be so hungry and to be able to eat such petite amounts and be satisfied for hours, I love that...B)

I appreciate this information/feedback from you all so much! What you have described really sounds reassuring and exactly what I hope my experience will be like. A lot of the people having this surgery are younger and I wondered if it would be harder to be my age and have it. Doesn't sound like it from what you've said. I'll be 56 in a month. Thanks for sharing your story with me!

Hi Rose! I'm getting banded 10/8 by Dr. Francis, but I'm in the opposite boat I think... I keep trying to feel something about this at all... I am just relaxed and "chill" about the whole thing, I think because I researched to long and completely and because I'm ready. The only thing I'm not feeling is the IV. Im always freaked out by the IV.

I hate IV's too. I am such a worrier but as you said I am ready for this part to be over. I am trying to take one day at a time. Thanks for your response! I appreciate it. B)

Rose, I am getting banded on Oct 7th. I am so excited and a bit nervous too so I understand where you are coming from. Hope to see your progress on here, good luck

Amber

Thanks - you too! The neat thing about reading the comments on here is that it makes you feel like you're not in this alone. I appreciate that. Good luck!! B)

Edited by RUMiller
misspelling

Let me start my saying that everyone is different. That said I am 20 hours out from surgery and I feel really, really, good. I am a big baby when it's comes to pain. For me the IV and nausea just after surgery were my biggest fears.

I really impressed this to my doctor and she said she would use all the meds she day to prevent nausea. To my great delight I did not have any nausea at all. I feel real sore but could not really call it pain. To be honest I felt worse after a personnal trainer worked me over for 30 minutes a couple yers ago. I could not move without pain and was eating meds like they were candy. So far with the band I have not had any pain meds since a small dose in the IV just as I was comming to. In hine sight I really did not even need it. I was just afraid that if I did not have it the pain would get to bad. It just has not for me. (Knock on wood) As far as the IV the RN was really good and I hardly felt it. I understand they can put numbing cream on first if you want.

Looking back all my worring was for nothing. It's like paying interest on a bill before you make it. How smart is that? Hopefully NOW I have learned this lesson.

Michele

Thanks for giving me a perspective from the "other side"! Sounds good and I hope I feel as good as you do right after my surgery. I am a big baby too but I had 2 C sections so I guess I can get through this. B)

Im scheduled for Oct 4th. Im at the point that Im just ready to get it over with! Good luck!

Good luck to you too!! Thanks for responding to my post. I feel like part of a cool new club. B)

Hi Rose!

I just found out today that my surgery date is October 8th! Very excited but nervous all the same. I look forward to getting to know you and look forward to reading about your success!

Jill

Thank you! People keep asking me if I'm excited and I'm more nervous than anything. Maybe when it gets closer. I definitely want to hear how everyone is doing as they go through this too. B)

Hi All, Rose i hope your surgery went well and can hardly wait to read your updates! I am totally new to this. My primary doc just refered me to a nutrionist, he said the 1st step of before surgery. Was told can take a couple of months to a year. What happens next? Does anyone have BSHMO i live is pasadena area.

Hi All, Rose i hope your surgery went well and can hardly wait to read your updates! I am totally new to this. My primary doc just refered me to a nutrionist, he said the 1st step of before surgery. Was told can take a couple of months to a year. What happens next? Does anyone have BSHMO i live is pasadena area.

My surgery isn't until next Tuesday. I started the process in January with my primary doctor referring me to a surgeon. Then paperwork, classes, meetings with doctors etc. Good luck! :drool:

Hi Rose! I'm getting banded 10/8 by Dr. Francis, but I'm in the opposite boat I think... I keep trying to feel something about this at all... I am just relaxed and "chill" about the whole thing, I think because I researched to long and completely and because I'm ready. The only thing I'm not feeling is the IV. Im always freaked out by the IV.

Dr. Francis is fantastic. My surgery was today and went very

well! The IV wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The nurse really knew what she was doing. Went to the hospital at 6 am - surgery at 9:30, in recovery by noon, home by 2:30. Sore but not unbearable. :thumbdown: I'm so glad it's over.

The doctor prescribed a liquid Vicodine which I took in recovery and once at home but I don't think I need more tonight. I will be thinking of you on the 8th (and of the other October bandsters when their turns come) and will try to post updates when I can. I love how everyone supports each other here.

Dr. Francis is fantastic. My surgery was today and went very

well! The IV wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The nurse really knew what she was doing. Went to the hospital at 6 am - surgery at 9:30, in recovery by noon, home by 2:30. Sore but not unbearable. :thumbup: I'm so glad it's over.

The doctor prescribed a liquid Vicodine which I took in recovery and once at home but I don't think I need more tonight. I will be thinking of you on the 8th (and of the other October bandsters when their turns come) and will try to post updates when I can. I love how everyone supports each other here.

RUMiller -

My surgery was actually pushed to 10/5 at 7 am... I was the 1st surgery of the day, actually. I was in recovery at 9am (though I think I woke up at 10) and was discharged at noon. I'm having incision site pain, but otherwise am feeling really good. I think I actually need the liquid painkiller because the pain is pretty bad for me, but it's not working very well... vicodin has never really worked for me (at best it just makes me muddy-minded, but does not dull the pain) ... Oh well, I'm otherwise feeling well... haven't been hungry at all in the past few days... and have definitely not been able to eat/drink as much as was listed on the sample liquid diet phase the nutritionist gave us... i think the pain is masking hunger, but we will see... hoping that when the pain is gone and when I finally get a "fill" that I'm able to feel the food... otherwise I may develop OCD about my food intake..

Hi Rose :thumbup:

I just joined the site and wanted to wish you a speedy comfortable recovery and hope that you enjoy your weight loss journey xx

Take care

RUMiller -

My surgery was actually pushed to 10/5 at 7 am... I was the 1st surgery of the day, actually. I was in recovery at 9am (though I think I woke up at 10) and was discharged at noon. I'm having incision site pain, but otherwise am feeling really good. I think I actually need the liquid painkiller because the pain is pretty bad for me, but it's not working very well... vicodin has never really worked for me (at best it just makes me muddy-minded, but does not dull the pain) ... Oh well, I'm otherwise feeling well... haven't been hungry at all in the past few days... and have definitely not been able to eat/drink as much as was listed on the sample liquid diet phase the nutritionist gave us... i think the pain is masking hunger, but we will see... hoping that when the pain is gone and when I finally get a "fill" that I'm able to feel the food... otherwise I may develop OCD about my food intake..

Wow, that means you were right before me! I was second that day. I too have had a hard time trying to get all the liquid they want us to get daily. I am healing pretty well but the place where the port is is sore. Haven't been hungry at all either. Have been drinking Isopure liquid Protein drink from Vitamin Shoppe. It has 40 mg of Protein in it and I'm trying to drink one a day in addition to Water. I like Alpine Punch flavor. Let me know if you find anything that you think is great. I'm not a big fan of yogurt or pudding. Good luck in your recovery--

I just joined the site and wanted to wish you a speedy comfortable recovery and hope that you enjoy your weight loss journey xx

Take care

Thank you -- Looks like you are doing great! I hope that I can be as successful. Any tips to share?

Thank you -- Looks like you are doing great! I hope that I can be as successful. Any tips to share?

I would say , don't expect to have great restriction from the get go. After the recovery (liquids then slushies stage) you might be suprised you can still eat larger portions than you expected.

Things that still go down like choc ice cream and chips will need some will power to manage as the band cannot stop you from having these.

There is a degree of restrictive feeling even if nothing is in your band so it will be a lot easier to stick to a healthy eating plan.

From my experience as a UK bander, I know that some surgeons will put a little saline in at the time of surgery but most leave it empty.

As soon as you feel well in yourself, begin a gentle walk daily , say about 30 mins a dayto start with but be careful of trying to get back into housework etc too soon. Get some help around the house organised for the first couple weeks after.

Plan your meals and don't be afraid to eat every 4 hours.

If you choose healthy it will help you stick to a good eating plan until you get to noticeable restriction and you won't fall off the wagon.

Hope thats useful but feel free to ask anything x

Hi Rose :biggrin:

I would say , don't expect to have great restriction from the get go. After the recovery (liquids then slushies stage) you might be suprised you can still eat larger portions than you expected.

Things that still go down like choc ice cream and chips will need some will power to manage as the band cannot stop you from having these.

There is a degree of restrictive feeling even if nothing is in your band so it will be a lot easier to stick to a healthy eating plan.

From my experience as a UK bander, I know that some surgeons will put a little saline in at the time of surgery but most leave it empty.

As soon as you feel well in yourself, begin a gentle walk daily , say about 30 mins a dayto start with but be careful of trying to get back into housework etc too soon. Get some help around the house organised for the first couple weeks after.

Plan your meals and don't be afraid to eat every 4 hours.

If you choose healthy it will help you stick to a good eating plan until you get to noticeable restriction and you won't fall off the wagon.

Hope thats useful but feel free to ask anything x

Thank you! I appreciate any and all info that I can get. :thumbup: