Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had my surgery

I just had my surgery on Thursday the 23rd. I go back to work tomorrow. My goal is to lose a total of about 127 pounds from the time I started this journey 8 months ago to my goal weight. I am currently at 34 pounds! Only about 93 to go! I am a married mother of one and have a great support system. I am looking forward to being healthier and happier. I started a blog, My road to the lap band if you want to read a step by step of my journey and keep up with my progress!

OMG. Thank you for posting the info about your blog. However, I'm even more scared now to become "banded". Please continue to update us and let us know how you are doing. Keep up the great work!

Oh darling I do not in any way mean to scare anyone out of the band. I am almost a week out since my surgery and I feel great. I was scared about how I was going to feel, if I was going to feel "different." But, I don't, I actually feel good. I am about to start re-incorporating soft foods into my diet and am excited at all the possibilities. My husband has been helping me find some great recipes. The best part was when someone noticed at work today that I was losing weight! Talk about making me feel wonderful! It was a long journey to get to my surgery, but it is so worth it! I know that every time I look at my son and know that I am going to be here for him!!! Please ask me anything you want. I am here to be an ear to listen, answer questions based on what I have experienced, and just be here to support everyone on here. This is a hard journey that we are all embarking on, but we can do it together! (Not to sound corny!) Talk to you all soon!:smile2:

i just had my surgery on sept.28th 2010, I am having a hard time sleeping and it hurts to get up from any position. are you still having pains? My Dr advised me that I had a hernia that he fixed during the procedure so maybe this could be adding to my pains.

Randy,

Try crawling onto all 4's to get in and out of bed. sleeping, I found sleeping on my back or my left side was okay...but yeah, sleeping on my left was out of the question for about 3 weeks. I can now sleep that way. IT GETS BETTER!!!

Sorry, I forget the person's name that said she was nervous about banding...all I can say is GO FOR IT! It was the best decision I've ever made. I'm down 38lbs (about 70 more to go) and I'm 7 weeks post op. :drool:

Thanks for the thread, and I look forward to your blog as well. I am hoping to meet people who have had banding, so I can just bounce ideas/recipes and ask questions etc. I too have a great support system...but they've not done this...so as helpful as they are...they don't completely understand. My husband has also been looking for recipes and healthier stuff to eat, etc.

Hi there! I have also have just had my banding done (last thursday) and I must say have felt pretty average until today(day 4).

I actually slept in bed last night and was able to turn over both sides and I think that was why I feel like a normal person today:thumbup: I have lost 10lbs and feel really good but a bit tired which I guess is understandable. This is a great website as I live a fairly remote part of Australia so love to read others posts to see if what is happening to me, others are also experiencing. All of our journeys are individual though and it is good to know that there are others out there to encourage and share their stories. Love it, xo:heart:

Hey! I'm newly banded as well, it'll be a week on Tuesday. So far so good, the pain has subsided and I'm up and moving around more easily. I'm originally from CT so my surgeon and all other health care providers are located there and that's where I had my surgery even though I've relocated to RI. I had been staying at my parents' house right after surgery and just returned home yesterday so last night was the first night sleeping in my own bed and it felt pretty nice but my boyfriend was almost scared to sleep in bed because he didn't wanna move in his sleep in hurt me, he's so thoughtful. But tomorrow's the big day when I return to classes at school and I'm hoping I'll be able to withstand sitting through an hour and 40 minute classes and sometimes three hour classes, luckily tomorrow I only have one class and it's a short one. I can't wait to move on to mushies, only one more week, yay! This is gonna be a long process but I'm ready for this change. Best of luck to all you soon-to-be bandsters. :)

Ha ha, I think my husband was the same last night. He must have slept right on the edge of the bed and clung like a cat for fear of giving me a dig in the tummy!

I have done some housework today but am taking it pretty easy, I think it is an age thing too (takes me a while to recover from a lot of stuff nowdays, lol!)

Good luck to all those going back to work, did you tell any of your co-workers? I have only told my very close friends and family and being a stay at home mum dont have to deal with the questioning. Not sure what it will be like going out for lunch with friends though, any ideas on how to handle social occasions?

Not sure what it will be like going out for lunch with friends though, any ideas on how to handle social occasions?

That's a good question. One of my close friends had the surgery about a year and a half ago and I've been lucky to experience her eating habits when she's gone out with us. If it's a good band day and she's not having trouble with food getting stuck or anything she'll see what's on the children's menu and order off of that, taking the left overs home for another meal or two. Sometimes mix and match with two side dishes that go well enough together to make a little meal of her own. It's cheap and just the right amount of food for her. She hasn't had any trouble going out and seems to enjoy herself each time she does, I guess you could say she's well adjusted. :)

Thanks for that! I cant imagine eating "normally" at the moment, but I had to decline an invite to lunch today and it set me thinking!

It is a great ideal to order off the kids menu, although here in Oz, it seems that most of the kids food is deep fried crap or cheese loaded pasta/pizza. I should have taken more notice "preop" at what would be suitable, most restaurants and cafes have Soup though.

What I have found with the band so far is it has made me super mindful of what I am putting in my mouth all the time, and how much, whereas before I would almost eat without thinking.Like many on the forum have said, the band is only part of the process and our minds are the other.

I think I will have to try and find others in my area who may have had the proceedure and pick their brains as well! xo

Hey all! Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I was banded and I feel great! All the chest and shoulder pain has subsided and I have my first tightening next week! I can't wait! Everyone keep me posted on how you are doing!