Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have pets?

Whenever I have to see a new doctor or a new shrink I always dread the inevitable question about my “support system.” Fact is, my support system is me, myself, and I. I have no family nearby (thank goodness!) and haven’t made any friends since I moved here three years ago. So I always tell the doctor the only time I’m around other people is when I’m at work. The rest of the time, I’m at home with my cat, and that’s just fine with me. Then I get the inevitable lecture about how I need to “get out there” and “meet new people.” As if it’s that easy.

I always say that my cat is pretty good company. Better than most people I know. My cat doesn’t care what I look like or how much I weigh. I’d probably be really lonely without him. I know lots of people are just as isolated as I am and I wonder if obese people are more likely to have pets than other people.

Do you have any pets? (Children do not count)

I have a parrotlet (mini parrot about 2 inches high and 3 inches long) that is wonderful company! He is glad to see me when I come home but doesn't require constant attention. He loves to snuggle up at the b ack of my neck under my hair and chirps to me. My two sons gave him to me foro Christmas 3 years ago, and I'd miss him trmendously if anything happened to him. Since they live up to 30 years, he may outlive me!

I think you're fortunate that you enjoy your own company and don't need tons of people around. I'm the same way. Besides, I work at a chamber of commerce and deal with people all day and am really ready for some alone time by the end of the day. So I understand...just so you're not alone because you're depressed or afraid to meet people...

Emily

DH and I are owned by a red and white AKC registered Basset Hound named Ethan James. I also have a Black Labrador named Harley who lives in Michigan on my parent's acreage. (He didn't like the city life here.) Both boys are considered my sons and are spoiled as often as possible. They have both me adjust to the many changes in my life in the past 3 years. Sometimes they are a better support system than my human family and friends.

I live close to my mom and her boyfriend and my younger sister, and I live with my fiancee (who I met online). Other than that, there's really no people I hang out with other than work folks (at work, not often after unless it's a work function). Then it's our 2 cats. I got my Azriel after a breakup when I was living alone. I was thinking about getting a pet when I got an email from a previous co-worker saying she'd found a kitten in a tree but couldn't keep it, would anyone like it. She got a bit prissy when Mike moved in, and even prissier when we got Fuzzbutt for him, but now that she knows they are both here to stay, she back to being my snuggle kitty. If I am downstairs, and she is upstairs, she'll meow demanding I come up and see her.

I haven't made any effort to meet any more people friends. My youngest sister creates more than enough drama in my life :)

I have a beautiful cocker spaniel, party mix, which means black and white. She is my constant companion since my husband moved out. she was "his" dog before that but now she will not let me out of her site for very long. And this past month when I have been so depressed she will not leave me alone for more than long enough for her to go outside and pee. She knows i am not emotionaly stable right now is there to beg for afection al day!!

My kids are a better support than she is but she loves me unconditionally!!

I have two of the most amazing, remarkable, loveable fur babies in the world. I just lost my 15 year old sweet Kitty Milo to old age, too. Being overweight has nothing to do with owning pets because I know tons of thin people who are just as in love.

Doctors and studies do show that pet ownership helps with stress. I've even read pet owners live longer.

Cats are wonderful but dogs are more like people. My cat was the best companion ever, but cats are funny and come and go as they please, while dogs follow your every step. I miss my kitty terribly, but I have the love of my two dogs to keep me filled up with life for a long time.

I love my black and white cocker mix SISSY, she has an underbite so her bottom teeth are always showing. SHe is so much fun and loving and when she is not feeling well, I am down and vice versa. She can sleep longer than anyone I know and since she is home inside all day when we go to work that is exactly what she does. We got her from a no kill shelter in the Dallas area and couldn't have been bleesed by a better pet. Money has been short lately so she hasn't gotten her regular haircut in a few months and she is getting mutton chops. I wouldn't know what to do without her and I sooo wasn't an animal person. I am hooked now!

I have two boys, Sisco, my black dog and his brother, Verb the kitty. They are my family. I never flinch when asked if I have children, support or whatever. They are it. Right now I have a wonderful man in my life but people can come and go so fast. My boys are always with me and they come first.

Don't let anyone make you think you need more than you have. If you are happy and your kitty gives you strength and love, good for you! My boys are spoiled rotten and I wouldn't have it any other way. The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!

We have a cat, she's my pet and really only responds to me and Fraser (my oldest son). My husband feeds her every morning, but she'd never choose him to sit on, the minute I sit down she's there jumping into my lap.

I love cats. I'm not a dog person at all. They give me the heebie jeebies.

I have a 6 year old black lab/dalmation mix named Sebastian. He's my first born. He's been prematurely gray around his muzzle since he was a puppy so people tend to think he's older. I also have a 5 year old cat named Tasha. She's a pastel calico.

Just remembered... I have to go shopping for their Christmas stockings. :)

We have 2 cats and a dog - oh and an albino frog. They are all unique individuals and totally lovable - the frog not so much as the furry ones though. We just adopted our newest cat from the animal shelter. My daughter volunteers there and though our condition was that she couldn't bring anything home she just couldn't resist this one. She's a great judge of animal character - hope it will carry through to people character when she starts dating. :)

I have a lab/whippet mix named Kaliber, a pit bull named Isis, a pit bull mix named Godiva, a fat tabby cat (she needs a Cat Band) named Jesper, a fish tank inside, and a pond in my backyard with goldfish, koi, snails, and a crawdad. My pets are a huge part of my support system. They made me get out of bed to feed them etc after my surgery! If it weren't for the encouragement of my dogs and my DH I wouldn't walk for exersize like I do now!

I have to agree with my brother, who has a red heeler (Australian herding dog), and says his dog is better company than most of the people he knows. The older I get, the pickier I get about who I choose to spend my free time with. You can't find many people who give you unconditional adoration like our pets do!

Emily

i have 2 cats,1 dog ,1 turtle, and fish.

I'm vet asst so i'm around animals all the time. Love them, love my job.

I have a chihuahua Lupie 10 chocolate brown with alot of gray 3 pounds. My baby. then Sierra My aussie red tri 5 with a beautiful white mane. She is SOOOO smart 40 #'s. then Akilla (she used to bite my husbands achilles when she was a pup) she is 4 and a leapord dog all colors not so smart but a runner long and sleek 60 #'s tall.They make us very happy. Especiallly when Lupie lets everyone know she is the alpha

Sierra is laying on her back on my husbands lap lupie is curled up under the pillow and akilla is sleeping with my son.

Gnight

Elda