Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions and Ramblings

Hello All;

I was banded in 2007. I quickly lost 72 lbs in about 18 months.

I have a band that holds 4cc of saline..I have it filled to 3.5cc. I just had a fill 2 weeks ago..the first fill I've had in a year. The Dr. said it's all about the calories and I just need to diet. REALLY...if I had known there was a big chance of gaining the weight back ..I would have chosen another form of weight loss surgery.

I've lost NO weight since the first 18 months. I get stuck at times but it's because I eat too quickly. My hunger is BACK...I think of food all the time again.

When I was first banded I wasn't hungry. WOW what a blessing that was.

I've gained 15 lbs..I'm totally afraid and very upset with myself..but it's like the hunger is back.

Anyone have the same problem and the solution?

The next question:

I had the fill of .2 two weeks ago. My Doctor allowed the nurse to try to fill me. I really think it was her first time. The Dr. stepped out of the room and she started to poke me with the needle. I told her I thought the port was over in was this position and she said no it wasn't and continued to insert the needle. She pressed so hard with the needle I thought if she missed she was go through to my heart or lung..I really was in a panic..about that time I heard a big pop and she said she *hit the metal!!!!* and was going to stick me again!!! I told her NO. About that time the Dr. came in and started teasing with me...I think he knew something was wrong. He stuck the port site, added the .2cc. The real port sight and the nurses port site is about 4 inches apart. She was sticking me in the band.

This is 2 weeks later and I still have a BIG purple bruise where the tissue bled around **the metal?**.

I really don't have any new restriction.. In fact I feel more hungry and can eat more. I really was afraid the *nurse* might have poked a hole in the band but I don't really know.

I don't want to be an alarmist.

I just want to feel NOT HUNGRY like I did when I was first banded.

Thanks for listening and if you have any tips, advice, etc. Please help.

UUMMM What Metal is in the band or port?? that nurse just didnt know what she was doing and should never have done it to begin with, That's why we pay the big bucks for "To Have the DOCTOR" do the fill....Again What metal is in the port or Band.... just a newbie here but NONE that I know of and I have done a lot of research on the Lap Band before I got mine...Good luck hope you find restriction again soon...

I have a 4cc band with 2.8cc in it. I was banded in 2005. I guess I lost weight in the first 18 months - 2 years and then not since, but I was lucky, that weight loss got me down to a BMI of 22.

I'd have to say I share a similar experience. I am back to a "normal appetite". When I say that I mean I get hungry, I have what I consider more interest in food than a naturally slim person and I am always ready and able to eat inappropriately. The band just doesnt provide appetite control forever. But I really DO think I'm less hungry and interested than I would be without the band and when i do cave, I cant do the damage I once did.

The main difference is that I havent ever regained any weight. How have I done this? Well, I dont precisely know, there's a bit of luck in there, but here are my main reasons why I think I've not regained:

I never 'dieted' in the first place. I lost weight on a normal food plan, I didnt cut food groups and do crazy things or try to eat insane amounts of Protein in a day and I lost weight on a healthy 1300 to 1500 calories a day. Therefore, I cant go "off" my diet and I havent ruined my metabolism by starving my body for a year or more on less than 1000 a day.

I exercised all the way through my weight loss and I still do exercise - I never stop challenging myself and I do more exercise now than I did when losing. The fitter I get, the harder I work. I exercise for an hour most days of the week and I will NEVER give this up. I dont let anything get in my way and I definitely think of it in terms of burning up those small treats I've had in a day.

I continue to monitor my diet in that if I have had a few bad days, I do try to make up for it. I continually pull myself back on track and simply never ever lose sight of the fact that I cannot eat what I want (even though I say I lost weight eating what I want, I dont mean whatever I want in any quantity I desire!). I will eat chocolate if I want to, but I dont do it every single day.

I accept that I'm a person who has an illness and it must be managed for life. I really dont expect to ever wake up and feel "cured" and I truly view my band as a weapon or tool to help me fight it, not an end in itself.

Unfortunately, if my body is anything to go by, once youv'e had a large weight loss like we've had, if you regain, losing it means hardcore, oldfashioned dieting. There's no more of this cutting back a little and watching the pounds fall off. But its way more doable than it was before the band.

I hope that's helpful, I know everyone says that they know their band is a tool, but so many people sound like they really cant quite accept that. This is a long hard road, and you dont ever really arrivea t a destination. Not to depress you but you dont, you have to manage this thing for life. I hope you can get the gist of what I'm saying and not see the downside of it. But I certainly wouldnt wait around to see if your band is punctured either, I'd be back soon to have the Fluid checked!

Edited by Jachut

Thanks for your post, I was also banded 5 years ago and it was not until recently that I have been able to eat, eat, eat! I have not had a fill in over a year and I think that it is about that time. It is just great to hear from those that have been banded some time and are still banded, thanks.

"if I had known there was a big chance of gaining the weight back ..I would have chosen another form of weight loss surgery"

What other surgery would you have chosen? Personally I chose to be banded because I didn't want to deal with the long term malabsorption affects of gastric bypass. I also wanted to be able to have my morning espresso since I work so many hours and have a demanding job, it tends to keep my focus sharp. I also wanted to actually have to work to get in shape and take better care of my body for the long term (my problem is portion control).

One thing my surgeon told me is with the band surgery, it's not the final surgery you can do. You can always convert to a bypass or a sleeve if you want to. Personally I would want to work on my own eating and fitness issues before doing something as drastic again!

One thing my surgeon told me is with the band surgery, it's not the final surgery you can do. You can always convert to a bypass or a sleeve if you want to.

Sorry this is off topic, but I've been wondering this for a while now. Thank you.