Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upcoming Surgery - Food Restriction Fears

Hey, all, I am five days away, getting the band on Monday, and I find it weird I am not nervous about the surgery, I am nervous about what I will be able to eat after the surgery. I know people say their diets change, and I'm sure mine will to, but I feel that certain foods are so part of my identity, I don't know how I will give them up. I grew up around food, in a family of obese people always making food, buyig food, pushing food. I eat limited things, and I know that must change, but I enjoy what I eat and I wish I could just continue that wat but with much smaller portions...I know everyone is different, and it all depends on how their band works for them, but if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask if you could tell me how long it's been since you were banded and if you can eat any of the following:

pizza

Flaky Dough Pastry (Like in a deli roll or crossaint)

Bagel or doughy type bread

Cake (Spongy cake in particular)

Rice

Pasta

Chinese food (Especially Dumplings and wontons)

Fried Foods, like french fried and chicken nuggets

Thanks for your help, Adam

Hi Adam,

I had my surgery on 6/1/10 and have lost 51 lbs since. I've found that after healing, I can eat virtually anything but just not very much of it or very fast. If I eat too quickly, it comes back up. I avoid pretty much all of those things you mentioned for the most part because they aren't conducive to losing weight. I do eat pizza but it's a very thin crust. I don't like to eat very much bread because it sits like a stone in my stomach so when I do eat it, I eat small amounts and chew very carefully. I've found that lots of quality Protein, good complex carbs - veggies and whole grains, and low fat is the best bet and it works. Good luck!

My Dr. told me pizza was ok if you take very small bites and chew well. Just can't eat it all the time. My problem was that I would eat 1/2 of a pizza at one time.

i was banded may 20th and have lost 40 lbs so far. on the above food you mentioned i don't eat any of it. i was told bread, Pasta, rice, fried food are off limits among some other foods. some people don't have problem eating them but me personally i'm not about to even try it. i don't want to get stuck and i don't feel that it's really very nutritional to eat it. if i can do without then i do without. yes i do crave some things but i tell myself i am allergic to it. i have a son that has severe allergies to ALOT of foods and wheat being one of them. he can't eat it at all or will die. he went cold turkey so i know if he can go without all these foods then i can too. :rolleyes2: on the fried foods why not bake them? nope it doesnt taste the same but really do you want to eat grease? and on the chinese food try egg drop Soup, stir fries or baked egg rolls. i just tend to avoid it all together unless i make it here at home where i can control what is put in it.

Well I can currently eat all those foods but I don't. It's not a big deal really. I'd rather lose the weight than to be able to eat pizza and bread you know?

I figure all diets make you give up something and all those diets never worked for me. At least with the band it will work and all I have to do is eat right and give up things like fried foods, breads and sodas. I'm fine with that:)

I did try some pizza with a "crispy" crust, and ate it very slowly, with very small bites. Went down well. Regular crust pizza, no way it was going down. I ended up eating 2 slices of the crispy crust pizza and I was full and not my usual 4 or 5 slices.

I think you will find it more helpful to think of food restrictions not in terms of "I can't," but rather in terms of, "I choose not to."

For the latter, you are in control.

I could probably tolerate most of the foods you've listed. I don't really know--I haven't had them. I choose not to, and I enjoy the weight loss. I don't miss them; if I did, I would occasionally enjoy a serving. Simple as that.

It's all about choices. You may truly enjoy many foods--but none of them really is part of your identity. It's just food. And you will still enjoy food.