Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so i went to buy groceries today. I have been banded for 1 week. I'm on a full diet and have a little restriction with meals but it doesn't last. So I have been hanging on by my finger tips to lose this week. I am down 5 pounds. So I get into the store and freak out. I just didn't know what to by and I wanted to get all the wrong items. I just couldn't focus on what was good for me. I just felt like I was going to fail the band and never be able to have children. So I purchased a few items and went to my car and cryed and cryed. Any one else have trouble shopping?

You are on solids allready at a week out?

For the longest time, I bought too much. Things would spoil before we could use up everything I bought. Even having a freezer didn't help.

Try shopping the perimeter of the store...That usually means Veggies, Fruits, meat, Milk, Other dairy, etc. Other aisles that are OK are the canned vegetable aisle and sometimes the coffee/tea and canned meat/ Soups aisles.

You want to avoid (or go very quickly and not stop if possible...lol) the aisles with breads, cereals, sugary things.

Hang in there.. this is a process. And be more gentle with yourself. :rolleyes2:

I always make a list before I go shopping. I buy just what's on the list. It will get better, you will find it habit to eat the right things.

it helps me to make up menu's for a few wks at a time. that they i incorporate new recipes or a new item i am wanting to try. make a grocery list and stick to it. the first few times i went to the store it took me forever because i was reading everything and i was very overwhelmed. i cried when i got home. but now it's a breeze since i do the menu's. did you do the liquids, mushies and then solids after surgery? a week out and on solids i think is a bit fast. i know everyone is diff and every dr is diff but there is no way in heck i could eat solids after a week. if you need some ideas go check out the food and nutriton forum or do a search on google or yahoo for recipes. i found ALOT and printed them off and have made myself a cookbook. even if you find a recipe and you might not like something in it you and improvise and make it to your liking.

a week out and on solids i think is a bit fast. i know everyone is diff and every dr is diff but there is no way in heck i could eat solids after a week. . [/quote

The MD said to increase my diet up to a full diet a week out. It was strange to me. When I questioned him. he said that I am a nurse so I should increase slowly until I am ready. LOL Sometime being a RN make MD think you know everything LOL We are still the patient. As for the the food. I'm doing really well. I can eat almost everything. That what is scary

lol seee everyone is different :rolleyes2:. my dr had me on liquids for 2 wks, mushies for 3 then solids for 1 week. then i went for my 6 wk check up. after that i was cleared to stay on solids. liquids pretty much sucked but i was starting to get pretty inventive lol. i think part of me was scared to eat...thought it would hurt and it did at times.

If it really is too difficult you might want to consider shopping online and either having your local grocery store deliver (most areas) or pick up after they've completed your order (this is how we do it as we live in the middle of NOWHERE) LOL. This way you don't have to put yourself in that position. I do it because it is worth my time to pay them $10 to do it for me.