Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I'm Liz. I'm not really sure where to start or what I'm supposed to put here. I am currently in the process of re-enrolling back into the program through Kaiser Richmond. I just had my first weigh-in today to start the process and I'm already down 6 lbs. :thumbup: (In a month and a half all I've done is no fast food, no soda, home/semi-home cooked meals. I only exercised 3 times.)

In case you're wondering, my understanding of getting re-enrolled back into the program requires 2 weigh-ins and a couple refresher classes. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone on here can correct me.

I can't remember when I first enrolled in the program, it's been a few years. In 2008 I was about 3lbs from my goal weight for surgery. I don't know what happened, but I started gaining the weight back. Then about a year ago I stopped going to the support group. 7/29/10 I weighed in at 3lbs over my starting weight (during a regular dr visit). But what made me want to re-enroll into the program and really do it this time, was talking to a client of mine (I'm a hairstylist) who had just gotten the gastric sleeve done. She encouraged me to re-enroll. So here I am. I finally feel like I am ready to lose the weight.

I have to say though, I'm torn between the band and the sleeve. I feel like the band is the right choice for me, but I have so many worries/doubts that I have to wonder if the sleeve would be better. Since I've got about 20 more lbs to go until I can have surgery anyway, I still have time to make up my mind, but I still worry about it. Plus it's kinda discouraging that there are no banders when I go to the support groups, it's all roux and y and a few sleeves. So I know exactly what to expect for roux and y, but I don't think that helps me as much since while they are similar surgeries, they are still different surgeries.

My biggest worry/fear is that I'll get banded and I'll be starving. I don't expect to never be hungry again. I mean like I'll eat my couple ounces of food and then even though my pouch will be full, I'll still be hungry b/c the bottom half of my stomach will still be empty. Does that make sense? Can someone please help me with this? I know how the band works but in my head it doesn't make sense.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone going from being banded to getting the gastric sleeve? I heard from someone who heard that there have been a couple cases where people who got banded were able to get the roux and y done b/c the band wasn't helping them lose weight even though they were doing everything how they were supposed to. Of course since I heard it from someone who heard it, idk how accurate that information is.

Has anyone here gotten banded and not told your family members? Acquaintances? Since I'm a hairstylist, I work with people I see on a regular basis and I don't want to say that I had surgery when the weight loss becomes noticeable, but I don't want to lie either. I just want to avoid any negative reactions. Same thing with certain family members. But I feel like they'll know somethings up if I'm shrinking and eating way less food than I used to. I have some major family issues. Advice?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions in the future.

~Liz

Hi Liz, I'm Dana. I'm also new to this. I'm planning on getting banded because I had some concerns over the sleeve. When I spoke to my doctor, he discussed the sleeve with me and I'm not comfortable with having 80% of my stomach removed.

As far as telling people, the only people I have told are my husband, my parents & sisters and a long-time neighbor (because she was me when I was in the hospital getting my pre-op tests done). Other than them, I have no immediate plans to tell anyone else. I especially don't want my in-laws to know until after the surgery because I need to hear positive comments and I know they'll say I'm taking the easy way out.

I've been overweight most of my life, with short periods of "skinny" mixed in. Getting this surgery was not an easy choice, I've debated this surgery for years. I've just gotten to the point where I feel like I need to do something if I want to see my son grow up. I know by taking the steps to have the surgery, I'm make a choice for healthier lifestyle. Today, I joined the gym and I'm starting to workout because I want to change and I WILL change.

Don't feel pressured to tell anyone. My friend (who referred me to her surgeon) had her surgery, has lost over 50 pounds (since March) and still hasn't told anyone. She just said she's working out and working with a nutritionist.

Good luck!!