Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going on a DIET

DeLarla

I stopped dieting years ago because I cracked up and threw my food scale at the wall last time I tried Weight Watchers. I guess those of us who have dieted our entire lives reach a breaking point where weighing, measuring or logging in food will send us to the Looney Bin. However, I've gained 11 pounds (have more chins than a Chinese phone book) and I gotta get real.

I'm seeing my Gastro again tomorrow in hopes of an endoscopy referral. I want my band either removed, or I want a port. The thing is useless inside me unless I actually use the thing.

My gastro referred me to my insurance plan's weight wellness department. I'm not sure what plan I will go with, but I'm dead serious. I'm talking about doing a full blown diet/exercise plan and was wondering if anyone wants to take something really serious with me.

I know it will be hell to stick to a plan, but I want to be thin ONCE in my life.

Please add your suggested diet plans. I'm curious about the Southbeach Diet and other diets that allow "free" veggies. I'm not going to do a Protein diet because I don't believe in them, plus I got really ill on Atkins.< /p>

What's the latest in realistic dieting?

What's the latest in realistic dieting?

Taking in fewer calories than you expend. :P

Sorry about that. I wish you the best with your endeavor! Whatever you do, adding or upping your exercise is also going to help. But of course you know that, like you know what's "new" in realistic dieting.

Hey there band sis. I am with you. Since I don't have my band anymore I am looking at cutting back on calories and increasing exercise.

Hey, let's do Jenny Craig? Maybe we will become the "FAT ACTRESSES"!!

Where is my boa?

Low carb diets will work but you have to make it a life time commitment because once you go back to eating carbs you will gain FAST!!

How about the Mediterranean Diet? Its loaded with veggies and its a very healthy way of eating. My friend lost 87 lbs on it and she's got 10 more to go. She looks amazing. Your even allowed wine.

http://www.mediterraneandiet.gr/index.html

Personally I've never done good with WW, Nutrasystem or any of those diets but this way of eating is very healthy and you get to eat alot of veggies. Just set a calories level and follow the guidelines. No diet is easy thats for sure, guess thats why they don't like to call this a diet. Its a way of life.

Ok no one hit me, I have been eating to the point of PB, like my band has made me a freakin bulemic. I have continue to lose weight though, slower than usual but about 2 pounds a week with no exercise. So I know that is not a plan and I will no longer do this since I just read what I typed and figure I would yell at anyone else on hear that said it. I will blame it on the stress of the holidays and finals at school while working a 50 hour week at work too. Diets suck, sorry I can't help!

The thing is useless inside me unless I actually use the thing.

Yikes. I couldn't disagree more. I think you underestimate it's unfilled potential.

Left on my own, I'm a pitiful weight loser. This is one of the things I have learned being banded. I still need some some kind of plan and structure. Loose structure, but rules, nonetheless. My band is what makes it possible to keep at it through the "falls off the wagon", through stress-eating, through eating for the hell of it, whatever. My band helps me to maintain some semblance of consistency with eating less food all around. Just less. It's a Diet mind that keeps me on track with good food choices. Some shun the Diet mentality, but it works for me when I think around my screwed-up brain. I have to shift gears all the time, but shift them I will, as long as I see pounds falling off, inches falling off, NSV's galore.

So, I happen to be fully supportive of whatever Diet keeps you meeting your goals until that fine day when you can/are willing to get a port.

Step 1 would be a food journal. Start by simply writing it all down. (yeah, I know) then you can look and see just what your problem areas are. (yeah, I know, you already know).

I can't suggest from here. Each time I think of something, I know you have all the reasons already lined up as to why it would be a)a waste of time b)a waste of money c)it won't work. Because I have a bit of you in me...stuff like that makes me mad and I get mad and blow it. Screw it. I'm eating Cheetoes, damnit.

So, since this Diet thing you are searching for is just a phase anyway, why waste your time and energy and money?

Just eat better, eat less, exercise more. Even with an unfilled band, it IS possible. In the end, it's what we all do anyway. Do yourself a favor and skip to the last step and use your band, however useless you think it is.

I really do adore you, ya know :)

Alex, it's your turn to duck from the flying shoes! And Kim, I'm right there with you and gave up on dieting long ago.

But Dr. Billy said that I never tried a diet while banded, and the band might make it easier.

I like the sound of the Med Diet since it looks like it's based on veggies. I actually know the answer to my own question, but I wanted to see if anyone was willing to at least give something one last desperate try. I want to weigh less than 200 pounds. I want to weigh less than 200 pounds. I want to weigh less than 200 pounds. The only way to do it is for me to know how many calories I'm consuming, and that involves a very ugly morbid word known as MATH.

Jenny Craig & Nutrisystem won't work for me since I've failed too many times, and they aren't realistic. They call a dry sponge and teaspoon of fake Tomato paste "pizza." I think I'll write my own diet and post it here. The Fast food Diet. Like a Protein shake for b-fast, a taco n' salad for lunch, a salad n' chick breast for dinner. Simple.

Thanks for your input!

I'm getting the lb surgery in Jan. and now I'm really confused and wondering about my decision.

First - I thought that the band had a port at the point of the "fill" location.

But you are saying you want the band out and should just get a port.

So. I'm lost.

Also, I swear you are the same bandsters that I've listened to and been totally encouraged by - or are you just having a bad time of it right now. Of course you are entitled (!!) But, what you are talking about doing - finding another "good diet" - that's exactly what I'm trying to get off of - the diet nightmare ride.

I will be the first to say I know much less about the real experience of the band than anyone - but I thought if your wgt loss ended for a long period of time or you were gaining weight that you needed to consider getting a fill.

Dear Girls - what's going on?

Patti

Patti, you have good reason to be confused ~ I tend to do that to people.

First, if you look at Band stats, you'll see that the average banded person loses about 1/2 of their excess body weight by restricting their caloric intake. But then many of us start falling back on bad food choices. Even though we can't eat large quantities, we can still get too many calories from fattening & unhealthy choices.

I lost 1/2 of what I wanted to lose, and now I'm slowly gaining due to eating junk food, snacking between meals, drinking, etc.

I'm a rare Bandster since I don't have a port. I lost my first port due to infection (they had to remove it.) Then I got a new port, but that one also got infected and was removed. So now I could really use a fill since my band isn't very tight, but I've been through so many complications and heartache over my band that I'm ready to throw in the towel. I'm no longer losing weight, so the band isn't doing me much good. Since I was banded in another country, my local US doctors won't help me.

I'm here to encourage people but also to let everyone know the truth. I don't sugar coat my posts because everyone should hear the good and the bad before getting banded. Nobody here will tell you that the band does all the work! The band is just a small tool to help restrict food, but it's up to YOU to stay away from goodies, fried foods, snacking, late night eating ~ you know, all the stuff that got us fat to begin with.

So, Delarla - you have the band. But it's adrift without a port in sight.

Sorry - it had to be said. And having said that I will follow it with another comment/question. I think i would be like you too - and just want it OUT since it's not connected in order to be adjusted - which is what it was all about in the first place.

(I will have to go back and ready your posts during those times to learn more about infected port areas).

You've probably been through all of this - but won't your original doctor take out the band since the port incident makes it ineffectual. Or does it?

When they say - loose 1/2 of their excess wgt, this means if I have 60 lbs to loose - I would be lucky to loose 30 in my first year on the band. Right?

Thanks and I don't like sugar coating either (unless it's on my donuts!)

Patti

You got it, Patti - the average weight loss for someone that has to lose 60 pounds would be about a 30 pound loss. But please keep in mind that we are ALL different, so some people might lose more, some might lose less. If you stick with the rules that your doctor gives you, you can lose all your weight sucessfully.

My doctor explained the "Honeymoon Period." In the beginning when we are first banded, we are all afraid to break the rules. We have this awesome new tool that makes it hard to eat, so we lost steadily. But little by little we tend to "test" our band. Hmmm, could I try just one piece of candy today? How about a small movie popcorn? A little extra dressing won't hurt.... The honeymoon ends and good food choices become more difficult.

However, many people are strong and continue to lose. I'm just telling you that Inamed (the maker of my band) has a list of statistics published, and according to them, the average person loses 1/2 of their excess weight by restricted eating, and the rest you really have to work at.

My original band surgeon is in another country. I live in the US but I had my surgery in Mexico. Due to all my complications, I've been back to Mexico 3 times for surgeries, plus I've traveled to another state for my last surgery. I'm cooked, I don't have it in me to travel any more. I'm tired of spending all my money on band maintenance. I want to live a little, not just devote my entire financial portfolio to this band.

But Dr. Billy said that I never tried a diet while banded, and the band might make it easier.

YES! Forget my first post...this is what I tried to say.

I keep forgetting not to go on and on with you...I know you can't sit still long enough to muddle through my ramblings!!!! Rock on, girl! What Dr Billy said...

Shai, Jen challenged me, so I suggest we start tomorrow. Putting half the food back is a great option for normal people, but my husband does the cooking. Half of my plate is still damn scary.

My biggest problem is my husband. No matter what I do or say, he refuses to help me lose weight. He really enjoys an eating partner, and he likes me a little fluffy. He gets irritated when I won't eat with him. I realize it's HIS problem and not mine, but try walking away from the rack of BBQ ribs he just cooked for himself! Even when he leaves me alone, the smells and quantities of food in his world are torture.

So I'm stopping at the store for my shake stuff & veggies. Today is a big joke due to our Christmas table that's piled with a disgusting amount of crap. And the real gifts haven't even started pouring in yet.

Let's all thank Penni who said she sent my work 2 boxes of Godiva. Sigh.

Simple equation...

If you want to weigh 180 - don't consume more than 1800 calories per day.

If you want to maintain 230 - consume 2300 per day.

Yes. It sucks... it sucks for me too.. cause this 180 I'm maintaining forces me to acknowledge - calories in.. yadda yadda... :)