Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

should i get a fill

I have been banded since May 25, 2010 and lost 64 lbs so far. I have had 3 fills and each fill has helped so much as far as controlling hunger and continuing weight loss. But this last fill has caused me to really slow down on the scale moving. I am not eating very much, about a cup at lunch and dinner and I have a Protein Drink for Breakfast. I haven't been very hungry and I can go 4 hours or more between meals. I have never been stuck or pb'd. So I don't know if I should get my next fill on Thursday or stay where I am for now. Should I increase my calories? I walk 2-5 miles every other day and I walk all day at work so I don't know if I need to increase my exercise. What would you do? Thanks.

I think you should delay your fill for a few weeks and see if this breaks itself. It sounds like you are doing everything right. I am afraid if you get an adjustment now you may end up too tight. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Best wishes,

Mimi

Thanks Mimilou. I am going to see how the next couple days go. But I think you may be right about not getting too tight. I dont want to cause problems that can be avoided. I guess I will see what the doctor says too. Maybe a tiny fill? It seems so hard to decide what's best.

I started losing again thank goodness. And saw my doctor today. She thinks I am close to the green zone. But she still put in .5cc to help with my bigger dinners. I hope this is the one. I did lose ten pounds this month.

Thanks for the update. That was a nice reasonable fill. Congratulations on your 10 pound loss, especially since you thought you were going on a plateau!!!!

Mimi

I am in the same boat I have had a total to 2 fills and am scheduled for my 3rd one on the 28th of this month. This past week I have had two episodes of PBing. I have been under a lot of stress (my father has been ill). One time I had eaten pork barbacue and the next time I had eaten a piece of cinnamon bread. It was and awful experience. I have not lost any weight and am afraid that is because I have not eaten a lot for fear of PBing again. I need your help I am 11weeks post op.

I had that with my last fill - because I had lost a good amount of weight and could still eat my Protein without the PBs, they held off on the fill until today. They did a fluro and saw that my band had loosened up (I had lost 20+ lbs since the last one) so they tweaked me a good one.

I would wait - you've lost a GREAT amount of weight and are doing really well right now. Remember - it will come off faster at first because you have more to lose. You're still doing an awesome job. The goal is to eventually get to 1-2 lbs per week for healthy loss. I know it's hard - goodness knows I struggle with the same concept and I've only lost 56 lbs since March, but that's still 56 lbs that has made a BIG difference.

What they did for me is skipped the last fill and scheduled the next one for four weeks out. I would look at doing that. :)

You're doing great!:biggrin:

I was banded in late December and lost 40 lbs and then in April, I switched jobs and took in my mother in law. No weight loss since then and no fills (only had 1.5 fills total).

I dread seeing the doctor because I know he is going to be very ugly to me. I've been charting my food and staying within a 1500 cal range and exercising, but no weight loss. Have lost a few inches.

Pretty sure I need a fill. I don't feel much restriction at all.

Any advice?:)

I was banded in late December and lost 40 lbs and then in April, I switched jobs and took in my mother in law. No weight loss since then and no fills (only had 1.5 fills total).

I dread seeing the doctor because I know he is going to be very ugly to me. I've been charting my food and staying within a 1500 cal range and exercising, but no weight loss. Have lost a few inches.

Pretty sure I need a fill. I don't feel much restriction at all.

Any advice?:unsure:

Well, here is my take. Your doctor should NOT be ugly with you at all. You're a human, not some pawn for him to mess with. That makes me so mad to hear that surgeons get on their patients. :crying: We need SUPPORT. Not belittling.

I would go in, explain the situation and request a fill. If they get nasty, I would try to switch doctors. You are doing the best you can and anyone else would be in the same shoes. Life happens. They need to deal with it.

Hugs to you! :tongue2:

I was going to say if MY doctor got ugly with me I would get a new doctor! LOL I am thankful that my doctor is fabulous and doesn't lecture or make you feel stupid if you slip up....they should allow you to make mistakes and learn along this journey....I think a LOT of the reason some folks are not sucessful with their lapband is that they start to slip up and if they gain any weight or aren't losing they are hesitant to go back to the doctor, for fear of getting in trouble....I guess for me I would put a positive spin on it, go back to the doctor to get yourself back on track and be honest with them, tell them you know you haven't done as well as you would like and that is why you are there! You can do it!! Good luck!

Thanks. I would love to get him on tape and post it on youtube. I've seen people leave crying because he is so callous and rude. I've just got to tune him out and get the fill. I'm going to call for an appointment today.

You also need to remember that your body will go through periods of plateaus. It's natural, your body needs time to adjust to the rapid weight loss. And get a new Dr if he treats you like that. My Dr scolded me once, but that was because I should have come in way sooner, because I didn't go in for an unfill. He was concerened because I couldn't even keep Water down. ugh. But don't let the a Dr, or NP or whoever does your fills, belittle you. It's detrimental to the whole process.

I have to agree. It is bad enough when you are already feeling down. Don't let your doctor mistreat you in any way. I would find a new doctor that will encourage you through the ups and downs. You are not married to your doctor, you don't have to leave his office in tears. Good luck. I hope you get the encouragement you need and a fill that will get you back on track. I have an awesome surgical team and I am lucky for that. I am down another 8 pounds since I first posted this. I have 30 more to lose.

I think I hit my green zone now too. I have been really stressed this week and can feel my band getting tight. Good luck to all of you and congratulations on all of your wonderful losses!