Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some advice, inspiration.. anything!

Hey everyone! My names Cat, and I've been in the process of looking into the lap band and other weight loss surgeries to help me with what my dr calls the "monumental" task of losing 200+lbs. I'm 26 years old, a mother to a hyper 15month old boy, a student in my 4th year of my bachelors and 2lbs shy of 400lbs. I recently had a consultation with a lap-band surgeon, and he said he has no reason he wouldn't perform the surgery, it's up to me, but with such a large amount of weight to lose, perhaps I should look into gastric by pass. At least talk with a surgeon and see what it's all about. He told me that with a lap-band, and at my current weight, with work and diet, I should expect to lose about 80lbs. Seeing as that's barely a dent in what I need to get gone, he said unless I'm that rare 1% of people who take it to the extreme, he wanted me to be aware of the average results. Although I appreciated his honesty... I was hoping for a more inspirational talk! lol. Anyway... I was just wondering what you fine group of people thought, and how you're feeling about your choice as a person of size to go with lap-band versus other options.

The other things weighing on my mind, which I dont want to decide the choice of surgery on, but hey, it's there, is my surgery would be out of pocket (and my pockets dont go very deep!) Where as gastric by pass or sleeve would be covered for me. Isn't that aweful?! At my size it's not a "cosmetic" surgery lol.

Thanks for listening guys, hope to hear back from some of you!

Edited by catincanada

I have been banded about 14 months. I have lost from 251 to 173. When I had lost 65 lbs my Surgeon said to take it easy from here on out. I told him I still wanted and needed to lose weight. He said I was a sucess, I had loss more than 50% of my excess weight and that is really all the surgery is expected to do. I have continued to lose weight slowly and would like to get to about 150.

If I was in your position I would choose the gastric bypass but that is just my opinion. The reason is you should be able to lose more weight. But it does come with more risks. I have been exposed to a lot of people who had the bypass at support group during the last year and they all seem to do really good, if they take all their supplements and eat right. I would had done the bypass if I had the money, but I was self-pay and it was just too much.

I love my band and have had really no problems at all. I have met people who have lost 100 lbs and one who lost 240 lbs with the band. I have also met someone who had the band and after 1 year she still was not losing even though she was following the rules so she had the bypass done and is so slim now and healthy but she is a nurse and does follow all the rules.

Do your research on all WLS and talk to people who have had them and Drs too. Go to some support group meetings. At the support group meetings you find out alot of information from people who had the different surgeries and are living that life style. Good luck to you and if you are a praying person pray and pray for direction on which path to take.

Cheri

Plenty of people manage to lose more than that with the band. The band is a tool and will work as well as you put it too work.

I am the same age as you, started off at the same weight as you, and had my surgery three months ago. I have already lost 70 pounds and plan to continue losing a lot more.

I am in the gym every day and feel fantastic!

Band is the way to go. Most minimally invasive procedure with the least risk of complication.

Good luck!

Hey Cheri,

Thank you so much for the reply. I've seen that there are quite a few people here who have been able to lose big with the band, which is very inspirational. I'm so glad to hear that the band has been working for you! I've been invited to attend a local lap band meeting group, which unfortunetly this month I couldn't make, but I'm for sure going next. I've talked to a few people on here, but I think perhaps in person it'll be a more profound things to hear and see. In the felsh so to speak. The next step I suppose, is to find people who've had gastric and talk to them about it.

In BC where I'm from, MSP doesn't cover lap band surgery, but they do cover gastric by-pass and gastric sleeve. It certainly would be easier just to say, forget the lapband, I can't afford that.. but I dont want to make this choice just based on the money, it's my future right! Need to make the right choice for me. I think it's silly they cover the other surgeries and not this one.

THanks again for the message!

Mariasha! That's so wonderful to hear! It's fantastic to hear someone who's my age and weight going through this and doing well :thumbup: I'm a determined person, but with all that's happened in the last 2 years to get me where I am right now, it'd be a difficult thing to get me to the gym everyday, but I do go for walks everyday, and chase after a running toddler! Man.. are my arms and shoulders strong lol.

I had that much to lose and did it. My first consultation was a year ago today and I am currently scheduling the surgery to remove my excess skin.

You can do it. Anything is possible with the right attitude.

Surgery is not a quick-fix. You are going to have to willing to work hard. The lapband is just a portion-control tool.

I had 201 lbs to lose. 9.5 months out, I've lost 117 lbs with about 85 lbs to go. I've worked at it, certainly, but not WORKED at it, if that makes sense.

I love my band, and highly recommend it, even to people who need to lose 200 lbs.

However, in your shoes, I would at least research and consider the other options. It seems lots of people are very happy with the sleeve.

Best of luck to you!

I had 201 lbs to lose. 9.5 months out, I've lost 117 lbs with about 85 lbs to go. I've worked at it, certainly, but not WORKED at it, if that makes sense.

I love my band, and highly recommend it, even to people who need to lose 200 lbs.

However, in your shoes, I would at least research and consider the other options. It seems lots of people are very happy with the sleeve.

Best of luck to you!

I have to agree with Amy. I'm sure that banding would work well for you, but insurance is limiting you. I never really considered the bypass or the sleeve. The whole idea of that kind of surgery just didn't sit well with me, but do your research and see what you think. There are plenty of happy sleeve and bypass patients. If it doesn't seem like the right fit for you, consider self-pay. I know it's incredibly expensive, but from my point of view, it is well worth it.

Cindy

Mariasha! That's so wonderful to hear! It's fantastic to hear someone who's my age and weight going through this and doing well :thumbup: I'm a determined person, but with all that's happened in the last 2 years to get me where I am right now, it'd be a difficult thing to get me to the gym everyday, but I do go for walks everyday, and chase after a running toddler! Man.. are my arms and shoulders strong lol.

Hi I am currently awaiting insurance approval for the Realize Band. My Brother Tony had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago. He had severe health issues including severe Diabetes. He did wonderful with the weight loss part. He lost 100 lbs in 6 months. I know that sounds like alot, but he was a bilateral amputee, having lost both legs below the knee from complications of Diabetes. He went on to lose 40 lbs more to complete his goal. One of the drawbacks for him was the side effects of malabsorption, dumping syndrome. He suffered with that aspect for the entire time. BUT Having th RNY changed his life. He was off of all prescription medications, went on to complete 2 college degrees and did live life to the fullest. I lost my brother Tony in June of this year. Although he had "kicked" being a diabetic, he had severe damage to both kidneys from the years of Diabetes being out of control. Before his death, he made me promise that I would not give up my dream of being healthy and I have not. He really wanted me to have the band because of the side effects he suffered with. I started researching the Realize Band last year, but waited until after my brother passed to pursue it. I wanted to be able to take care of him through his severe illness and death. Sorry for the unloading! The bottom line is that choices are just that...nobody can make them for you. You have to make an informed decision and totally be at peace with that decision...Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey!

I was close to your weight also at 388. In almost 7 months I am down to 326 (62lbs) and I am sure I would have lost more over the last couple of months but I was stalled because of lack of exercise and poor food choices and not enough fill in my band. It is something you will have to work at that's for sure. Good luck!

Hi I am currently awaiting insurance approval for the Realize Band. My Brother Tony had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago. He had severe health issues including severe Diabetes. He did wonderful with the weight loss part. He lost 100 lbs in 6 months. I know that sounds like alot, but he was a bilateral amputee, having lost both legs below the knee from complications of Diabetes. He went on to lose 40 lbs more to complete his goal. One of the drawbacks for him was the side effects of malabsorption, dumping syndrome. He suffered with that aspect for the entire time. BUT Having th RNY changed his life. He was off of all prescription medications, went on to complete 2 college degrees and did live life to the fullest. I lost my brother Tony in June of this year. Although he had "kicked" being a diabetic, he had severe damage to both kidneys from the years of Diabetes being out of control. Before his death, he made me promise that I would not give up my dream of being healthy and I have not. He really wanted me to have the band because of the side effects he suffered with. I started researching the Realize Band last year, but waited until after my brother passed to pursue it. I wanted to be able to take care of him through his severe illness and death. Sorry for the unloading! The bottom line is that choices are just that...nobody can make them for you. You have to make an informed decision and totally be at peace with that decision...Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey!

Oh Jillian! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your brother! I am happy to hear that he got to enjoy and fully live the life he did have, and it sounds like he had much love for you and you for him. I really have been doing my research, and the sounds of the gastric are really frightening, I wanted to go with lap band originally because it was minimally invasive, recovery time was fast (I have a running toddler.. can't be out of commission for too long!) and I'm sure that with the restrictions needed to make the band work, would really help me in my weight loss journey. My family dr said I should be looking into this now so that I dont run into more complications with health, such as diabetes, which both my parents suffer from. As well, I plan on having more children in life, and not only do I want to set a good example, I want to be able to survive the pregnancy a little easier than last time! Even though gastric by pass sounds freaky, I thought I should at least talk with a surgeon to hear it from him, since the other suggested I look into it. I'm so proud of everyone here who's working so hard!

I had no idea so many people have lost that much with the band. That is great!! I do love my Band and am so happy to have it, but . . .I still might have gone the other way if I had the money who knows? Just research and really do talk to people they will give you their story about the WLS.

Cheri